“Just a nice room”

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,501 helpful votes
“Just a nice room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Good location. Walkable distance from main attractions. Close to metro station.
Our room was comfy and nicely decorated but a little bit noisy. We stayed on the 6th floor (room 306) next the elevators and I could hear them all night long.
Based on my previous experience at Kimpton Hotels, breakfast is not impressive. Last time in S. Francisco the menu was poor and pricey. This time my experience was even worse. I ordered cereals and I was charged $3 for the milk. Is supposed to have cereals with no milk?!
The server in the breakfast area acted like an old cars salesman, impolite and pushy.
Room service charges $5 for cereals, hotel restaurant $7.
BTW, there is an Au Bon Pain just across the street. At weekdays you can get fresh bread, bagels and muffins.
Front desk staff was welcoming and attentive.
At $300/night I guess you can get better.

Room Tip: 306 is a little bit noisy, it's next to the elevators
Green Features: There are recycle bins in the rooms which is very positive
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HelenaGuerra
Michal P, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear HelenaGuerra,

I am very sorry to hear that you had less than a great stay with us.

I know that the team reached out to you about the cereal/milk issue, please let me know if this was not resolved to your satisfaction.

Thanks,
Michal.penek@onyxhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Serbian first
Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We drove from Nova Scotia Canada, arrived early and stored our luggage. Staff were very friendly and gave us a map and recommended a few things to do and suggestions for lunch.
Room was bright & clean, Free Wifi, fridge in room, A/C worked great, beds/pillows were very comfortable.
Excellent location, 1 block from TD Centre and a nice walk to Quincy Market
Restaurant: Food was great, we both had wraps/ fries and they were delicious and service was very quick
Wine reception: Unfortunately, due to my broken foot, could not attend
STAFF are amazing, could not do enough for us after I returned from a walk with a broken foot. They got me a wheelchair, ice, wheeled me up to our room, recommended a great hospital and continually asked if there was more that they could do. .
When we had to leave a day early because of my foot, there was no problem with adjusting our bill. At check out, the front desk clerk helped me out to our car and helped my husband with the luggage and refused a tip. They treated us like family.
We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Ian M,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I think we are blushing at this point :-)

I hope that your foot has fully healed and if it hasn't, hope the recovery is going well.

Thanks again,
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Loved this hotel, I am a fan of Kimpton's. This one was no exception, great attentive and friendly staff, well located, great vibe and resonably priced. We were able to walk to most everything from the hotel including the North End, Freedom Trail, Boston Commons. The T was only a short distance away for our longer excursions and trip to the airport.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thanks for the love Michele A! Glad you had a great time with us!

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is very welcoming and staff very friendly. The room is a decent size. Breakfast is basic more continental than American is which ok. Pre-arrival service they offer to prepare a photo of your loved one or pet which is a great idea. My friend in her room has 2 photos one of her loved one and one of some other person's family - so not great. The location is the key downside as its not really near to anything, Boston is a walking city but its away from the main hub. The best part of the hotel is their service they are very helpful and nothing was too much for them.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear smm2020,

I am happy to hear that you liked the hotel and staff. Looks like we goofed on the picture piece, sorry it didn't have the full effect.

Farmington, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The main reason we chose this hotel was the proximity to the train station. We were pleasantly surprised at just how close the hotel is. I felt that the neighborhood was a bit seedy, but never felt unsafe. It's a quick walk to Quincy Market and the North End. We even walked the 3 miles to Fenway. Hotel staff is very friendly and always greeted us upon entering the hotel. The room was small and had no view. We never even opened the drapes because all we could see was other rooms. There are certainly more central places to stay, but this hotel did the job for us.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for reviewing us skiqueen10, it's always good to hear the positives like our location and proximity as well as the negatives like the views from some of our rooms. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and hope that you choose to come back to us.

Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've been so nicely attended from the arrival untill departure. I cannot say enough. First of all, I was allowed to enter my room way before check-in time, cause room was available - but I dont know many hotels willing to do that. I mean they allowed me to enter the room at 9 AM - that impressed me a lot.

Later, the guys at reception were always willing to help, whenever I needed some info about tourist attraction - again - this is not common everywhere.

The food at the hotel was also great. Breakfast a little frutal for my taste, but man, for dinner they make some seriously tasteful burgers - better than others that I ate around Boston.

Location is superb if you plan to watch a game on TD Garden, which is one block away. It's also next to Cambridge. However, if you're planning to shop a lot on Newbury Street, well... the hotel is a little bit too far.

If you like running, it's also very next to The Esplanade, which is very nice. As for Boston Common, it's not near, not far. Overall, hotel has a very nice location but it depends on your plans.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear TomBrazil,

Thank you so much for this amazing review! It seems that you were able to enjoy what our hotel has to offer, what the restaurant has to offer, and of course our beautiful city.

I hope you choose to stay with us next time you are in Boston.

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We had a two night stay in Boston wanting to get to as much history as possible. The Onxy is a short (5- 10 mins) walk from the blue line subway from the airport. Very easy. The walk to the Freedom Trail and Faneuil Hall is about ten minutes. As others have said TD Garden is just down the street. A couple of bars are within the block. The nearest Dunkin' Donuts is three blocks away but we came to believe that anywhere in Boston is three blocks from a DD.

The room was smaller but had everything we needed and was well appointed and clean. We found the bathroom to be the right size with fixtures and layout that were pleasantly different than other hotels we had been staying at. The lounge/restaurant/ breakfast area is in the same space as the checkin counter and was often busy. We did not use the space.

Coffee in the morning and fruity water in the afternoon are complementary. The staff was certainly supportful but a bit detached. They always helped when asked and knew the neighborhood well.
We will consider this hotel again if in Boston.

Room Tip: Avoid being above the entrance. Staff and guests hang out outside there until quite late.
Green Features: Seemed environmentally oriented. No evidence about practices beyond the availability of community bikes (nice touch).
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review Brad J. I am glad that you found our location to be useful and that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I am really sorry that the staff seemed a bit detached, not something I hear often, but will be sure to share with the team.