“The valet is nice, but I hope you don't like hot water. You won't have any.”

Courtyard Boston Copley Square
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Williamsburg, Virginia
“The valet is nice, but I hope you don't like hot water. You won't have any.”
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I've written several reviews for Trip Advisor and use Trip Advisor for planning where to stay. I always look for two things when reading reviews--the date the person stayed and the objectivity of the review.

In all of my reviews, I've had wonderful experiences; however, our experience here was so awful that not only did we speak with the manager, but the manager gave us one of our two nights for free. Let me explain:

When we arrived, the front desk and valet were exceptionally wonderful. Absolutely marvelous, I cannot say enough nice things about them. After traveling for several days with few clean clothes left, I decided to wash some clothes while my boyfriend slept. The one washer and dryer available were a nice touch, but I cringe to think what would happen should more than one person want to wash clothes. Plus, the room is so small and so hot and musty that I actually had problems breathing. No worries, as I didn't plan to be in there long.

I went to take a shower while my clothes were washing; the shower, even after many, many minutes of running, had no hot water. Lukewarm would be a generous description. Also, there were small flying bugs, only a few that seemed to come from the drain mind you, but I do not pay additional occupancy for bugs in my room. I thought that perhaps the hot water situation would be remedied the next day and went to put my clothes in the dryer.

After the proper amount of time and while using the provided available wireless Internet in the lobby, I returned to fold my clothes. That would have been possible, had the one dryer not been so old and used so much that my clothes apparently pushed against the door and had quit drying some time ago. Again, no problem. I used every available space to hang clothes in the room so they could dry, since I had no intention of spending additional time in the small closet of a hot washroom to make sure the dryer worked as it should have. The rooms are tiny, by the way--comfortable enough for two people, but definitely small.

The next morning, my boyfriend went to take a never-warm shower; this time, he did call the front desk and alert them to the situation. The clerk reported the problem and a maintenance person did come immediately, which we were thrilled with, especially for a Sunday morning. After running the water for a while, he explained that there had been problems with the pipes and to run the water for a half-hour until it warmed up.

After a full day of touring on the trolly, a wonderful experience where you can get on and off the trolly at certain stops and stay as long as you like with the added bonus of wonderful drivers who are very knowledgeable, I wanted nothing more than a cold drink while my boyfriend rested. I bought a beer from the small fridge and had to ask the front staff to open the bottle, since I don't carry a bottle opener on my person. One of the staff made mention that he "never drink[s]" and was not able, as in didn't know how to, open my bottle. What someone does in his own time is his own business but that wasn't professional in the least. When I later bought another beer to take upstairs for my boyfriend, the other clerk said that it seemed I had already bought enough; perhaps she was joking but again, someone who is spending that kind of money for a room deserves a little less judgmental conversation.

The next day, after again being woken by the room next door making quite loud noise (I think it was more the people in the room than the room itself, since the dad was yelling at his kids at 6 a.m. Lovely, yes?), my boyfriend again tried to take a shower. He let the water run for 45 minutes before finally just taking a cold shower. I would almost attribute the coldness of the shower to so many people taxing the system, except I took a shower at 10 a.m. and it was still cold. I didn't notice any bugs this time, fortunately. We packed our stuff, said thank you to the housekeeping staff who were working hard and did a good job of keeping the place clean and left. How do I know the housekeeping staff kept the place clean? There was a vacuum cleaner parked half the day before in front of our elevator, right across from our room. It seemed more of a safety issue than anything, but it wasn't bothersome if you don't have children, bags, or anything in your hand and don't mind going around or moving a vacuum cleaner.

We told the front desk clerk about our issues and asked to speak to the manager; the desk clerk was wonderful and professional and even made small talk while we waited for the manager. She also mentioned that someone before us had made the exact same complaints--no hot water and bugs in the shower--about a room on the same floor. We spoke with the manager and politely explained what had happened, where he finally did take off one night's stay.

By the way, there are breakfast vouchers allowed in the mornings for a hot breakfast; steer clear if you can, though. It's not that great and I'm still waiting on my second cup of coffee. The kitchen staff seemed nice; the "hostess" seemed a little stressed by the six people in the room.

The valet was absolutely wonderful and very helpful, and one front desk clerk with the Irish accent (I'm so sorry I didn't get your name) was so helpful and willing to give us tips about things to do. I wish it had been a better stay and I wish I had better things to say; this was our last stop on a beautiful trip and had it not been for the city of Boston and the tour, the entire Boston trip would have been spoiled.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Amandolynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, NH
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Marriott Copley Square for our anniversary celebration and loved it. The room was immaculate. The staff was courteous and professional without being pushy. The location was ideal! All in all, a great time, we'll be back for sure!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Mount Airy, MD
Reviewed 27 July 2009

I recently stayed here while taking my daughter for college orientation. We were greeted by an extremely friendly gentleman at the front desk. Our flight had arrived earlier than our check in. He was quick to make a few calls to see if any room could be made ready earlier. He took our luggage and made suggestions where we could walk to have a meal. Within less than an hour he called our cell phone to tell us our room was ready. Every staff member we encountered was just as friendly. We had stayed at the larger Marriott Copley Square a few monthe s earlier. That was fine but this quaint Courtyard marriott far exceeded our expectations. We will use this hotel for all of our visits to Boston.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Nevada
Reviewed 23 July 2009

This hotel and staff are great however the hotel need some sprucing up. Our carpet was old and stained. The hotel location is fantastic and it is a quiet hotel. Near to the train station, shopping and atractions. The rooms are large and well appointed.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Portland Maine
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I went to Boston looking at local colleges, & it was actually my daughter who found this hotel off of it's twitter profile ( Twitter.com/BostonMarriott ) they offered a discount on the site for being a follower- There wasnt a huge difference but in this economy, every little bit counts. We were both pleasantly surprised by the great location, within walking distance to 3 of the 4 school she was looking at. Room with 2 queen beds was plenty of enough room for the two of us. Breakfast was pricey for what was offered but desk wasn't shy about giving us alternative options.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Courtyard Boston Copley Square, responded to this review, 4 August 2009
Thank you very much for your review, we love to hear about how guests find our hotel. For future reference, we've made it even easier to book our twitter rate directly from Marriott.com, Simply use PROMO CODE ZS7
Wiltshire
Reviewed 1 July 2009

Rooms small and dark. Air conditioning quiet. Bed comfy. Bath and shower good. Only ate breakfast in the hotel once; not great, but OK. If you want breakfast, walk onto Newbury St and find Charley's (3 or so blocks west).

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Metz, France
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights in April 2009. We booked a "1 Bedroom 2 room Suite, 2 Queen" and we enjoyed this suite a lot, both rooms were very spacious, the bedroom was light with 2 large queen beds and the other room was well furnished, both had a flat screen tv, the bathroom was clean and nice too. The hotel staff was welcoming and provided us an economic car shuttle to reach the airport. The hotel is not far from the Prudential Center and the Apple Store.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
HotelManagerMJ, Owner Representative at Courtyard Boston Copley Square, responded to this review, 27 June 2009
Thank you so much for your comment! We all look forward to welcoming you back should you find yourselves in Boston again.

William Langevin