“Outstanding vegan brunch on request”
Review of Mistral

Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 3,336 Restaurants in Boston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Today my wife and I attended a private event at Mistral for brunch. Since we are both mostly-vegan (and since brunch choices are often egg, dairy and meat-centric), I decided to call the restaurant the day before to ensure we would find some options we could eat. The host I spoke with was accommodating, put me on hold for a couple of minutes to talk with the chef, then returned to the call and assured me the kitchen would prepare vegetable plates for us both,

Wow, did they ever! We were presented with copper gratin dishes, filled with beautifully prepared roasted peppers, semidried tomatoes, green beans, young spinach, grilled asparagus, and maitake mushrooms. A second dish was delivered: mushroom carpaccio, topped with arugula, olive oil and a light touch of balsamic vinegar, along with plumped-up raisins. While the buffet for the other guests was excellent, those at are table were jealous of our meal.

To top off the experience, the restaurant manager, Brian Corbit, came over after 20 minutes to ask if we were pleased with the meal.

Overall, the food, the service, and the room (The Salon) were all outstanding. One of the most capable and responsive high-quality restaurants I've seen in years.

2  Thank dgourmac

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Warm, inviting ambience, good atmosphere. Food very good but not outstanding or unique. Service a little fragmented with changing staff - however attentive and friendly. Overall very good experience and food; worth the visit as good value and atmosphere.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

A large group - 15 to 20 -of us went to Mistral on a Wed night because we had heard how excellent the food was and wanted to try it. We arrived to a very crowded place- especially considering it was mid week -and were seated as the party members arrived. The restaurant did not have a separate room or area for us or any really large group tables so they simply moved tables for smaller parties together along the side of one wall. We were not only close to each other but also close to the other tables around us and it was especially tight when the waiter and food handlers came by. At one point the table behind my table was so loud - and likely intoxicated- that we just gave up trying to hear or talk to each other. I cannot imagine how loud this restaurant would have been if we had been in the middle of the room on a weekend. However, the space was very lovely and the staff was attentive and efficient.

The people at our table ordered a variety of items from both the appetizer menu and from the main menu. No one had any complaints and from what I saw - all plates were empty at the end of the meal. To begin the meal, I shared a beet salad with a friend. It was good but I have a feeling that the beets were likely boiled instead of roasted because they had much less of the expected earthy taste and intense color. For the main course I had the salmon which was served on a bed of lentils. It was perfectly cooked and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Some people ordered desserts which also got rave reviews.

The price for all items on the menu - including wine and drinks- was high but the food was excellent in taste and presentation. However, I felt the overall experience was diminished - and so was the value- by having the tables much too close together for an elegant and highly recommended place like this. This was by far the most crammed restaurant of all the places we dined during our 4 days in Boston. If I go back I will go with a smaller group and definitely ask for a quiet table - if such a location exists.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I always feel like I am dining in a movie set. The space is so funky and elegant at the same time. Our waiter was phenomenal and all the service was spectacular. And the food was divine. I sat across the table from my guy, drank wine, mmmmm-ed every bite and felt like it was valentines day in March.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a beautiful looking place located in the Back Bay area. Went because of all the screaming great reviews.
The opening salad was great. They make a dynamite Martini. I went with the duck which our server told us had been on the menu since the place opened. Was good but very greasy. My partner had some delicious pasta.
Service was again average. the server repeatedly stationed himself in between our table and the one next with his derriere to us. A little slow towards the end.
Would probably give it another shot when back in Boston and not order the duck.

1  Thank jonnyrosen