“Pretty Good, Not Great”
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 3,231 Restaurants in Boston
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Pretty Good, Not Great”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was excited to try this place since I have tried one of the sister restaurants in Boston and I had heard good things. Relatives were in from out of town so it seemed a good choice. Some of the food was really outstanding, and some was just OK. We each had three courses and I would say half of us were happy with each course. I had the Salmon Tartar appetizer which I thought was really outstanding. My main course of Branzino was really just average. Someone else had Dover Sole and found it equally uninspiring. For dessert I tried the Belgium Chocolate Sorbet. This was the richest and most flavorful non-dairy chocolate I have ever had. As someone who is allergic to milk, I try a lot of alternative desserts and this one was quite noteworthy, even according to the milk eaters who tried a small taste.

The price is high, which is OK when the food meets expectations, but with the mixed review on the main meals, it's a little harder to accept.

The service was also very odd. We went through periods of extremely attentive service followed by long droughts where no one came by. Our three course meal lasted over 3 hours, which I didn't mind since I enjoyed the company, but that is quite a while. Dessert was particularly frustrating because it came out piece-meal from the kitchen.

I'm glad I tried it, but I probably won't return for a full meal. If I do, I will sit at the bar and eat the Chocolate Sorbet!

• Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent fare”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excellent fare and attentive service is what I can say about Mistral. The food quality is top , a real spot for Midterranean-French gourmet food. The place itself is truly warm with great ambience which is full of buzz. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Marlborough, MA
“One of Boston's best restaurants”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

We've been here about 5 times. It's one of Boston's best restaurants. This last time we went for Restaurant Week. It isn't the best time to go to a great restaurant, but we did. The food was very good. The service was excellent. We have found the service always to be excellent. Typically, we get the steak or salmon. They could probably do a little better on the salads (the salad is kind of bland). The desserts are wonderful. The bread is wonderful. The tables are a little close together. The parking is a nightmare. But if you want to eat in one of the better restaurants in Boston, this is a good choice.

Visited March 2014
North Easton, Massachusetts
“A jewel in Boston”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Mistral is one of the best restaurants we have eaten at in the United States. The service is impeccable, as is the food. The mussels are about the best in the world. The bar area is very lively on the weekends. Every time we eat there, we agree it is the best of Boston

• Visited May 2014
Edina
“What Happened to this Wonderful Restaurant?”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Having eaten at Mistral in the fall of 2012 I insisted that we return. Eating there again this past week we are trying to determine what happened in the interim. Both the food and service were such a disappointment compared to our previous visit.

The service was so slow and because we were getting hungrier by the minute we requested bread. After 15 minutes and still no bread we requested bread again. Finally about 5 minutes later it arrived.

One of the items we ordered was the white cheese, whipped ricotta, hot pepper, sea salt & arugula pizza. The hot pepper was so overwhelming that it overpowered the other ingredients. This would have been expected at Pizza Hut but not at a restaurant the caliber of Mistral where I would have expected the various ingredients would have enhanced each other. There were five of us each ordering a different entree and we all agreed the food was adequate but nothing more, and definitely not worth returning to again.

• Visited May 2014