“Quick, Easy & Reasonable Lunch”

Al's State Street Cafe
Ranked #269 of 3,320 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I recently had an opportunity to try Al’s State Street (take-out) Café. It was easy to see why the lines are always out the door whenever I would walk by. But don’t let the long lines discourage you from giving Al’s a try. They are very efficient in there, and we were in and out in no time. I had a small roast beef sub with mayo, tomatoes and pickles (happy to see they were diced!) ... one of the best roast beef subs I've had in a long time! The “small” subs are a good size and more than enough for most. My small sub was $6.50, but for an additional $1.50 ($8 total), I was able to add a 20 oz. bottled water (or soda) and some chips – well worth it! I went with the regular sub roll, and it was light and doughy, not too much bread at all. They also offer whole wheat or white wraps. The large subs are $8.50. I noticed that their sign announced that they have the “best chicken salad in town” … that will definitely be my next order. My friends both ordered the small (hot) meatball sub, which looked delicious – not too much sauce that it would spill out the back and make eating outdoors impossible. I would highly recommend Al’s State Street Café for lunch if you are in the area (and if you are not, it would be well worth your effort to get there). Enjoy! 

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

If you like a good sub, doesn't get much better (or larger).

At lunch, place usually has line out the door, but it's pretty quick moving. Off hours, you'll be in and out.... Either way don't plan eating a large meal outside this.

The steak bomb is go-to here - bread and cheese were made for this sub. Enjoy.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

If you want local flavor and great food, this is it, Stay away from the tourist stuff at Quincy, walk around the corner to Al/s. Get the lunchbox special for $8, sandwich, chips and a soda - GREAT deal. Do not let the servers through you off, it is all part of the atmosphere. I made my way to pay and found one the kindest ladies at the cash register, a real sweet person among all the noise. I believe it is the original Al's wife or the owner Al's mom. If possible eat in at the counter and just listen to all the fun.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I found Al's just three blocks from the wharf after whale watching all morning. I was hungry and looking for something quick and good. I ordered the Chicken Pesto sandwich (grilled chicken with homemade pesto smothered in provolone) and it was amazing! The staff was very friendly and they had my sandwich ready in no time. I ordered a small and had to save half of it for later. The price was incredibly reasonable for the quality and quantity (perfect for someone on a budget). The next time I'm in Boston I'm definitely going to stop by Al's again.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I worked in downtown Boston 10 years ago and Al's was a staple in my lunch schedule. I was pleased to see Al's is still going strong with the same quality of food when I visited Boston this past weekend. The 10" subs never leave you hungry. The place is small and always packed. They have 2 lines, Cold Subs and Hot Subs. They are a no-nonsense type of place so make sure you have your order ready. You will not be disappointed in this place. The bread is a perfect texture for a Sub, just crusty enough and not squishy. Chicken Salad is the best I have ever had and the Steak and Cheese is a close second. Prices range in the $7-10, well worth it.