“Top service and fare at lovely bistro”
Review of Aquitaine

Aquitaine
Reserve with OpenTable
Aquitaine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #169 of 3,292 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Union Park and Tremont Street
Transit: The MBTA #43 stops at our front door at 569 Tremont Street
Description: Award winning Parisian inspired French bistro located in the heart of Boston's South End, overlooking historic Tremont Street.
Reviewed 9 December 2013

You won't be disappointed. Aquitaine is great for a close family dinner or an intimate meal. The service is at the top. Fabulous atmosphere. We recently dined as a party of six, all had different meals and all raved. Worth returning again and again.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Best in the city! You say you want bottomless coffee? A beautiful cinnamon bun and then your choice of some gorgeous fluffy as air omekets filled with the most lucious of treats acvompanied by home fries and bread - all for under $10. Heaven is here. But don't steal my table.

1  Thank 2001amoc
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Having spent a week in Paris a few years ago, I found that Aquitaine brought back fond memories of meals on our trip. We went with friends yesterday evening following a matinee at the nearby Calderwood Pavilion. Aquitaine offers a 3 course prix fixe menu, including a glass of wine, from 5:30-6:30 each evening. We ordered from the special menu, which offers a choice of 3 wines, 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 2 desserts. As it happens, we all ordered the same things, but we tried both desserts. I was able to modify my dinner a bit because I must eat gluten-free. Which brings me to our fantastic waiter. Marcio knew without my asking how my dinner had to be modified. He said they would leave the crouton out of the onion soup. He indicated that I could not have the french fries because they were fried in the same oil as other breaded food, and he knew which desserts were gluten free. Kudos to Marcio for knowing and offering all of this help to me; it's still pretty rare for servers to be this well-versed in the dietary restriction. So I really appreciate that. And thanks for great service too! Our water glasses were never empty. The service is attentive, but not overbearing.

The red wine, a blend, was good. The onion soup was served with gruyere cheese. It is superb, with or without the crouton! We each had steak frites, which is served au jus with a watercress salad. Marcio offered me a few choices to substitute for the french fries. I ordered haricots vert (green beans) which were delicious, prepared with shallots.

Much of the menu is in French, and my French is pretty rusty after all these years, so be sure you know what you are ordering, or ask. At my college roommate's wedding reception a while back, one of my other roommates was asked how he wanted his chateaubriand, to which he replied "on the rocks."

I tried both desserts, as they both happened be gluten free and I never pass up an opportunity to sample food that I'm not allergic to...plus my wife can never finish her meal. The creme brulee is one of the best I've had, and the bittersweet chocolate mousse is very good as well, particularly if you like chocolate dessert.

The regular menu has many other items that also look excellent, and the wine list looked very good, so we'll have to try that in the future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

The food here is reliably consistent, and is of good quality (just not great, which, given the price point, I would have expected).

Having been a few times, I found myself enjoying the Filet Au Poivre, and the selections from their cocktail menu are quite tasty.

Aquitaine is a safe bet for consistent, good meals.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We had a fine meal with friends and had a enjoyable meal with a tasty escargot and salad starters. The trout portions were generous and we returned after theater for the profiteroles. Convenient to the Calderwood theater and with the same valet parking, this is one of the finer restaurants in the area.