“One of Best in Boston”

Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Fairfield St.
Transit: Copley Square T
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Beautiful dining room. Small seating area for having a drink before dining. while it is expensive, the eating experience is one of the best in boston. The tastings are either 5 or 8 or the Journey and are priced at 108 to 208. We had terrific service throughout the meal.
We had the 8 course and loved it except for 2 things(cheese plate was very small and only 4 ieces of cheese) and they have 2 desserts. One dessert is plenty and shlould have another course. Everything is unique and delicouse. Be forwarned, the portions are small. If you have a big appetitate then you will probably need a pizza afterwards. However, this is a special occaion place especially if you love different foods preparted with care.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 29 August 2018

These are going to sound like nits. Because they are nits. But at $250 a head, you should get perfection. So; no valet parking; one cocktail was served cool instead of chilled; I had two of the classic "Aviation" cocktails, which were good, but a correct Aviation has a maraschino cherry and a lemon twist ... and the weird part is the first one had the cherry and the second one had the twist; some of the dishes came out warm instead of hot; service was good but not excellent (not Menton's level, certainly) which was also odd because the place was only half full; the wine list, while large, had a disproportionate number of very expensive bottles (up to $9900) and almost nothing less that $100. On the positive side, the food was generally excellent, the plates were interesting (the actual plates!), I liked the decor, the tables are spaced far apart so conversation is easy, and I liked our servers... they just didn't insert themselves at the appropriate times. All in all, it was a pleasant dinner, but out of sorts with the price tag.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

It’s an amazing restaurant. Fine dining but the food and the experience you will have there is something beyond expectations. It’s good place to go and enjoy a good fine dining. I recommend this place for everyone visit.

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We were celebrating our 25th and the restaurant was celebrating its 40th.
The elegance, simplicity of setting, paired with the sheer masterful creativity of the food made for an unforgettable experience. The expertise of the unpretentious, charming staff was irresistible.
How did 3+ hours pass so sublimely?
Allow some of these humble photos from our chef‘s tasting with paired wines help tell the story of our visit. The dinner almost came close to matching how much I love the woman with whom I shared the evening.

Reviewed 6 August 2018

We have been customers of the restaurant for many years, dating back to its previous location and always enjoyed our visits. however, something is now amiss.

Let me start with the dress code.I received a confirmation of my reservation with a suggestion that jackets for men were preferred which, given the price levels, one would expect from a fine dining establishment. Boy, did I stick out wearing a jacket. There were people there wearing shorts and T-shirts and flip flops. I wouldn't bet against them admitting someone in a speedo and lifeguard whistle. Not to sound snobby, but when you are dropping $600+ on a dinner for two, looking at toe jam is not very appetizing. Beware, admitting people dressed as sloppy as this into a fine dining establishment is a sign that they are desperate for business, and not a good omen for the meal.

Sure enough, we had the multi-course tasting menu which is usually a tour de force of the chef's talents and were more than disappointed. There was not one dish that we could say was really distinctive or delicious and one of them, a duck pate, was so off putting because of over seasoning that we took one bite and abandoned it. All the courses were pedestrian at best and in most instances totally insipid.

The service if "OK". The dining room had about 5-6 tables occupied and you would expect that everything would be spot on, which it definitely wasn't, from the late service of the wine to the feel that getting you through the meal vis a vis your total satisfaction was the priority.

The wine list is extensive and a bit on the high side. they offer a full array of cocktails.

As mentioned above this "experience", where we broke bread with people just dropping in from the swimming pool, was $600 +. It was one of those times when I spent hat money on a meal and felt truly had. We will not be back and I highly recommend you take your dining dollar elsewhere. This experience can be had for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

1  Thank william z