“Worth every penny!”

Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Arlington Street
Transit: Arlington Street T Stop
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I took my daughter here for her birthday and had the five course chef's tasting menu. While some of the courses were not what I would have ordered, it is always good to expand your palate and try new things. We were not disappointed. First course was a tuna with parsley puree and a lemon sauce. Second course was a creamy cheese somewhere between a ricotta and a mascarpone that was just heavenly with toasted sunflower seeds and a tangy vegetable relish. Third course was a whole wheat cheese ravioli with braised short rib meat--just divine. Main course was a duck done to perfection and dessert consisted of the lightest chocolate wafers I've ever had which you dipped into a whipped mascarpone. If it all sounds too much, it wasn't.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

My last visit two years ago was not terrific. Rude waiter and the service was poor. However last nights dining experience was the complete opposite. From the personable valet upon arrival, to the Maitre D's "Good Night" everything was very good. The wait staff are very friendly and unimposing, yet very attentive. The food was good, and the wait time from appetizer to dessert was perfect. For it's location the prices are what you would expect. I will go there again. The food overall is very good although not maybe quite what it was at Michael s other retaurant Radius, which has since closed. But then again it's probably not a fair comparison as Via Matta is definitely an Italian style, and themed restaurant. Worth a visit

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

Waitresses in old jeans and sneakers. A limited menu. Top prices without the value. We were very disappointed to come away from Via Matta tonight with an utterly forgettable experience.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

A last minute decision to travel to Boston Valentine's day left few choices for dinner. Thankfully this restaurant still had a time slot available. They offer a prix fixe option for dinner and my wife opted for that. She started with the Calamari (excellent), followed by Mushroom Mezzalune (excellent), Branzino (very good) and finished with the Passion Fruit Tartlett (excellent). I had the Tagliatelle in a Bolognese sauce (excellent). This restaurant was the icing on our cake for our trip to Boston!

Jenn M, Guest Relations Manager at Via Matta, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Hi,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your Valentine's Day with us. Via Matta prides itself in quality and service and we look forward to having you visit us again soon!

All Our Best,
Via Matta Management

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I had been to Via Matta years ago and always thought it was good but not great. The meal we had last night was a pleasant surprise. It was a quiet evening and the service was excellent. The wines by the glass were delicious as were the beet salad with oranges, the cauliflower and the grilled calamari. I would order them all again. I got the chicken cooked with butternut squash and red pepper hummus and it was delicious. I would definitely eat here again.

Hi,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your evening with us. Via Matta prides itself in quality and service and we look forward to having you visit us again soon!

All Our Best,