“Superb location, friendly service, great value for family”

Courtyard Boston Copley Square
Ranked #8 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 August 2009

My husband, teenage daughter and I stayed here for two nights earlier this month and had a very nice stay. The room was very clean, spacious and quiet. The location right near the Prudential and Copley Square malls, Newbury St. and numerous restaurants cannot be beat. It was also convenient to have the upscale 24-hour Shaw's supermarket close by so we could stock up on breakfast items and drinks. Like every Marriott I have stayed at, the service was wonderful. The bellhop who took our bags to the room was very friendly, polite and even volunteered to bring a mini refrigerator to our room as he noticed we only had a cooler. The front desk clerks were all cheerful and helpful, and housekeeping staff kept everything nice and clean. It was also nice to have free internet in the room. The only slightly negative thing was that the shower was very basic ( medium flow pressure and no hand held extension) and there was no tub. Overall. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Very clean and great location next to Prudential mall and library, 1 mile from Fenway and 1/2 mile from Boston Common. Best price in the area and perfect location. The difference maker was the fantastic service provided by staff, especially Jennifer at front desk. Warm smile, willingness to assist with directions and travel, restaurant recommendations and other travel suggestions. I highly recommend for someone on a budget looking to walk Boston, go to a Sox game and have a nice clean place to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DiehardSoxfanTampa
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Stayed here for one night. Fantastic location, 1 minute walk to the Prudential Center which houses the Gucci store, Legal Seafood, Shaw's Supermarket, several shops, a food court, etc. Close to the T stop, banks, restaurants and tons of other hotel i.e. The Lenox, Four Seasons, Marriott. There is a club next door, but I didn't get to check it out. I had a view of Lord & Taylor, which is a huge temptation for a shopaholic :-)

The staff is nice, location is great, room was clean. My room was ready at 11 am which was great because it was too cold to kill time walking around outside. It's not a big fancy hotel but its probably the best bang for your buck.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank nycpoetess
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The hotel that we stayed in was very elegant and clean. The rooms were larger than average and very spacious, especially for the five of us that went. The hotel was also very large, outside of the room, with beautiful decor and much more. There was lots to do as well as explore. (A four star hotel.)

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2009

The staff went above and beyond to make sure we had a great stay. From the moment we arrived in the rain they quickly got us from the cab to the lobby right to the very end of the stay. Great location, great service, we will definately stay agin when we return to Boston.

Reviewed 1 August 2009

I've written several reviews for Trip Advisor and use Trip Advisor for planning where to stay. I always look for two things when reading reviews--the date the person stayed and the objectivity of the review.

In all of my reviews, I've had wonderful experiences; however, our experience here was so awful that not only did we speak with the manager, but the manager gave us one of our two nights for free. Let me explain:

When we arrived, the front desk and valet were exceptionally wonderful. Absolutely marvelous, I cannot say enough nice things about them. After traveling for several days with few clean clothes left, I decided to wash some clothes while my boyfriend slept. The one washer and dryer available were a nice touch, but I cringe to think what would happen should more than one person want to wash clothes. Plus, the room is so small and so hot and musty that I actually had problems breathing. No worries, as I didn't plan to be in there long.

I went to take a shower while my clothes were washing; the shower, even after many, many minutes of running, had no hot water. Lukewarm would be a generous description. Also, there were small flying bugs, only a few that seemed to come from the drain mind you, but I do not pay additional occupancy for bugs in my room. I thought that perhaps the hot water situation would be remedied the next day and went to put my clothes in the dryer.

After the proper amount of time and while using the provided available wireless Internet in the lobby, I returned to fold my clothes. That would have been possible, had the one dryer not been so old and used so much that my clothes apparently pushed against the door and had quit drying some time ago. Again, no problem. I used every available space to hang clothes in the room so they could dry, since I had no intention of spending additional time in the small closet of a hot washroom to make sure the dryer worked as it should have. The rooms are tiny, by the way--comfortable enough for two people, but definitely small.

The next morning, my boyfriend went to take a never-warm shower; this time, he did call the front desk and alert them to the situation. The clerk reported the problem and a maintenance person did come immediately, which we were thrilled with, especially for a Sunday morning. After running the water for a while, he explained that there had been problems with the pipes and to run the water for a half-hour until it warmed up.

After a full day of touring on the trolly, a wonderful experience where you can get on and off the trolly at certain stops and stay as long as you like with the added bonus of wonderful drivers who are very knowledgeable, I wanted nothing more than a cold drink while my boyfriend rested. I bought a beer from the small fridge and had to ask the front staff to open the bottle, since I don't carry a bottle opener on my person. One of the staff made mention that he "never drink[s]" and was not able, as in didn't know how to, open my bottle. What someone does in his own time is his own business but that wasn't professional in the least. When I later bought another beer to take upstairs for my boyfriend, the other clerk said that it seemed I had already bought enough; perhaps she was joking but again, someone who is spending that kind of money for a room deserves a little less judgmental conversation.

The next day, after again being woken by the room next door making quite loud noise (I think it was more the people in the room than the room itself, since the dad was yelling at his kids at 6 a.m. Lovely, yes?), my boyfriend again tried to take a shower. He let the water run for 45 minutes before finally just taking a cold shower. I would almost attribute the coldness of the shower to so many people taxing the system, except I took a shower at 10 a.m. and it was still cold. I didn't notice any bugs this time, fortunately. We packed our stuff, said thank you to the housekeeping staff who were working hard and did a good job of keeping the place clean and left. How do I know the housekeeping staff kept the place clean? There was a vacuum cleaner parked half the day before in front of our elevator, right across from our room. It seemed more of a safety issue than anything, but it wasn't bothersome if you don't have children, bags, or anything in your hand and don't mind going around or moving a vacuum cleaner.

We told the front desk clerk about our issues and asked to speak to the manager; the desk clerk was wonderful and professional and even made small talk while we waited for the manager. She also mentioned that someone before us had made the exact same complaints--no hot water and bugs in the shower--about a room on the same floor. We spoke with the manager and politely explained what had happened, where he finally did take off one night's stay.

By the way, there are breakfast vouchers allowed in the mornings for a hot breakfast; steer clear if you can, though. It's not that great and I'm still waiting on my second cup of coffee. The kitchen staff seemed nice; the "hostess" seemed a little stressed by the six people in the room.

The valet was absolutely wonderful and very helpful, and one front desk clerk with the Irish accent (I'm so sorry I didn't get your name) was so helpful and willing to give us tips about things to do. I wish it had been a better stay and I wish I had better things to say; this was our last stop on a beautiful trip and had it not been for the city of Boston and the tour, the entire Boston trip would have been spoiled.

2  Thank Amandolynn
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My husband and I recently stayed at the Marriott Copley Square for our anniversary celebration and loved it. The room was immaculate. The staff was courteous and professional without being pushy. The location was ideal! All in all, a great time, we'll be back for sure!