“Perfect place to eat before the theater (Huntington is a block away).”
Review of Metropolis Cafe

Metropolis Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Metropolis Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #316 of 3,306 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$21 - US$29
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Between Clarendon St.and Dartmouth St.
Transit: Bus stops near our front door at 584 Tremont Street Green Line T stops, Back Bay and Copley Silver Line on Washington Street
Description: A cozy and casual Mediterranean cafe overlooking bustling Tremont Street, in Boston’s Historic South End. Offering our guests fine dining, hospitality and casual dining prices. Join us any night for Dinner or come try our award winning brunch on Saturday & Sunday.
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Who knew that this small intimate cafe would be a hidden gem? There were 10 of us and everyone's meal was a taste explosion. I had the Asparagus Tartar with avocado for an appetizer and it was an unexpected surprise. Perfect instead of a salad. I had one of the best risotto's I have eaten in the U.S. with fresh market ingredients. It took me back to Italy. Everyone raved and I only wish I lived in Boston if only for this restaurant. They also have a nice wine list.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I cannot understand why this restaurant gets good reviews. We were not even seated yet when the waiter came rushing over to see what we wanted. We asked for time. He was back in two minutes. Then, (weirdest thing of all), waiter approached table while my husband was in the men's room to again ask me to order. He looked surprised when I explained that one of us was not present. The place is tiny and there are way too many tables. No room for all dishes to fit on the table. We could hear every word of our neighbors' conversation. Banquette and chairs were very uncomfortable. There was a rush all night to move us out of there as fast as possible. Food was also flawed. Gnocchi was super salty. And one should never put whole peppercorns, lots of them, in a dish. Very unpleasant. No liquor license. To summarize, the food was ordinary at best but the service was rushed and curt and the main focus was apparently to move the meat.

1  Thank RT/DT
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Have gone to this restaurant once or twice a year for the past few years. Food is very, very good, but they never seem to change the menu much, if at all. More variety would make me frequent it more often.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Once again, Metropolis was excellent. One of our favorites in Boston when dining in the South End, we went for dinner with friends and enjoyed ourselves. Service was friendly and attentive. The chicken soup was shared by all of us. The duck breast special and the veal entrees were outstanding. My risotto was very good, but too salty for my taste. The desserts were excellent.
We'll be back again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We love this little neighborhood restaurant, one of our favorites. The food is always good and the service is always great. They tend to change the menu a bit every season and everything is always good and fresh.

Jeffrey G, Owner at Metropolis Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Thank you for dining with us and for posting your kind impression!
Jeffrey Gates