“Red sauce deliciousness”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Ida's has 10 tables and about 25 seats. It's literally like walking into someone's living room. They're only open 3 days a week and I thought I wouldn't be able to get a reservation because I left a message the same week. Donna was so nice. She called me back on Thursday and set us up for Saturday. She also turned out to be our server. We had the bruschetta which came on large chunks of bread and had mozarella and peppers and onions on them. Very tasty. We got an appetizer serving of the meatballs because I had read rave reviews. The reviews were well deserved! They were tender, flavorful and so obviously homemade. My husband and I joked that we might order another plate for dessert! I had the eggplant ala Ida's which was really good. My husband had the veal and eggplant dish. He really liked his as well. The menu is basic, Chicken, veal, eggplant and all the pasta dishes are spaghetti based. It was a really nice experience. I would definitely go back.

2  Thank boriqua72

Reviewed 21 January 2013 via mobile

Everytime we go to the North End, we go to Ida's. It's like eating in an Italian home. The food is simple basic Italian food, served by a family who have been there for generations. The tables are close together so you can chat with the other diners and the atmosphere is cozy. Never have we been rushed to make way for other diners. The fact that they are only open three nights a weeks says a lot. It's about serving great food at reasonable prices. Go there if you want to be treated well. It's an experience well worth the trip!

1  Thank pmonachina
Reviewed 11 January 2013

The last time I wrote a review of a North End restaurant and recommended it highly, we couldn't get in the next time because the line was too long. When I told my ever-loving that I was going to recommend Ida's, our favorite North End place, she warned what happened that time. But I see from other reviews that the secret is out, so here goes.

I first dined at Ida's in 1952. It had been open only a year, and was an instant favorite of local Italian journalists and politicians. Anna and her daughter, Felicia, were the cooks. No menues. You ate what they made that day. (A few years later, Felicia opened her own restuarant that was the best in the North End for many years.) Today, Ida's is very much the same as the original. It seats only about 30. It is run by Paul and Donna Bruno. Paul's aunt, a native of Rome, prepares specialities that take lots of time, and Paul is in the kitchen in the evenings. Ida's is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and only serves dinner. They feature plain, "old fashioned" Italian dishes, the kind your Italian grandmother would make. Salad and pasta on the side are served with all main dishes. The pasta gravy (plain red sauce) is the best I know. I have no idea what the secret is. Roast stuffed veal is my favorite; Saltimbocca is my mate's. Ida's is one of the few North End restaurants that offer house wine by the carafe -- small, medium or large. Medium is plenty for two. (They also have a selection of bottled wine and beer.) Prices of food and wine are reasonable. The place is small, and it's informal, and you will surely meet friendly people at the next table. Make reservations, and they take cash only. You'll make Ida's your "local" just as I've been doing for 60 years.

2  Thank Robert S
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Down a little alley, nice little place to escape the hectic hustle of the North End. Serves good traditional Itailian food in a traditional Italian way. Wouldn recommend.

1  Thank RaeRae M
Reviewed 16 September 2012

After eating "fancy Italian" several times in the North End, we asked a couple bartenders where we could find great home style Italian like grandma used to make. One name kept coming up -Ida's. Ida (90+ years old) and her sister are in charge of the kitchen and make authentic sauces...3 days a week ;). Generous portions, reasonable prices (entree includes a side salad and side of spaghetti with bolognese), and quaint atmosphere. Will come again!

1  Thank Amygkaufman