“Great atmosphere, food and service!”
Review of B & G Oysters

B & G Oysters
Reserve with OpenTable
B & G Oysters is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 3,272 Restaurants in Boston
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Waltham
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

We went for an early " dinner"at 4:30. We ordered off the lunch menu, skipped the crowds and had a great experience. The waiter gave fantastic recommendations and explained them perfectly for those of us not familiar with the oyster scene. The food was served simply, but with obvious professional attention to detail. We realized at the end we had been served and eaten very quickly but without feeling rushed. All around great place to eat for a variety of occasions - family, friends or business!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Had saturday night dinner with another couples. Reservations are made thru Open Table but they didn't show the time we wanted. Called the restaurant directly and got the time we wanted. The other couple was already seated at a nice window seat when we arrived. Started with drinks, oysters and calamari. Had a really helpful waiter who recommended an assortment of a dozen oysters that was so good we went back for another half dozen. Very fresh ! I don't usually get excited about fried food but calamari was very lightly fried and not at all greasy. Great consistency and nicely done !!! My wife had clam chowder for her entree and loved it. I had the Jonah Crab Tagliatelle, a tasty dish with plenty of buttery crab topping eggplant bolognese. I will say that the restaurant runs on the high end of the price range but all was fresh and delicious and was well worth it. I definitely will return.

Special bonus is the valet parking for $18. We were able to leave our car after dinner to stroll down to Copley plaza for coffee and dessert and the valets gave us a special number to text 20 minutes before we arrived back so our car was out front and warmed up when we arrived.... great service !

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I planned a nice date night for my wife and I. We started with some charcuterie and wine at their sister restaurant next door. Then we walked over to B&G where we were suppose to have a reservation; however, they couldn't find it. When we did get seated, our waiter came over and seemed quite nice. However, when he learned that we would not be buying many drinks, only two glasses of wine, he disappeared. After ordering 3 dozen oysters, we decided on a little calamari and the dessert. He scoffed at this and said "so let me get this straight, you aren't ordering dinner?" Flabbergasted, I told him we just ordered a ton of oysters, are going to have another appetizer, and then close with dessert. I was so put off with what happened, I decided I would call management. However, I didn't want to get into it that night and ruin our date night. The next day I called the restaurant and asked to speak with the manager. I was told I could email some restaurant group, that appears to be their parent company, and submit my complaint in writing. I did two months ago and it's a good thing that I did not hold my breath.

1  Thank Bostontraveler122
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Ate here twice in a week and the menu was almost entirely different. As a soup lover, I was pleased to see more than one option; I had the lobster bisque on one occasion, which was excellent. This place is good, but pricey, given the large selection of similar restaurants in Boston and even this area. It's crowded, and the staff certainly makes a point of getting you in and out fast. That said, the food was good.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I live right around the corner from B & G Oysters, but rarely go in due to price and service. Yesterday, I was 'in need' of some oysters and stopped in. The oysters were good. The server, Hilary, was OK. What really irritated me was that each time I put my fork down, having finished my dish, the bus-person was clearing my plate away as I was reaching for a piece of bread. Here I am, still chewing my food, and the plate is being removed. Yes, I understand that Barbara Lynch and crew want to flip my seat, but at these prices, one expects better and more graceful service.

I'll be back again in six months, I suppose, when the memory of this experience fades.

1  Thank ichabod777