“Wonderful Pan Asian tapas feast!”
Review of Shojo Restaurant

Shojo Restaurant
Ranked #454 of 3,270 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Recommended by our hotel concierge as the only restaurant he would recommend in Chinatown, he was so right. Wonderful dishes to share and great cocktails. The four of us shared small plates, Kimchee rice, duck ravioli, dumplings and the pork soft taco, delicious. Our kids loved it. Try it!

1  Thank Local_lass20

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a very small, personal restaurant with a great bartender and wonderful small tapas size portions to share. Go early or get a reservation.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The four of us shared small plates and we got to try most of them on the menu. Stand-outs are the Kimchee rice, raviloi, dumplings and the duck taco but all were top-notch and very well prepared and presented. The cocktails are one of the best reasons to go. The room is a bit loud before you've had a drink or two. The service we had was excellent all the way through the meal. If you're looking for something new in Chinatown and want to experience fresh, new and creative combinations of Asian fusion fare, then Shojo is a great find.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stopped into Shojo for a quick dinner after reading all the rave reviews and press about it and I found Shojo to be just so-so…

I ordered the Charcuterie Board which supposedly had head cheese rillette, duck rillet, veal tongue, porchetta, asian pear, kimchi, fig mostarda, dried longan compote; the Pork Trotter Dumplings and the Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Egg.

The Charcuterie Board was the weakest dish – it was missing the Asian pear, kimchi, fig mostarda and porchetta so I had several large slabs of the head cheese rillette, the duck rillet and the dried longan compote with 3 pickled roots of some sort as garnish. The ‘bread’ was several very greasy, deep-fried bao which were not great. Overall a poor dish – and the most pricey.

The Pork Trotter dumplings were good – again, they were deep fried, but it worked. Nice filling, vinegar for dipping – pretty good.

The best dish by far was the Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Egg – really yummy and I could have had three orders of that alone. The specialty cocktails didn’t sound good to me so I skipped them and had a calpico water – one of my favorites so it was delish.

The blue and white paper straw that got soggy hallway through my drink was not good though. Plastic straws are cheap – skip the paper straws, they are worthless.

I might try Shojo again on another trip to Boston and see if there are other dishes that are comparable to the Kimchi Fried Rice with Fried Egg.

PS - my waiter was affable enough, but basically brought out 3 dishes...my final bill was about $45 and when I gave him $60 he actually wanted to know if I was giving him the rest (34%?!) as a tip...uh, no. I gave him 20% and that was too generous for his service.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Came to Shojo, after my cousin's wedding and really enjoyed this place. The music was great and the staff was really cool. I don't remember what drink was in the tea kettle but it had me going all night!