“Excellent home style cuisine”
Review of Ida's Restaurant - CLOSED

Ida's Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Attleboro, MA
“Excellent home style cuisine”
Reviewed 9 August 2011

This was my first time dining at Ida’s and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The one thing you need to know is that it’s a total “home style” experience. Having grown up in an Italian family in the Boston area, I compare dining at Ida’s to a Sunday dinner at Grandma’s house. The food is outstanding and plentiful, the staff is very friendly and welcoming, and the space is, well, “homey”. If you are looking for this type of experience, then you will be more than happy with a visit to Ida’s.

Our table had several different dishes: veal/eggplant parmesan, chicken/eggplant parm, and veal roast. The veal roast was the favorite. In fact they only had one order left, and one of our group was lucky enough to snag it. However, knowing that we all were craving a taste, our waitress was kind enough to bring us the leftover end piece (on the house) that was too small to sell, so that we could all try it. Wow! What a fantastic dish – slow roasted and seasoned to perfection, served with au jus. The other dishes were top notch as well. All came with pasta on the side which was cooked to a perfect al dente and served with a wonderful Bolognese sauce.

The space is quite small (maybe 6-9 tables in all) and a bit cramped, but that is part of the experience. There was only 1 waitress on the night we went (not sure if that is normal). Since she was very busy, the service was a bit slower paced, but we appreciated that as opposed to being rushed out on a busy night. And even though she was busy, she was still very accommodating an friendly.

If you are looking for an upscale experience in the North End, then it’s best you try somewhere else. However if you are looking for great food at a reasonable price in a welcoming environment, check out Ida’s. You will definitely want to call for reservations on a Saturday night. Oh, and they told us that if you want to be guaranteed the veal roast, you can ask them to hold you a serving when you make your reservation. You can bet I will be doing that the next time I visit!

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank TonyC1959

Seattle, WA
“Fan of Ida's for 25+ years!”
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Where do I start? Maybe that I've been eating at Ida's since the early 80s, and I've never had a bad meal there? That one time when I had my mouth all primed for it and they told me they had just served the last slice of veal roast, I burst out crying? Re the veal: it's NOT pounded so thin you can read through it like you'd find at many of the tourist traps in the North End, but stuffed (from what I can tell) with pine nuts, fresh basil, carmelized onions, maybe a little parmesan cheese, salt & pepper.. slow roasted for hours until it's heartbreakingly tender... then served in a big slab in a pool of it's own amazing juices. HEAVEN on a plate. I can't even *type* about it without drooling! ;-)

Ida's can get a line and that sometimes means a wait in a place this "cozy", but to my mind, the delicious and reasonably priced food served by people who truly love their customers has always been worth it. To the woman who complained about the sauce being "just chopped tomatoes", fugheddaboudit. I've never once had heartburn from the sauce at Ida's, and we all know that means it has cooked for hours (or days). I suspect that reviewer is more used to herb & salt-laden sauce in a jar than she lets on. She forgot what good "gravy" tastes like. It tastes like... wait for it... fresh TOMATOES!!!! LOL

Eat at Ida's. You won't regret it unless you really enjoy the hoopla at tourist trap Italian restaurants... where veal slices are thin and the mark-ups thick! Ida's offers good value and great food.

• Visited June 2010
1 Thank mcwrenn
portland oregon
“Busiest weekend in Boston at Ida's”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Wait...yes, even with reservations. Noisy, yes, since all the tables are crowded together and there is only about seven of them. Hot, very, as the air didn't move at all...but worth it...yes! Nothing fancy here, just authentic (well maybe not entirely) good basic Italian food. Veal marsala, ravioli's, eggplant parmigiana, and house wine served in pitchers....glad we waited .... the experience was worth it.

1 Thank suzregan
Los Angeles, California
“Take It From an Italian - This is a Great Place!”
Reviewed 30 September 2010

If you've had a bad meal at Ida's I suggest you go again. I AM Italian and the sauce they use has always been wonderful. It takes me 2 days to make my Ragu (spaghetti sauce for you non-Italians!) and their sauce compares very well with mine (of course, nothing compares to home-made...really). My wife & I now live in LA, and any time we get back to Boston, Ida's is the place we go to eat. By the way, if Ida's is closed we go to Floramo's 5th Avenue in Chelsea!

1 Thank hannibal132
San Antonio
“Great referral by a native to North End Restaurant”
Reviewed 22 May 2010

We totally enjoyed our visit! Great food and family service. They were all so friendly and seemed genuinely flattered that we met someone on our plane trip that referred us. Something is very right that Ida opened her restaurant in 1951! We understand that they are only open evenings Thursday through Saturday. Cash only which they reminded us when we made the reservation.

2 Thank RChapman