HI Boston
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
1,073 results
All reviewsfree breakfastbed dormhi hostelsouth stationtop bunkindividual bathroomslarge lockerscommon areashuge kitchenfemale dormcubby holefantastic hostelmixed dormyouth hostelluggage storagepower outletsyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

I thought supporting hi boston would be better than paying a hotel for my stay in the city. I was wrong. The private room was small but comfortable enough. The problem arose when the incessant heating brought the room to over 80F while I was sleeping. There are thermostats in the private rooms that are supposed to be adjustable but adjusting the temp only leads to more heat. The windows can open but winter wind and traffic noise make open windows uncomfortable. When staff were asked I assist with temperature control, the night staff was incapable and refused to call maintenance/manager for help. I was assured that maintenance would address the issue in the morning. When questioned about heat control, daytime front desk staff was rude and remarked that they were busy and could possibly help us figure out the heat problem later.... On a positive note, the maintenance guy got my room temp down to an acceptable 72F on the second day. By midnight however it had climbed up to 78. Needless to say I packed up and got a hotel ($50 cheaper to boot). For $175/night rooms should be properly climate controlled ad staff should be both capable and courteous. Neither was the case at HI Boston

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank FarmFreshie
Sandra R, Assistant General Manager at HI Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I want to apologize on behalf of our team, for the inconvenience we have caused you. We strive to give the best customer service here at the hostel and it's so unfortunate to hear this was not the case.

We are aware of the HVAC issue throughout our building, we are dedicating a lot of time and effort in addressing this issue.

I'd be more than happy to refund you for your stay or provide you a COMP stay the next time you're in Boston to make up for the inconvenience. Please contact me at AGM.boston@hiusa.org and I'd be happy to personally follow up with you.

Sandra Roque

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I've stayed in a lot of hostels all around the world and this is by far the best i know! the staff when we arrived was vary kind, you are walking distance from 3 metro stations and just a few squares away from boston common... u get free chocolate chips cookies! i loved that! breakfast were ok, not much variety but it was ok. everything as clean as it can be. the only thing is that we couldnt stay more than 2 week.. we had to move to another hostel... thats a shame

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This is by far the best hostel I have ever stayed in. It's clean, it's affordable, they provide you with lockers (locks can be purchased or use your own), there is free breakfast and wifi and it is close to everything. There are also plenty of bathrooms and awesome shower curtains!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank geographyguy_11
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Probably your best choice for affordable accommodations. New facilities, great located just next to Chinatown with awesome places to eat. Nice staff, a good variety of activities, free breakfast and integrated coffee shop. Subway is also only one block away. Would definitely go back.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SteffenDaab
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Location: It is centrally located between Chinatown and Theater District
Very Safe, accessible, walking distance to everything about Boston Downtown
This Hostel is almost right across one of the best Dental School in US (Tuffs Dental
School.
Harvard/MIT is approximately less than 10 miles
Museums is with the radius of less than 10miles
Opera Theater is about 2 blocks
Movie Theater is 3 blocks
Boston Common Park is about 5 blocks

Trains or T-stations: you can use Orange, Blue or Red Line
if your taking the bus, you get off South Station and walk towards Stuart St.
(hostel is approximately 3 to 4 blocks from the Bus or Train or T-station

Boston Logan Airport: approximately 5 to 7 miles from the hotel, taxi or cab fare is about US$22.00

Parking: You can park either at the corner of Charles St/Stuart St. or at the Boston Common (this is
cheaper but a bit farther) I would not dare to park on the side street. Boston is so strict in
implementing parking hours and parking meters. Give yourself a peace of mind by using
a Parking mentioned.

Rooms: It was clean, I was in 2nd floor for the first night and I checked in at 4th floor the second
night. My general assessment, it was comfortable, modern and quiet. No side street noise.

Bathroom:
It is always clean and always have a stack of fresh bath mat for single use. Very hygiennic
practice to prevent fungus spread.
Liquid soap dispenser is provided too
Bath towels: Mostly look tired but clean
Hair Dryer: Basic High and Low Setting
Ratio and proportion of number of toilet/bath per guest I think is 1:2
there's plenty of bathrooms per floor and very secured too.

Room cabinet: It measures around 3ft X 3ft. It has built in head light and sockets to charge you gadgets.

Bed: Not too soft or hard...just enough firmness to sleep comfortably.

Cons:
All doors slammed no matter how gentle you hold the door, it gave me a restless sleep everytime there's people within the building going in and out of their rooms. I think this is just a design flaw that can be easily solved. A soft non slamming door can significantly improve the quality of this hostel. Although ear plugs are free, the slamming noise can still be noticed, I hope the management would addressed this seriously.

Breakfast: It was always fresh like bread, Orange, Banana, Cereal, Bagel, Sliced Bread, Peanut Butter, Jelly Spread, Cream Cheese, Orange Juice, Apple Juice, Coffee & Milk. Efficient working staff too, although the black lady was less personable, she could show more friendly and smiling face, there's a room for improvement for that. The guys that was working was more vibrant and enthusiastic.

Checking in: Very good front desk staff, very respectful, kind and speedy. The youthful enthusiastic persona they project reflects a good image of Hostelling Inernational. I salute you guys! Good Job!

Hostel Respresentative: Sorry I forgot to take note of his name but he went from table to table to make sure that all questions or inquiries were addressed. He fits the job, friendly and compassionate approach. I'm proud of you!

Housekeeping: I have seen them ones but maybe they could show some warmness to the guess, even by just greeting "Good Morning or How are you". Instead of just totally ignoring people that walk by them or rode with them on the elevator. They did there job very well! I checked for dust on the corners...perfect! no mess or residue from previous guess. Linens and Sheets smells clean and fresh.

Luggage Storage: I used this since my flight is late in the afternoon. Yes! you can store your luggage for $3.00 a day with your own number code. Very safe!

Restaurants:
No worries there's like 10,000 to choose from adjacent places from the building. From Macdonalds, Dunkin Donuts, Asian, American. I recommend for you to try the lunch special at China Pearl on Tyler St.,Chinatown (2 blocks from the hotel). It is cheap, dimsum style. Dont worry if you dont know the name of the dish, just point the dish and they serve it to your table. No English or Chinese Language skills necessary. Just point, eat and pay at the check at the end of your dining experience. Try also the best Organic Sushi in town at Genki-yah (corner Stuart and Tremont st.- 30 steps away from the hostel)

Guests:
The guests were mostly from different countries, don't hesitate to say hi and make friends. I met some interesting smart people during my stay. I think they represent their countries to UN assembly in Harvard. It so fun to see different faces and hear different language on the background while eating my breakfast.

To all future guests:
If you want affordable, clean, modern and centrally located hostel, this is your best bet.
If you are a high maintenance and demanding guest, this place is not for you, maybe try Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons.

I hope my review will help your future visit to the Beantown Boston.

Good Luck!

Room Tip: All rooms were equally laid out where there is windows. The elevator is right at the center of the building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo