“Four Dot Hotel, Two Dot Neighborhood.”

enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood
Ranked #20 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New York City, New York
“Four Dot Hotel, Two Dot Neighborhood.”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to stay in Boston on business. We picked the Envision hotel in part because it was midway between our respective meetings, and partly because it seemed to have decent reviews. We were not disappointed in the hotel itself. The rooms were clean, and well stocked. The decor was modern and elegant - nicely appointed. Water and Wifi were both free, and there were lots of outlets for the business minded traveler. We arrived early and when we were first checked in, the room offered was right next to the front desk. Our objections were promptly addressed, and we were moved to a nicer room on the third floor. It was the accessibility room, so the size of the bathroom was disproportional in relation to the room itself, out of necessity. Being a small, boutique hotel in a mostly residential neighborhood, it was quiet, and we slept soundly.

The hotel was a former rest home. The most obvious sign was the complete lack of restaurants or any other services within easy walking distance. This is compounded by the fact that the neighborhood is frankly a bit sketchy (Back of the Hill). So if you are without a car, as most New Yorkers are, you are out of luck for a quick bite. On the other hand, public transportation (the Green Line) is nearby, so if you have the time you can make your way around. If you do have a car, they have a convenient, safe valet parking garage underneath the hotel. We were very impressed with the friendly, accommodating staff.

Room Tip: Avoid the room next to the front desk.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank MHeiser
Lisa Marie C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, 25 April 2013
Thank you MHeiser for your detailed review. It’s great to hear you enjoyed our amenities such as complimentary bottled water and wireless internet. I hope your meetings went well and you had a safe trip back to New York. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Boston!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Callander, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Came to Boston as my daughter is moving to the area. Stayed at en Vision and loved it from the moment we pulled up. The neighborhood is cute and cozy... loved having Olmsted Park in the back to walk in the morning and evenings. Tons of great restaurants in the area that are easily accessible from the "T" or a short walk (depending on how energetic you are). It was nice to be away from the craziness that occurs in large city centers! Would definitely stay when we come back to visit!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Monique G
Lisa Marie C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Thank you Monique for your wonderful review! Olmsted Park is a great retreat for anyone looking to get outdoors while visiting the city.We hope your daughter enjoys living in the city and we look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Boston!
Altus, Oklahoma
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The Envision Motel at first glance looks good despite being in a suspect neighborhood. The place looks great but after close inspection, you can see that the remolding of the former nursing home won't last long. You have to make sure your door is shut because of a poor fit. Do not get room 101 because it is the noisiest room in the motel. When you complain, they act if they don't care. We had to pay much higher rate due to the Boston Marathon for a noisy room that should have been discounted. We will not stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank okiedawg
Lisa Marie C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Okiedawg:

Thank you for your review of our property. We take great pride in our hotel and its amenities and we thank you for your positive comment regarding our hotel. I have gone ahead and shared your review with our entire team and every effort will be taken to ensure the aforementioned issues are looked into. Our hotel is located in a great neighborhood that includes complexes for college and medical students in addition to young professionals. We are in walking distance from several great restaurants including The Mission, Canary Square and Tres Gatos. In addition the "T" runs in front of our hotel with a stop a few steps from our front door, allowing guests to travel into downtown Boston without any parking worries.

We thank you for your patronage and hope to see you again for next year’s marathon!
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I work in travel public relations so I see a lot of different boutique properties. enVision is a trendy and chique boutique hotel with admirable decor. It was the perfect choice for a first-time visitor like myself to Boston. Its location and convenience near the T made it ideal and even a cab ride to the city was relatively inexpensive. I wished our room was not directly next to the lobby on the first floor but it wasn't a life ruining act. :)

The staff was so friendly and as a public relations professional, stewardship is key! The staff replied to my tweets, which was unexpected and so sweet. There was live music on Friday evening when my boyfriend and I returned from a long day and it was such a pleasant surprise to hear it (even inside our room). Plus, the little cafe/snack bar had healthy snacks and drinks which I appreciated in the morning!

