“Decent breakfast spot”

Cuisines: Cafe
Neighbourhood: South End
Neighbourhood: South End
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Down on Berkeley Street is the appropriately named Berkeley Perk Café, a busy little place that's a convenient spot to hit up for a cheap breakfast. The small counter overflows with home-baked cakes, cookies and sweets, flasks of coffee and a small espresso machine sit beneath chalked drinks menus and breakfast offerings are scribed on another board.

My macchiato comes delivered in a large mug, filled to half-way point. A layer of airy foam blanketing a rather long pour of espresso. When I saw a mug coming our way I almost said it was probably for another table; until I looked inside and noticed this was how a macchiato was made at Perk. Perhaps a single shot espresso should have been ordered.

Our food is unfancy and very much like you'd knock up in your own home kitchen. The Berkeley omelette special (5.95) is filled with tomato, bacon and onion and topped with a little avocado. A coffee is included with the smoked salmon bagel (6.5); an everything bagel lightly toasted with tomato, onion and cream cheese. A comfy café, very pleasant service and clearly popular with the locals.

2  Thank heneedsfood

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Popped in here for a quick breakfast as we were stopping at a hotel nearby- delicious and good price. Lunch options sounded lovely too. Good selection, would recommend.

1  Thank Beckytip
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I was staying at an apartment on Appleton Street and commuting to a local hotel for business activities. I stopped for a quick breakfast. Nothing fancy, but the restaurant was clean and owner/staff friendly. I enjoyed a freshly made omelet, toast and tea. It was served prompty and fresh. The price was fair for being close to the South End business district.

The cafe is locally owned and not a chain. it is not fancy. Order at the counter, pay and your food is served. I noticed that quite a few of the customers were 'regulars' and spoke to one another, The owner new quite a few of the customers by name.

Would I return? Yes!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We love this small local eatery and stop every time on Boston. The coffee is perfect and breakfast sandwiches delicious. We like to sit by the window and peel watch.

2  Thank zeth5
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I work in the Back Bay and this is my favorite place to come for lunch. There are a wide variety of sandwiches, including panini, served on your choice of breads. Everything is always fresh. You order at the counter, and then your lunch is brought to you on ceramic plates. The atmosphere is casual but very nice and consistent with the historic charm of the neighborhood. The people who work here are incredibly friendly and helpful. The prices are very reasonable (actually, on the low side for the area and quality). I can't think of a better place to get a sandwich in the South End. They also have great salads and soups, and wonderful breakfast sandwiches in the morning.

2  Thank stmalo7