“Very classy and priced at such but seems hit or miss”
Review of Mistral

Mistral
Reserve with OpenTable
Mistral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$35 - US$80
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: between Berkeley & Clarendon
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very classy and priced at such but seems hit or miss”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were invited to eat at Mistral with some out of town visitors who received the restaurant as a recommendation from their hotel's concierge. The reviews seemed great, and upon reading the menu on their website, I instantly had my meal picked out (but remained open-minded in case there was a special that piqued my interest). Mistral is definitely high-end and at one of the highest price-points for Boston; it was nice to see that they were upfront regarding the costs of the specials when reviewing them with our table. When we first arrived, we were greeted by 3 Mistral employees (one holding the door, one at the host station and one that followed us to our table offering to take our coats). We sat and our server arrived and started to chat a bit which lead into him offering the specials information and taking our drink orders. From there, the service became a bit strange.. at times, our server would be at our table strangely standing nearby, and at others, we waited a while for him to stop by before flagging down someone else. We had 4 people at our table, and for each dish (appetizers, entrees and desserts were all ordered), there seemed to be one person that was not quite impressed, which was disappointing to experience based on the class of restaurant you'd expect here. When I placed my order, I expressed that I had a food allergy and confirmed that what I was ordering would be alright based on that. Moments after placing our order, our server came back and asked if there was anything else I was allergic to in addition to my first mention because they would be preparing my meal in their "clean" kitchen which gets sanitized after every allergy-noted meal is prepared. I was incredibly impressed by this (even though I did tell them that was unnecessary for me)! I ordered the branzino, which I enjoyed immensely although another person at the table that ordered it was not impressed. I thought the flavor and fish was cooked perfectly. Most restaurant portions are typically much larger than I am able to eat, and Mistral was no exception- I had leftovers for lunch the next day! One person at our table ordered the Dover Sole special and was very excited for it, but when it arrived, he was clearly not impressed and picked at it while eating.... I was so surprised that no one from the restaurant noticed and offered to do something about that. We moved on to dessert which was delicious once it arrived over 20 minutes after ordering it (bonus- they have a very unique Belgian chocolate sorbet- it takes like biting into fudge!). It was clear that we had been there quite a while as all of the tables had cleared out except for us... and while we enjoyed our company, the timing was definitely due to the inattentiveness at times during the meal. As it turned out, we were sitting at Mistral for over 3 hours- it seems kind of strange!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
“Fantastic recommendation by Concierge”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We booked here on the advice of one of the Concierge desk staff at our hotel. The setting, food and service were all first rate. When we return to Boston we would certainly come back here. Not cheap, but very good value

buffalo, ny
“We threw them a curve, and they caught it with grace”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

This is a busy restaurant and are already large party became a little larger en route. Gracious management and staff snapped into action and made us feel as though it was no problem. It actually was a small feat but they covered us with charm. Food was very good. Highlights included the swordfish, lamb and even the specialty pizza. All bases were covered. Service was professional and personable. Loved all of it.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Pretty Good, Not Great”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I was excited to try this place since I have tried one of the sister restaurants in Boston and I had heard good things. Relatives were in from out of town so it seemed a good choice. Some of the food was really outstanding, and some was just OK. We each had three courses and I would say half of us were happy with each course. I had the Salmon Tartar appetizer which I thought was really outstanding. My main course of Branzino was really just average. Someone else had Dover Sole and found it equally uninspiring. For dessert I tried the Belgium Chocolate Sorbet. This was the richest and most flavorful non-dairy chocolate I have ever had. As someone who is allergic to milk, I try a lot of alternative desserts and this one was quite noteworthy, even according to the milk eaters who tried a small taste.

The price is high, which is OK when the food meets expectations, but with the mixed review on the main meals, it's a little harder to accept.

The service was also very odd. We went through periods of extremely attentive service followed by long droughts where no one came by. Our three course meal lasted over 3 hours, which I didn't mind since I enjoyed the company, but that is quite a while. Dessert was particularly frustrating because it came out piece-meal from the kitchen.

I'm glad I tried it, but I probably won't return for a full meal. If I do, I will sit at the bar and eat the Chocolate Sorbet!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent fare”
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excellent fare and attentive service is what I can say about Mistral. The food quality is top , a real spot for Midterranean-French gourmet food. The place itself is truly warm with great ambience which is full of buzz. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013