If you're looking for a gem and affordable prices (I'm 22 by the way), go here. You don't need a pricey downtown hotel to enjoy this city. This is far more memorable. You won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daniellelogan
Danielle, we are so appreciative of your lovely comments! We are thrilled you had a great experience on your first visit to Boston and that we were able to help create some fond memories. We want to provide unique amenities to our guests such as Fresh Note Fridays and our café so hearing feedback on it is always wonderful! Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to town!
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel could not have been more lovely. I understand that it is not even a year old yet and it shows! The decor is fabulous, the rooms are very large with 12 foot ceilings, beautiful bathroom and the beds are so comfortable. Having a microwave and fridge was perfect. I was using the room as a place to stay while my dad had surgery at Brigham and Womens hospital and the location was only an 8 minute walk away. It is a quaint botique hotel. That being said, I did have a few issues, especially with the noise factor. There were 4 ladies in the room next to mine and I could hear their conversations through the wall. Also, one of them was a snorer and it was loud enough to wake me up through the wall. I made several phone calls a day to my dad in the hospital and was surprised to see that I was charged for each and every local call. That is unusual for a hotel. The only other thing that was odd was the plug situation. There is a lovely desk with a lamp but only a single plug so it was either my PC or the lamp, not both, which was tough as I was trying to get some work done in the evenings and had to suffer with the dim overhead light as I didn't have any place to plug the desk lamp in! That was also where the coffee machine was so you need to crawl under the desk to unplug the lamp in order to make coffee. Overall, though, a lovely place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank princesshollyanne
Thank you Bartender411 for your wonderful review. I hope your father’s surgery went well and he is off to a speedy recovery! I’m terribly sorry you were kept awake by other guests and were charged for local calls. Can you please email me your information so I can adjust off the charges for the local calls as they should be free. My email address is lcooper@envisionhotelboston.com. In addition I would like to thank you for your feedback about the plugin situation. Thanks to your suggestion we have purchased multi-plug units that have been put under the desks so there is more functionality for electronics! Once again thank you for choosing enVision Hotel and we hope to see you on your next trip to Boston!
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 April 2013

The enVision is a small hotel located right off the "T" so you have easy access to the whole city and is much more reasonably priced than many of the downtown hotels. The the staff was friendly and helpful, and the rooms were clean and spacious (we were a party of four and had no trouble in a room with two double beds).

A hairdryer, mini-fridge and coffeemaker are provided, as is a light breakfast in the morning. Valet parking is available (it was marketed as $20/day when we were there, though we did not use the service).

Though it seems nice, it's not that well put together. When we went to hang a handtowel up on a hoop in the bathroom, the whole fixture fell. Which is about the time we noticed the bathroom door didn't latch/stay shut. It wasn't that big of a deal, but when my spouse went to get ice and then opened the door to the room when we thought it was locked, we became concerned and called the front desk. They informed us that not all the doors close properly and we should pull up on the handle while shutting firmly and that should fix it. [They also said the fixture problem was already known.]

We did as they suggested to make the door latch and double checked every time we left from that point forth and had no trouble. The view wasn't great and each room is different, so if that's important to you, you can request a room with a nice view but the convenience to the train system and the reasonable prices make it a good choice for visiting Boston. Some mentioned train noise, but this was never an issue for our stay.

It had it's quirks but I would recommend the hotel and would stay there again when visiting Boston.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SiriusScientist
Lisa Marie C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Greetings SiriusScientist:

Thank you for your detailed review of our property. We are indeed an easy access from the T as it passes right by our front door! We also appreciate your positive comments regarding our staff and the cleanliness of our rooms and varying amenities. We do have various room types which includes a park view rooms which we love to have you stay in during your next journey to the Boston area.

The staff and I would like to apologize for the various issues that you experienced with the doors and the bathroom fixture. These issues are being resolved expeditiously and I can speak with certainty that these issues will not reoccur.

Thank you for the recommendation to your fellow travelers. We appreciate it! Please contact me directly during your next stay. I can be reached at lcooper@envisionhotelboston.com

Happy travelling!
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. Extremely clean, sleek boutique hotel near the Colleges of the Fenway. Public transit right outside the door. Better than the Marriott, Hilton, etc. and an even better price. Lots of events going on in the city this week and they offered the best rate. No continental breakfast, room service, etc. but it did not bother me. If you need a cozy, upscale place to stay near the VA, Longwood Medical, Colleges of the Fenway, skip the chain hotels and stay here!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Lisa Marie C, General Manager at enVision Hotel Boston - Longwood, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Jamsam30, we are ecstatic that you “love, love, love” us! When enVision was created our owners had the vision of a high-end and comfortable hotel that everyone could enjoy at a reasonable price point. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you in the future!