“Boston excursion”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manitoba
“Boston excursion”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have just returned from a 5 night stay at the Loews Back Bay where we had two rooms booked with King beds. Upon arrival we were greeted by the bellboy and our luggage was delivered to our room promptly after checkin. Checkin was quick and pleasant. The room was clean (except for the carpeting), the bed was comfortable, and the location is really good if you want to be just on the outskirts of the hustle and bustle of Newbury and Bolyston. Everything that we wanted to see and do was within walking distance of this hotel. The service we received from staff during our stay was excellent. The staff are knowledgeable, pleasant, and very helpful. To run the thermostat fan in the room was quite noisy but it quickly became "white noise" which muffled the sounds of guests in the hallway and traffic on the street which to us, wasn't a bad thing. Rooms include a fridge, Keurig coffee maker, sanitized remote, and a safe. We would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

2 Thank dreams4u1961Manitoba

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This was by far the most wonderful place to stay in Boston. We arrived and were instantly greeted by the valet staff and they were incredibly helpful with our luggage. They were even extremely understanding when we were taking a while to unload because we had a small child with us. The bell man brought our things to the room and even said that he would be back with a crib. The crib was wonderful, they included towels, rubber duckies and even a little box of baby items (shampoo, lotion, etc.) all in travel sizes. It was so nice. The room was a decent size and the bed was extremely comfortable.

You are right by the Boston Public Library, the Park and tons of great restaurants. Everything you could need is in walking distance. We had a wonderful time exploring the city and the Loews Hotel was so close to everything.

The staff was so nice to talk to and even when we were leaving they were telling us of more things that we should do when we return. After our car was taken by the valet we didn't call it until we left, it was great not having to drive around the city. When we did call for our car it was extremely prompt and ready for us. It was such an amazing experience, we want to come back to Boston and the Loews is where I'm planning on staying again.

Fairfield County, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I read a lot of great reviews on this hotel. Also, this hotel was rated four-star. I went in having some expectation based on them, but I was not all that thrilled afterward. In all, I'd say it was okay.

I had a Deluxe room with two twin beds in it, as I was there with my sibling. The space wasn't ample, so it was good for staying for a night.

The male receptionist who had a name like Kevin but was spelled slightly different was very welcoming and friendly, which gave me the best impression about this hotel. It's so important that someone who checks you in exudes warmth and genuine friendliness.

The bedding was comfortable. The pillows were plenty and nice and comfy. The window had nice blackout curtains, so we were able to sleep in the next day without being awoken by the sunlight. There was also a nice Keurig's Vue series coffee maker in the room. There were some Emeril's coffee selections with different sweeteners on the side. TV had some basic channels and two HBO channels, which was kind of nice.

The bathroom's shower curtains were a bit short. As a result, a lot of water spilled out of the tub during the shower. Another issue: There was not one single drawer in the bathroom, which was slightly annoying to me, as a woman. The shower head was nice and big. Water pressure on 7th floor remained strong. The tub was really small though. I was expecting something a bit bigger and nicer.

I also saw quite a visible layer of dust on the entire handle used to adjust the height of the office chair in the room. That was not acceptable to me for a four-star hotel.

We ordered room service for dinner. Mine was the Organic Chicken dish, which was fabulously delicious. My brother ordered a hamburger and a turkey sandwich. The turkey sandwich was equally delicious with full flavors and freshness to it. On the other hand, the burger was a big miss. The meat tasted burned while the inside was not cooked evenly. Some parts were overcooked; some were quite raw. The lettuce and tomato slices that came with the burger on the side tasted old and clearly not fresh. The entire dish was difficult to finish.

The common area near the concierge was nicely decorated. Sitting in there waiting for my car was a pleasant time.

With the same price range, I may just go somewhere else next time when I visit Boston. I would like to see nicer furniture and nicer amenities in the room and bathroom, which would entice me to visit again.

