“Parisian, Casual Dining at Aquitaine, South End”
Review of Aquitaine

Aquitaine
Reserve with OpenTable
Aquitaine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 3,245 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Union Park and Tremont Street
Transit: The MBTA #43 stops at our front door at 569 Tremont Street
Description: Award winning Parisian inspired French bistro located in the heart of Boston's South End, overlooking historic Tremont Street.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Parisian, Casual Dining at Aquitaine, South End”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Aquitaine is classically French in décor. A small, long Parisian style restaurant with cozy tables and booths covered with white tablecloths. Nicotine stained walls, mirrors and a large chalk board presents patrons with the specials of the day. The waitstaff are efficient and friendly and mill around the restaurant in an unhurried, expert fashion. The small bar area is darling with bar to ceiling walls of wines and a bartender who commands his area like his own ship. My friend arrived soon me after and immediately ordered a Dead Eddie, the gin special of the evening. Tangy, fresh, ginilicious! I stuck with my usual of wine.

While looking at the menu some warm and delicously soft, tasty cheese balls were brought to us. Definitely a favorite for me. Pop in your mouth and your weekend has begun with a smile.

We looked at the menu and as we are both familiar with it we know many of the dishes. As a creature of habit I almost always go with the chicken liver mousse and lemon sole. This time I was determined to order something different. I noticed the woman next to me eating an intriguing looking dish. When I asked what it was she said it was absolutely delicious so I thought why not. I started with the Oeuf En Cocotte.

The idea is to open the jar where a soft poached egg sits on top of pureed potatoes with truffles and chanterelles. You have to thoroughly mix everything together so that the egg runs throughout the jar. This dish is quite unusual. The texture is of semi-runny egg with mushy potato. An intense flavor of truffle overwhelmed me with happiness at first bite. I absolutely love truffle!!! Dipping the brioche into the jar reminded me of breakfast at home when my mum would make soft boiled eggs still in the shell. I am still on the fence on whether I loved this dish. I most certainly did like it and anything with truffle definitely has me leaning towards liking anything.

My friend decided on the always good Belgian Endive Salade. A prettily presented salad of shredded fresh endive drizzled with a light dressing with an added crunchy texture of walnuts and apple.

On to my entrée and the Plat du Jour of the Long Island Duck Breast. Duck is one of my favorite meats, especially when it is cooked just right. I always say "cook to chef’s recommendation" and at Aquitaine I was right to do so. The tart sweetness of the peach created a perfect marriage with the medium rare grilled juicy duck. Alongside peppery, biting spiced black rice, I could not have been happier with my dish.

My friend went for the Tagliatelle and before I had a chance to say “can I have a taste” it was all gone. He obviously thoroughly enjoyed his dish.

Always a great night at Aquitaine. They also do a superb $9.95 pre fix brunch.

• Visited January 2012

Boston
“expensive but worth it”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

excellent service, stupendous food, cozy atmosphere, what's not to like?

1 Thank EastCoastCoaster
“A Tired Bistro”
Reviewed 18 January 2012

It has been several years since my wife and I last dined at Aquitaine. Last evening, we visited again. Unfortunately, food preparation and presentation seemto have devolved from a more authentic French bistro to that of a chain restaurant "bistro". "My filet au poivre which was ordered "medium rare" arrived "medium well". Although the wine list was well-balanced, perfectly appropriate and relatively comprehensive, the first two bottles which we ordered were unavailable. There were high points, like the warm beet salad appetizer and good service, but, overall, we were disappointed. Our past experiences would have been rated "4" ...this one was a "3".

boston
“Daughter in love with Aquitaine.”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I took my 21 year old daughter out to celebrate a family event. I asked her which restaurant she preferred and she did not hesitate: Aquitaine! She has always loved the rich brunches at Aquitaine, with those beautiful confection dust sugar sprinkled on the best french bread breakfasts with fruit! She now wanted to try an Aquitaine dinner.
As a pre-dinner drink I ordered a French rose' wine glass (the only one on the list): wonderful! My daughter ordered Tagliatelle (one of the few restaurants that spell italian correctly!) with salade Lyonnaise and I went with the Belgian Endive salad and Crispy Artic Char... We ended all with the Confiture De Lait Crème Brulée and the liquid desert... I was in heaven and so was she. The Tagliatelle were cooked al dente, the sauce delicious without too much of the classic "trick" ingredients such as too much butter, wine or cheese: just perfect (The other restaurant owned by Mr Woods, the Metropolis use to make the best Amatriciana pasta in Boston: trust me my dad is a cook from Rome!). My fish was cooked perfectly with a nice crust on the outside and a tender inner. The liquid desert was Cobra Flip... a sort of Irish Coffee made with espresso and none of the whipped cream, balanced with just enough galliano to make it sweet but not too much. I will return many times!

• Visited January 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“very dissappointed”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My wife and I had been to Aquataine 2 times last year, and decided to go again this year. Huge dissappointment. We both ordered specialy drinks- I ordered the ginger cosmo. It had no hint of ginger in it. We ordered the mussels, truffle fries, and swordfish dinner. The mussel were ok. The truffle fried were not truffle at all, there was not hint of truffle in it. It seemed to be a mayo, ketchup mix. And the swordfish with potato and creamed spinach was inedible. It was served in a cast iron serving dish, and had lumping grease surrounding the entire dish. The best example I can give is when you fry a burger, the grease left over after frying it. It was a huge dissappointment. We enjoyed going to Aquataine, but that is now off our list. The manager did comp us for the swordfish I couldn't eat, but that was after trying to justify the meal telling us that is the way the meal is served, and what I saw/tasted (it also tasted like grease!) was a sauce.

1 Thank LolaMarieTheresa

Been to Aquitaine? Share your experiences!