“Fabulous selection of Italian foods”

Monica’s Mercato & Salumeria
Ranked #67 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: North End
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Ideal spot to buy really good deli times, cheeses, olives, olive oils and balsamic vinegar.
The staff is very helpful and willing to answer questions.
It is well worth a visit.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

If you're in the mood for a top shelf Italian style sub sandwich then this is your destination in the North End of Boston. This small shop hand slices their premium quality Italian cold cuts to order for your sandwich. The counter men will gently lay they freshly sliced meats and veggies onto a freshly baked roll. The sub roll is one of the best I've had in Boston, crispy on the outside, soft and chewy in the center providing the perfect frame for the marriage of meats, cheeses and veggies. They offer two sizes small and large. I would recommend the small as it's more than enough for a filling lunch.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

This is a great place to buy cold cuts and Italian groceries. The staff is knowledgable and helpful. I especially enjoy the artichokes in oil. They also carry chocolate that is usually only found in Europe. They have wine too. There are some prepared foods, fresh pasta and sandwiches that can be turned into a picnic to enjoy at the table a few blocks away on the Greenway.

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Other than Mike's Bakery this was the culinary highlight of my visit to Boston. We found this place when ny fiancee decided to go off the beaten path of Hanover and i thank God she did. This was the greatest sandwich of my life and for someone who travels nationally this says a lot. This even beats Primanti Bros in Pittsburgh. The olives and fresh pasta in the matket were also amazing. Do not leave Boston without trying this place. I will have dreams of that sandwich for a while.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

No kidding, literally the best sandwich ever. I was in Boston for the 1st time and was walking thru the North End area on the Freedom Trail when I ran across this shop. They had a hand-made sign on the door that said 'Best Italian sandwich in town'. I went in and ordered a large Italian which I then watched them make....slicing the meet and cheese only after I ordered. The meat was so fresh it literally melted in your mouth. I ordered a 2nd sandwich to go which my wife ate half of. She liked it so much we went back there again the next day.

Fast forward (6) months and my wife is now travelling to Boston for work on a regular basis. She goes into Monica's and they separate the ingredients into individual containers so that she can bring me a sandwich on the plane ride home. Good food...gooe people!!

1  Thank Mike S