“A gem in South End”
Review of Metropolis Cafe

Metropolis Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Metropolis Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #296 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Between Clarendon St.and Dartmouth St.
Transit: Bus stops near our front door at 584 Tremont Street Green Line T stops, Back Bay and Copley Silver Line on Washington Street
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had seen a review of Metropolis and stumbled across it on our first night in Boston. We squeezed into a tiny table in the window and had first rate steak and risotto. A lovely, simple, buzzy neighbourhood restaurant with great food.

There are newer reviews for Metropolis Cafe

Reviewed 28 May 2014

In this crowded field of quality restaurants in the South End this place rocks. Privately owned and managed by a wonderful chef who greets you at the door, the food is fresh, ingredients rule the flavors and it's just plain fun. service is simple and professional (no Hello My Name Is stuff...just good friendly old fashioned elegant service). Fish for all 6 of us was just the best. Nothing to complain about, even the coffee was terrific.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Why does it seem so hard to find a restaurant that has the right mix of good food, the right ambiance and excellent service. Lots of restaurants get close, but often fail on one of the three. Metropolis seems to have found the right mix. The service was excellent. Our server was understated but the real deal. She quoted the prices with the specials (thank you!!. Attention all restaurants: we're not cheap we just want to know if we think a dish is worth $20, $30, $50). When I asked what she liked she shared her favorites and most of us can tell if a server is lying. If they are they will say "most peple order the....". That's not what I asked. She knew the wines, how the dished were prepared and gave great information on the app's and side dishes. The food was exactly as she described, it was delicious. Portions were just right too. And that most difficult leg of the stool - the ambiance. Not sure what it was about this place but it was right. It's not a large restaurant but the acoustics were good, the lighting was good, the place had character and it looked like a neighborhood kind of spot, which are my favorite. Prices were very reasonable for Boston. Make a reservation as this place isn't large and I'm guessing other people already know that this place is one of those places you'll go to again and again.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Love this place. Very reasonable prices for the quality of the food. Risottos are great. It's very small, and there's no place to wait if they're full, so reservations are probably a good idea. Perfect location for before theater if you're going to the BCA.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Who knew that this small intimate cafe would be a hidden gem? There were 10 of us and everyone's meal was a taste explosion. I had the Asparagus Tartar with avocado for an appetizer and it was an unexpected surprise. Perfect instead of a salad. I had one of the best risotto's I have eaten in the U.S. with fresh market ingredients. It took me back to Italy. Everyone raved and I only wish I lived in Boston if only for this restaurant. They also have a nice wine list.