“Exactly what we wanted”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Neighbourhood: North End
Description: The original location founded in 1973 offers a friendly dining atmosphere. With only twenty seats, you are guranteed fast, effecient service and fresh seafood! This will be an experience to remember. The chalkboard menu features all the classic dishes, in addition to weekly specials! Bring a friend and join the fun!
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I'm not sure where I read about this place, but it was on my short list when visiting Boston. We were very pleased and would definitely go back again.

Restaurant has limited seating and is cash only. Menu is on a blackboard on the wall. Food is delicious and oriented to seafood/pasta. Most people we very casually dressed and lots of locals seem to come here.

We shared a small fried calamari which was plenty for an appetizer for two. It did not come with marinara sauce - I guess we should have asked but the calamari was so good we didn't really miss it. I had the calamari balsamic saute with broccoli for main and my wife had shrimp with linguine. Both very good and garlicy. Pasta was cooked just right. Service was good. We chatted it up with some locals while waiting in line (short wait) outside.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

After reading all the great reviews on this in many sources, I couldn’t wait to try. It sounded like getting a table would be difficult, so we went 16:00 on a Monday. No problem. Table right away.

Menu a blackboard on the wall. Only 20 seats. Seafood and pasta oriented menu. Very friendly people who enjoyed a lively joking conversation. Kitchen in open view and very entertaining to watch.

Shared a small fried squid (which looked large) and squid meatballs. Fried squid very good. Not sure about the squid meatballs. It came with a tomato sauce that overpowered a squid taste. Great idea and nicely presented, but I really couldn’t taste anything other than the sauce. Neither good nor bad.

Main course a was pasta vongole (clams). Had it with the “white sauce”, which is actually wine and oil with garlic and a few chopped chili peppers (as it should be). Fresh clams instead of canned stuff. It was great. As good as I’ve had in Italy.

Large portions and nicely priced.

A great place. Good food and prices, great people and fun. Pick you visit carefully and you can avoid waiting in line. The type of place that would be a star on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Channel.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

This place has high recommendation but I don't know if it's that good. Yes the food was good, and the calamari meatball was one of its own kind. However, the pasta was something you could get in many restaurants in this area... And atmosphere isn't too good because the place is small and very noisy with the cooking sound. I don't know if it's worth to be in the line to eat here.

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Amazing pasta, we had the squid ink with squid (!) and the combo. Basic kind of place but the food was great. Equals any pasta we've had in Italy. Tiny. January - and minus degrees, we can see why we did not queue but can see why it is usual to.
No CCs accepred.
For dessert we got a Lobster Tail from Mikes over the road!
Well worth the walk from our hotel but avoid if you don't do shellfish as there's not much else!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

If you go at a conventional meal time you will wait in line. Have a snack and have lunch at 2:30. We are locals and that is our best strategy. Everything is wildly garlic and authentically Italian. The portions are huge so if you don't have a teenage boy with you you can split a salad, entree and vegetable between 2. The sauces beg for more bread so that not a drop is wasted. The restaurant is tiny and usually the one server is flat out. The kitchen is open to the restaurant and I love sitting and watching the cook multi task. Go for the food and the atmosphere. The prices are totally reasonable. The whole scene is loads of fun.

1  Thank Wendy T