Room Tip: If you're traveling alone and staying for a night or two, deluxe single room is fine. If you'...
1 Thank ct79
West Midlands
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Another late review but better late than never!
We stayed at the Back Bay Hotel for 5 nights in December for a pre Christmas break. I notice it has now moved into the Loews Hotel Chain. The rooms were a good size with a comfortable bed and the bathroom was also a good size and very clean. The hotel corridors were quiet and we didnt hear loads of doors banging etc. We couldnt hear any noise from the room next door. The lobby & reception area is small but functional and they served hot drinks in the lounge area each morning. Cuffs Irish bar is very warm & cosy and the food we ate in there was of a good standard. All the staff in the hotel were polite & courteous and we encountered no customer service issues. We walked the freedom trail in the rain and it was fun all the same.
Boston is very Christmassy in December and thats what we like. Lots of tree lights and decorations, carol singers, store displays etc. There is also an ice rink on the common in Winter. If you're a pet lover like me, make sure you visit Fish & Bone pet boutique on Newbury St. Its a dream of a shop to get something special for your furry friend.
All in all, liked everything about this hotel. Location was handy for Copley Square, all the main shopping areas and the historic trail & there is a train station round the corner. We caught a train to Salem and it was no hassle at all. There are plenty restaurants / fast food outlets / street food & Starbucks in the area so not short of choice when going out to eat.
We got a really good deal on this hotel on a package with Virgin so felt that we definitely got value for money. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone considering a trip to Boston. For a short break, location is key and this hotel definitely ticks the box without breaking the bank.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator is what I always ask for
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Helena, Montana
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights this past week with my husband. The staff is delightful and charming; helpful and professional.

Great decor in the lobby area. Wonderful room- super comfy bed- everything you need- Kuerig in the room, frette towels, cleaned tv remote. I'd recommend the hotel highly.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PattersonBoston
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Plush bed people! Everything else is an added bonus!

For a retrofitted police station this Hotel is amazing and unique! Art is modern and tasteful and inviting colors throughout. Our bedroom was surprisingly roomy. Simple, but elegant decor.

We are here for just a few days before a business conference. Will definitely be coming back to explore more of Boston, but in the meanwhile, the Back Bay is full of history and interested places to see and eat within walking distance from hotel.

Room Tip: Don't forget to mention you have AAA.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I'm a travel agent and recently stayed at the Loews Boston with my husband and two small children. I have been to Boston many times before and as a travel agent I like to try new places when I can. I was interested in the Loews particularly because the Loews Brand had taken over this property from a previous hotel and I wanted to see it for myself. I also liked the history of the building and knowing that it used to be the old police station was very interesting. Check-in for us was early and they quickly accommodated us which was very nice, especially when traveling with young kids. They didn't have any extra special check-in treats for the children, which most high-end brands do, but it could have been because they are a newer property & either way, this had no effect on our stay. The front desk staff were so friendly and the concierge quickly helped us book a tour and got us started on our day. We had a Premier room which was larger than a standard and very spacious and comfortable. The bedding and linens were all great and the beds were extra comfortable. My son made a comment that he just wanted to stay in and sleep on the beds all day. On our first night we actually ordered room service and the kids borrowed monopoly from the front desk and we stayed in. This is what the kids wanted to do and they loved it! The room service food was standard fare for a hotel but the food was delivered very quickly by another friendly staff member. Everyone we came across at this property were very kind and very helpful. You can tell this hotel is very well-managed. The design and craftmanship of the building is very interesting too. Each day we would notice new crown molding feature or special lighting that made this property stand out to me. If you stay here, take the time to observe all the little details in the design. I thought this was a very unique and interesting building that made our stay extra special. While at the hotel, we had a drink before dinner in the lounge which was warm and cozy and a perfect Boston lounge. The area itself is one of my families favorites and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else. We easily walked to Boston Commons park, Newbury Street, Boylston and more. If you are in Boston to explore, this is a great spot to start! On our first day, we walked to the Prudential center(5 minute walk) to catch a Duck Tour, which was so convenient. We also easily hopped on the train and got to all the places we wanted to see very easily. Check-out was a breeze too as all the doorman and luggage handlers were very helpful from the start of our trip until the end. Thank you Loews for a great stay! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property to one of my clients or to my agency & I will definitely visit again soon!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family