“Exciting dining spot”

Tangierino Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
Tangierino Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #513 of 3,404 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Moroccan, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Charlestown
Cross street: Monument Avenue
Transit: A 5 minute walk from Bunker hill Community College Station, 6 minutes from North End
Description: Tangierino Brasserie, located in the heart of historic Charlestown, has been a neighborhood landmark for over 15 years. We offer both seasonal authentic French cuisine and Moroccan specialties complimented by over 125 wines from around the globe, handcrafted cocktails, as well as local and international beer selections. We use the freshest and the finest ingredients, including prime beef, locally caught seafood, small farm vegetables and the widest array of the earth's most exotic spices to produce the most delicious meals in Boston
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We had a reservation and were shown to our table immediately. It was one of the best seats in the house under a canopy on cushioned couches at a low table. I have to say that the table was really a bit low for comfortable dining but the atmosphere more than made up for that. Unfortunately, we never got to experience the belly dancers, even though I saw them and we were there from before 8 until after 10. I guess they were waiting for Kevin Garnet's arrival. The food was delicious the wine list was great and we went down to the hookah lounge for a bit. The only downer was that our waiter was really trying to be a bit too friendly and was often interrupting us and trying to take away plates that were still being worked on.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We had to wait for nearly 10 minutes for the staff at the front desk to even acknowledge our presence considering there were two people at the desk; one person was just staring into space and the other person was helping a customer get a taxi. we were shown to our table which was in a corner near an emergency exit door and had no room to manoeuvre. Also as it was in the corner there was no overhead lighting. So when the menus were handed to us by a rathe brusque waiter I had to use my iPhone light to navigate the menu. Given we were vegetarian I asked if they could do us anything outside of the menu to which I was given a brusque no. There were two dishes we could choose from and a few salads and a soup. We ordered the Harira soup which was served tepid at best; the 7 vegetable couscous was a good choice though. Overall, service clearly lets the place down and quite badly at that.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

My companion and I were visiting Beantown for the New Year and decided we wanted to smoke some hookah and get to see a neighborhood we hadn't explored yet (Charlestown). Now Charlestown is a very quaint neighborhood reminiscent of Old Town Alexandria in our hometown of Washington. We came here on the Monday night before New Years and they had valet parking $15 (not TOO bad) but we found easy street parking a block or two down. Not sure if this was a fluke because it was around New Years.

Doorman and would be parking attendant were both very nice and welcoming. We entered and went downstairs for the hookah lounge. There was a space open so we were promptly seated. Being that we were in Beantown and were just getting used to entering establishments and being the only black patrons there, we were pleasantly surprised at the number of inter-racial couples/groups that were at Koullshi. The service was friendly enough if slightly "cool" and hands off (not in a bad way per se), and we were left to peruse the menu.

Wow, this place is WAY overpriced was what I thought as I was reviewing the menu. And to clear the air we live in the District where both the median income and cost of housing are higher than in Boston so it's not like we're used to "cheap stuff". The hookah was downright the most expensive stuff I've smoked in my life from DC to NYC lol. I believe we paid $40 for what would have been $15-$25 at higher end places back home. Now I will say it was very smooth, and close to being the most refined hookah I've ever smoked. The sticker shock didn't stop there I believe we paid $9 for sangria, luckily we had already eaten dinner at our hotel or this would have been an even more expensive outing.

Now I do say all that to say that the ambiance was nice, as I said the hookah was high quality, and we were on a mini-vacation so we figured why not treat ourselves. But I probably wouldn't frequent this place on a regular basis. My thoughts are that it would be reserved for more of a date night or special occasion type deal.

1  Thank White2tn
Reviewed 27 December 2013

interesting menu different flavors and spices; hookah and smoking club downstairs- not part of restaurant so no smoke upstairs. Belly dancer for those who like that!

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Tangierino's is an interesting mixture of things:
The decor and atmosphere are unique and inviting. Seating is at tables or on low seats 'inside' enclosures. Definitiely good for a one time visit.
The service is good and attentive.
The food, alas, got mixed reviews from our group of six. Some gave it a 3 and some 1; no one above 3. The portions are very small, and they are pricey.
Belly dancers do come around. They rotate between the hookah, bar downstairs and the restaurant upstairs, so you get them for a short few minutes near your table. The hookah bar is a separate entity, so you could eat somewhere else (Figs is around the corner) and come to the hookah bar for drinks and smokes afterwards (which may be the best bet, if you are mainly after the smoking experience), or you can eat at the restaurant and then go downstairs for the drinks and smokes.
In summary, this is one of those places you could visit once for the experience but would not come back too many times; there are better values around.