“Great Pasta”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Neighbourhood: North End
Description: The original location founded in 1973 offers a friendly dining atmosphere. With only twenty seats, you are guranteed fast, effecient service and fresh seafood! This will be an experience to remember. The chalkboard menu features all the classic dishes, in addition to weekly specials! Bring a friend and join the fun!
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Be prepared to wait in line for an hour. Don't be offended by the plastic cups. There's only 20 seats, and you can feel the heat of the open kitchen an arms length away. The squid ink pasta with ground squid and garlic will make the rest worth it. We also had the lobster Diavolo, which was delicious. No bathroom, no dessert!

Reviewed 25 August 2011

Nice place on the sea overlooking Boston downtown. The owner is not particularly friendly, but the service staff are. Food nothing special. What is surprising is the check - which in itself is not very high - but where the service is automatically added 20% tips and also they have the nerve to ask for some additional “gratuity”.

2  Thank marcello41
Reviewed 22 August 2011

First off, look, don't go here expecting white-glove service, creature comforts, and fabulous amenities. The place is TINY, and it's five-ish tables are operated by one chef, one server, and one dish washer. That being said, WHO CARES WHEN THE FOOD IS THIS GOOD?!?!?!

My husband and I went here fully expecting a long wait and a delicious but basic dinner in a packed itty bitty restaurant, and that's exactly what we got. We could not have been happier with the entire experience. :) After waiting about 45 minutes on the street for a table, we sat down at a table we shared with a family of four and were served water in plastic cups. All fine with me, because I had been told so many times that the food is worth the wait and the so-called "inconvenience."

We ordered fried calamari as an appetizer, my husband got shrimp, scallops, and broccoli in the white sauce, and I got scallops and linguini in the red sauce. EVERYTHING was so unbelievably delicious!!!!! You cannot imagine how good BOTH of the pasta sauces were! I wish I lived closer to Boston so I could go back again and again for the same things!

Two recommendations, though. 1) Go to the one on Hanover Street. This is the tiny original restaurant, and my husband and I agreed that the entire experience would not have been the same at either of the other two locations. 2) Forgo the "fancier" fish dishes and get the simple pasta dishes. That's the gold you're coming for--amazingly delicious and simple Italian fare!

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Hole in the wall treasure.

We ended our short weekend in New England in Boston and thanks to yelp, happened across this nice find. Beware though... when I say hole in the wall, I mean hole in the wall. The restaurant seats probably at most 20. The kitchen is open... this just adds to the ambiance. You see the calamari going in, the squid ink pasta coming out and the smell.... delish!

I recommend the Aglio Olio... the ground squid bits... the garlic flavor.... Yum... I'm still drooling as I"m typing this. We also had the broiled haddock, monk fish marsala and shrimp, scallops and broccoli linguine. The broiled haddock was tasty. It was coated in bread crumbs and broiled to perfection. Shrimp, scallops and broccoli linguine was linguine at it's best. The monk fish was good, but slightly sweeter than I was anticipating... nonetheless, the plate was still clean at the end of the meal.

Save the bread to sop up the sauce in the end.

Well worth the wait!

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I visited the North End location yesterday.. I wanted to go to lunch, but it is a very small place that doesn't take reservations (at that location, others do) and there were 6 or so people already in line. I instead returned for an early dinner at about 4pm and had no problem being seated. I had the calamari meatballs as an appetizer. Wonderful! I then had the putanesca with black pasta. This has an anchovie and olive-based puree served with sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms. Other than wishing this could be served with some kind of meat or fish, I absolutely loved it. Didn't have enough bread to sop up every molecule of sauce. The food is cooked right in front of you, and is thus as hot off the grill as it could be. This location has been in the North End since the early 70's and doesn't look like it's changed much. Okay, probably the multi-colored chalk menu doesn't go back that far...

2  Thank bfly1

Been to The Daily Catch? Share your experiences!