“I don't want the word to get out ... but”

Residence Inn Boston Downtown/Seaport
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, MA
“I don't want the word to get out ... but”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place is awesome!

Clean, well appointed, great location, helpful staff - and for Boston, affordable. It's a beautiful mill turned hotel, and there's parking easily accessible right behind the building ($30 charge per night I think).

Breakfast looked to be your averages fare - new waffle makers there that I would have LOVED to try, but alas, no carbs for this girl right now, so the eggs it was, and they were fine.

I'd stay here again, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell others to do so as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our 2nd trip in a month to this hotel, and I can't recommend this property more highly. This trip was with our teenage child (she stayed on the pull-out sofa bed, and while it wasn't a throne, she didn't complain), the trip prior was a child-less getaway. The staff at the hotel are very pleasant! Kudos to Kelly, the breakfast chef, who came out to greet guests - ask what he could get them and even clear tables. We saw him both mornings this trip and I'd like to single him out for his commitment to the hotel and the guests - good stuff Kelly, thank you! Breakfast is on-par with what you'd get at another Residence Inn, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, eggs, sausage, bagels, waffles etc. The rooms incorporate savvy architectural features from the original building (massive ceiling beams, brick walls), and this makes the rooms "cool", according to our daughter. The Silver Line T Station is a block away - it's the bus portion of the T that includes the airport on it's route - and you can take the trains to any of the T hubs that connect you to the different colored trains (red, green etc). We took the T to Copley, and the entire trip was less than 15 minutes. The ICA and Children's Museum are within 3 easy walking blocks, and two big foodie restaurants are next door (Sportello and Menton) - neither of which we have visited, but based on reviews, they are on our next stay to-do list. For seafood, the Barking Crab is also close by. We walked to Faneuil Hall with our teenager, and that took about 15 easy minutes; the North End might be about 20 minutes walking. We have stayed all over the city: The W, The Hyatts, The Marriott and Westin at Copley, The Lenox, The Langham, The Taj--it's not even a doubt, this will be our go-to hotel from now on. Parking is on site, but like most of Boston, it's pricey.

Room Tip: Both times we were on the 4th floor - a suite and a standard room. Both were excellent!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

What a great find! We took a cab from the airport (less than 10 mins!) and arrived to be greeted by the most friendly front desk staff. The renovation is fantastic, the original beams are beautiful, the furniture is great looking and comfortable, and the morning breakfast has something for everyone! The evening front desk staff was MUCH friendlier than the morning, maybe they needed some coffee from the buffet?

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Newly renovated but Marriott was able to save some interesting original architectural features. Very cool center courtyard and very large rooms. This hotel is nicer than your typical Residence Inn. I really liked the location. Good restaurants around, simple public transportation to and from Logan Airport, and an easy walk to downtown or North End. They had a large complimentary breakfast and evenings snacks. The staff was friendly. I would definitely stay here again. I was a little nervous not staying downtown as we didn't have a car, but Boston is very walkable. I almost preferred the Seaport area.

(Hint: Courthouse stop on Silver Line bus route (SL1) is right by hotel. It is free from airport and $2.50 for the return trip. The Rapid Bus Transit System only takes 20 min to get to/from airport and you don't have to worry about traffic. Also there is a pedestrian bridge by the Barking Crab that takes you to the heart of downtown Boston from Seaport)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Liked the hotel-nice vibe with the hip loft feeling. Room was HUGE. Location is fine is your looking to walk to seaport- north end etc. T station withing a block and some good restraunts nearby. My complaints- staff at night were friendly but when I checked out in the AM the older gentleman checking people out seemed really cranky- as a Marriott Gold member- I would expect a little bit more friendliness in the morning. The parking lot situation is really confusing- your givien a key card for the lot- but wasnt sure what to do with it when I leave- how I am charged etc...and once you park in the garage next door there are no signs on how to get back to the hotel when you are in the garage- 3 people even asked me how to get back to the hotel. Lastly- I got the vibe because my boyfriend and I were dressed very casual that we were not treated as well as those walking in/checking in business attire- I travel 3-5 times a month for work but this trip was for pleasure- surely wish I was in my work suit because I do think we would have been treated a little more differently.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights while attending a conference at the nearby Renaissance Waterfront. I purposely chose Residence Inn because I like the complementary breakfast and Wi-Fi, and generally Residence Inns are a good value.
The property was built "inside" an old building, so the decor is purposefully "loft-industrial."
However it is warm and inviting, not only in the lobby but in the extremely large 1-bedroom suite.
Although I didn't use the kitchen for cooking, I did appreciate the kitchen island for snacking, plus the extra-long desk for working at the computer. Bed was comfortable and plenty of room in the bathroom.

Everything about this place feels modern and classy---I liked the mix of old industrial + new.

The hotel is only 2 blocks from waterfront walking path and only 10 minute walk to downtown, 20 min walk to Beacon Hill. It felt very safe walking at different times of day.

The desk staff were extraordinarily friendly --- I kept asking myself whether this was a Boston phenomenon or just this hotel. Never met such friendly, helpful people.

Breakfast was standard fare, although I have to mention the morning coffee was outstanding. No need to walk to Starbucks. Only on the third day of my stay did I discover the nearby organic cafe bakeries down the alley.

I would definitely return to this hotel for either business or holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank frgjms2040
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

The converted warehouse look was exceptional. David at the front desk was very friendly at registration and offered plenty suggestion for tours and places to go nearby. The room still had the brand new feel and was very comfortable. Location a little out of way by still easy access to plenty of restaurants and the tour routes.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple