“Great business travel choice”

Residence Inn Boston Downtown/Seaport
Ranked #16 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, Virginia
“Great business travel choice”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Spent one night here prior to a meeting, in a studio suite. In short, I loved the place and in this hotel think I have found my new go-to hotel for visits to Boston. The place is clean, visually interesting (it is a restored old mill), and in a great location. The kitchen was fully appointed, furniture was comfortable, and water pressure good. The room also had two brand new High Def TVs, which made it easy to watch from either the living area or bedroom. Wifi was free and reasonably fast, even without paying the $5.95 to upgrade to faster service.

A few things that were not perfect, and which knock my review down from five stars to 4 (4.5, if TA would allow it): Breakfast, while free, was mediocre even by Residence Inn standards, with overly limited meat and fruit choices. Prices in their marketplace for snack items are far too high. It took 15 minutes to get a taxi during the morning rush, because the main entrance of the hotel is on a side street and cabbies seem not to know of it yet. It is not far from Logan, and during the morning jets were taking off directly overhead. Sound proofing was good, but not perfect, and so I noticed the jet noise (not a problem for me, but a warning for the sound sensitive). None of these things will keep me from staying there again, but for hyper-picky travelers they might be a put-off.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I stayed at this hotel the second week they were open, so they were still ironing out some kinks, but all in all it was a great stay. The hotel is in the Seaport area right across from the financial district and the rest of downtown Boston. So you are really close to a lot of things (the Tea Party museum, kid's museum, all sorts of restaurants on the waterfront, shopping) but it still feels a bit residential as there are several condo buildings nearby.

There is a pretty cool little grocery store right across the street with a great selection of reasonable wine and beer and a hodge podge of organic foods. Very convenient as the rooms are basically like studio apartments. I had a full-size fridge, oven, and dishwasher. There is a separate "living" area with a couch, large TV and large desk, and the bedroom is in the back. Instead of being the standard hotel room, there were some unexpected touches like large timber crossbeams in the ceiling, giving it sort of a cabin feel. No restaurants yet, but I think two are either planned or underway.

The staff was very friendly. Huge bonus - I left my kindle because I was in such a rush and they fedexed it my house, no questions and no charge. Great customer service!!

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Boston, MA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This place is awesome!

Clean, well appointed, great location, helpful staff - and for Boston, affordable. It's a beautiful mill turned hotel, and there's parking easily accessible right behind the building ($30 charge per night I think).

Breakfast looked to be your averages fare - new waffle makers there that I would have LOVED to try, but alas, no carbs for this girl right now, so the eggs it was, and they were fine.

I'd stay here again, and I wouldn't hesitate to tell others to do so as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our 2nd trip in a month to this hotel, and I can't recommend this property more highly. This trip was with our teenage child (she stayed on the pull-out sofa bed, and while it wasn't a throne, she didn't complain), the trip prior was a child-less getaway. The staff at the hotel are very pleasant! Kudos to Kelly, the breakfast chef, who came out to greet guests - ask what he could get them and even clear tables. We saw him both mornings this trip and I'd like to single him out for his commitment to the hotel and the guests - good stuff Kelly, thank you! Breakfast is on-par with what you'd get at another Residence Inn, fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, eggs, sausage, bagels, waffles etc. The rooms incorporate savvy architectural features from the original building (massive ceiling beams, brick walls), and this makes the rooms "cool", according to our daughter. The Silver Line T Station is a block away - it's the bus portion of the T that includes the airport on it's route - and you can take the trains to any of the T hubs that connect you to the different colored trains (red, green etc). We took the T to Copley, and the entire trip was less than 15 minutes. The ICA and Children's Museum are within 3 easy walking blocks, and two big foodie restaurants are next door (Sportello and Menton) - neither of which we have visited, but based on reviews, they are on our next stay to-do list. For seafood, the Barking Crab is also close by. We walked to Faneuil Hall with our teenager, and that took about 15 easy minutes; the North End might be about 20 minutes walking. We have stayed all over the city: The W, The Hyatts, The Marriott and Westin at Copley, The Lenox, The Langham, The Taj--it's not even a doubt, this will be our go-to hotel from now on. Parking is on site, but like most of Boston, it's pricey.

Room Tip: Both times we were on the 4th floor - a suite and a standard room. Both were excellent!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

What a great find! We took a cab from the airport (less than 10 mins!) and arrived to be greeted by the most friendly front desk staff. The renovation is fantastic, the original beams are beautiful, the furniture is great looking and comfortable, and the morning breakfast has something for everyone! The evening front desk staff was MUCH friendlier than the morning, maybe they needed some coffee from the buffet?

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Newly renovated but Marriott was able to save some interesting original architectural features. Very cool center courtyard and very large rooms. This hotel is nicer than your typical Residence Inn. I really liked the location. Good restaurants around, simple public transportation to and from Logan Airport, and an easy walk to downtown or North End. They had a large complimentary breakfast and evenings snacks. The staff was friendly. I would definitely stay here again. I was a little nervous not staying downtown as we didn't have a car, but Boston is very walkable. I almost preferred the Seaport area.

(Hint: Courthouse stop on Silver Line bus route (SL1) is right by hotel. It is free from airport and $2.50 for the return trip. The Rapid Bus Transit System only takes 20 min to get to/from airport and you don't have to worry about traffic. Also there is a pedestrian bridge by the Barking Crab that takes you to the heart of downtown Boston from Seaport)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Staten Island, NY
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Liked the hotel-nice vibe with the hip loft feeling. Room was HUGE. Location is fine is your looking to walk to seaport- north end etc. T station withing a block and some good restraunts nearby. My complaints- staff at night were friendly but when I checked out in the AM the older gentleman checking people out seemed really cranky- as a Marriott Gold member- I would expect a little bit more friendliness in the morning. The parking lot situation is really confusing- your givien a key card for the lot- but wasnt sure what to do with it when I leave- how I am charged etc...and once you park in the garage next door there are no signs on how to get back to the hotel when you are in the garage- 3 people even asked me how to get back to the hotel. Lastly- I got the vibe because my boyfriend and I were dressed very casual that we were not treated as well as those walking in/checking in business attire- I travel 3-5 times a month for work but this trip was for pleasure- surely wish I was in my work suit because I do think we would have been treated a little more differently.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple