“A Boston gourmet institution” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,179 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$35 - US$80
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Boston gourmet institution”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Mistral has been in business for almost 20 years, which speaks volumes to its quality and reputation for exceptional dining experiences. That being said, when I hear people tell me that this is their favorite restaurant in Boston and for some their favorite in the world, I cry a little tear on the inside for them. Mistral is a VERY GOOD restaurant, but it is not quite great and there are a several other options in Boston which I would consider to be better. I took my wife here for her birthday and we both agreed that it was very good, but given the prices it didn't really wow us....

We started with a special appetizer, salmon tartare with an avocado salad base. It was very good. My wife got the halibut for her main course and was a little underwhelmed by the lack of flavor. Although it tasted good, there wasn't enough going on to make it a very dynamic dish. I had the sirloin, which was also really really good, but not the best steak I've ever had. Actually one of the best steaks I've ever had was at Mistral's sister restaurant, Mooo. The sirloin here looked like the exact same cut of meat that I got at Mooo, but the French style of cooking/seasoning just didn't hit the same magic meat spot for me.

I had the chocolate cake for dessert which was great. My wife had the carrot cake which was a little over spiced for her. I thought the carrot cake was good, but given the use of spice I could understand how someone might be disappointed if they were expecting a traditional carrot cake.

The service was attentive and generally pretty solid. They weren't too overbearing and we never found ourselves waiting/wanting for anything except for wine when my wife couldn't find the right wine to pair with her halibut (go with the gruner).

We had a full meal here: 1 app, 2 entrees, 2 desserts, 2 wines each and one port each. Our tab came out to $220. You don't have to spend $200 here if you don't want to. We're thinking of coming back again to have a salad each and split an entree (I'm sure our waiter will love that).....

PRO TIP: #1. If you are having a special meal here, request a corner table. #2. If you live or are staying in Boston proper call ahead to request their "complimentary" car service (you still should tip the driver).

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Boca Raton, Florida
“good but not the best”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I was alone and ate at the bar. They had a decent wine list and a very nice menu. I would not say it is in the top ten resturants in the city as advertised by friends. the staff was very nice and the fish I ordered was OK. I will revisit it again in the future to confirm my findings.

Richmond, Virginia
“Good but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

While in Boston we ate in many incredible restaurants and spent quite a bit of money on amazing meals. Mistral was a disappointment despite the hype and reputation. For the amount of money we spent I would've expected amazing food, but instead it was just mediocre. My halibut was overcooked (didn't even finish it), I was excited for the salad with the rhubarb dressing but it was nothing special (basically a plate of arugula and cheese), and my husband's steak and potatoes was something we could've gotten anywhere (but for less than the $40+ price tag). Atmosphere was great, it's a beautiful restaurant and our service was good, just wish the overall experience would've been better for the price tag.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
“Outstanding vegan brunch on request”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Today my wife and I attended a private event at Mistral for brunch. Since we are both mostly-vegan (and since brunch choices are often egg, dairy and meat-centric), I decided to call the restaurant the day before to ensure we would find some options we could eat. The host I spoke with was accommodating, put me on hold for a couple of minutes to talk with the chef, then returned to the call and assured me the kitchen would prepare vegetable plates for us both,

Wow, did they ever! We were presented with copper gratin dishes, filled with beautifully prepared roasted peppers, semidried tomatoes, green beans, young spinach, grilled asparagus, and maitake mushrooms. A second dish was delivered: mushroom carpaccio, topped with arugula, olive oil and a light touch of balsamic vinegar, along with plumped-up raisins. While the buffet for the other guests was excellent, those at are table were jealous of our meal.

To top off the experience, the restaurant manager, Brian Corbit, came over after 20 minutes to ask if we were pleased with the meal.

Overall, the food, the service, and the room (The Salon) were all outstanding. One of the most capable and responsive high-quality restaurants I've seen in years.

1 Thank dgourmac
London, United Kingdom
“Good food and ambience - service slightly frayed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

Warm, inviting ambience, good atmosphere. Food very good but not outstanding or unique. Service a little fragmented with changing staff - however attentive and friendly. Overall very good experience and food; worth the visit as good value and atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014