“The most relaxing get away ever!!!!”
Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I went to the boxer to get a few days away from the stress of life. Emily Antonelli (the manager) mad sure that I received everything that I needed to have a relaxing and enjoyable break from reality. Thanks Emily. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Hello Kyle,

Thank you so much for your compliments. We are thrilled that the entire Boxer team was able to provide you such a reprise from the stresses of the everyday. We cannot wait for your next visit with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great Hotel, Great Experience. Staff is very nice and helpful. Would absolutely stay again You are so close you can walk to most of the hot places to go in Boston. The girl at the front desk welcomed us and helped us to book tours. Really a nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Angela,

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed the attentive care while at The Boxer. We have access to so many excellent city tours and are glad to hear you took advantage of this convenience. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

Our 5 day stay at the Boxer was part business and part family trip to Boston. Our only major issue with the hotel was the valet parking. (I'll get to that later.)

Rooms: A bit small, but normal for a large city like Boston. They were very clean and had a great housekeeping staff. The room I was in had no drawers so we lived out of our suitcase during the stay.

Service: Good but Spotty - Most of the time service was great, but it seems like the hotel understaffed which caused issues.

Location: Wow... This was the best part. We walked everywhere because it was very close or almost close. During the trip we walked to - Childrens Museum (wonderful), New England Aquarium (must see), North End Park (bring swim suit for kids), North End (good eats), Barking Crab (over rated, bad service). The last two days we used the T to get around just because we were tired of walking.

Food: Only had breakfast. It was very good.

Parking: If you don't have a car during your stay.... Be glad. Valet Parking was not a good experience. Often the front desk could not find the valet parking staff. From the time the Valet has my keys in hand it's about 20 minutes before he is back with the car. So if your 2 or 3 cars in line you in for a serous wait. I even asked if my car could be ready 50 minutes early and when I came down I waited another 20 minutes. If you have meetings you need to drive to be careful, you might want to park your own car. I would have gotten in and out much faster and saved some money.

Would I visit the Boxer again... Yes, but I won't bring my car!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Imagemaker73
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Hello ImageMaker,

We appreciate your candid comments on our great location and accommodations; thank you!

Your feedback is very important to us and strive to act swiftly on any areas we may be able to improve the guest experience. Based on recent comments on our valet service, The Boxer hotel is making drastic changes to its current valet department. We understand that the best way to continually improve and strive to provide a truly unique service experience is to act promptly on any opportunities to heighten service standards.

Please feel free to reach out to us directly for your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in mid-June. Nice place. Clean. Rooms a bit small but all in all nice. The staff however needs some work. As I had added on a night, they did it under two reservations so I had to check in and check out again and they made it quite a production. Kept telling me my credit card was declined when in fact it was that the room had already been paid for. Ate dinner one night in their lounge. Very cozy but it took forever to get food and it wasn't crowded. The lobster mac & cheese is to die for! However the slow waitress not only took forever (took her 45 minutes to come back and tell one of my friends that they were out of chicken salad) but she never came back to see if we wanted more drinks. When we got up to get our own, they didn't have proper glassware - served cognac in a white wine glass. The bartender explained that the new owners hadn't gotten proper glassware. We stopped back in the second night and were blown away by the bartender. She went out and on her own, bought proper glassware knowing we'd be back in. Turned out that she wasn't a regular employee there - a shame as she was the only one I saw that knew what they were doing. The place has potential so long as you don't mind staff that doesn't know their jobs.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cscott55

Hello CSScott,

We had our grand re-opening as The Boxer Hotel and Finch Restaurant shortly after your last visit with us in June. I warmly invite you to email me directly for your next visit with us. I assure you that we are profoundly concerned with each of the fine details; right down to particular glassware for our thoughtfully hand crafted cocktails. My email is Emily.antonelli@TheBoxerBoston.com and I know our entire team would be thrilled for you to revisit us.

As part of The Independent Collection, we are dedicated to submersing each of our guests with a unique and neighborhood-centric, personalized experience. We happily anticipate your next visit.

Cheers,

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Great experience. Staff was super friendly. The location was perfect. Easy to walk to Boston Garden(sorry TD, I won't call it that), the waterfront, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall, and just about everywhere else. Our room was very nice. Definitely had a masculine, gritty, city feel to it but not one that would offend anybody. Dark woods and metal. I really loved the decor in our room. There is a bar/restaurant downstairs and it's a very nice place to go have a quiet drink while plotting what adventure to hit up next in Boston. There is a parking garage only a block and a half away and 24 hours is only $33(hey, coming from NYC, that's super cheap!). In the end we really enjoyed our stay and loved being so close to The T, and all the sites that this great city has to offer.

Room Tip: Ask for non-handicap room, away from elevator.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rufusNY

Hello Rufus,

Thank you so much for your compliments about your visit with us at The Boxer. We strive to offer a truly unique product for our guests, from the dark woods and industrial design features in the room to the "crafty" cocktails served in finch. Being a block from North Station is a great plus as well. We look forward to the next time you visit us!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Boxer is a chic urban style boutique hotel. If you appreciate the charm and history of 1904 architecture with modern updates then The Boxer is for you. This is a small hotel. If you are looking for the wow factor and glam of The Four Seasons then this is not for you. It is more comparable to that of The Hudson in New York City(but on a much smaller more intimate scale). It is chic, clean and simple. It's location is excellent with walking distance to The North End as well as The Shops at Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Place. My husband and I received excellent service from the staff. Our requests for extra blankets and linens were granted timely as well as the room service which was from their on site restaurant, The Finch". The sales manager, Anya was extremely helpful. We were very pleased with our visit and we plan to return with our four children and take in some of the many historic sites and museums. And by the way...the also allow pets.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jody V
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Jody V,

How wonderful to hear about your visit with us here at The Boxer. It sounds as if you and your husband were able to truly enjoy many facets of our accommodations; including room service from Finch and the fantastic tourist attractions within walking distance. We look forward to your future visits!

Reviewed 23 July 2013

The Boxer is a newly renovated hotel that is very expensive boutique style. The interior design is hobo chic and not my taste. It is does not look like a luxury hotel, but the price feels like it should look more upscale. There are pros and cons to this hotel. The pros are location, and location. It is only a block from TD Garden and close to major tourist sights in downtown Boston. Now for the cons: !) I saw online that you get discount if you attend event at TD Garden, however, I could not find the button to select online and the receptionist indicated that she didn't know anything about a discount, 2) I arrived at hotel around 2:55pm and I was told that check-in wasn't until 3pm. So, I waited until around 3:35pm when a family arrived at the hotel and got a room right away. I stared intensely at the receptionist, so she gave me a room even though two guys walked up to her asked for their room, 3) I tried to call the manager who left note in room with her phone number that asked you to call her if you need her help. Guess what? She doesn't answer her phone and the voice mail box is full. Anyway, room was tiny, clean, and cool. The bathroom was beautiful. Never got discount nor did manager Emily return my calls. If Emily is reading this, hi finally glad to meet you. Oh, the restaurant information said that they close at midnight. I returned from TD Garden at 11:30pm ready for light fare. Guess what?? Restaurant closed before I got back to hotel. Also don't believe it when they say the hotel is just 3 miles from the airport. I don't know how they measure 3 miles (as the crow flys??). I had to pay $25 for taxi from airport. I thought that 3 miles should not cost me that much. Another surprise, the hotel is not 3 miles from airport and the taxi charges more by the time of day and if they go through tolls. Anyway the concert at TD Garden was wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Bieber Babe,

It is very nice to meet you as well. I certainly am sad that I did not receive notification of your call or any message to call you so that we could have spoken while you were in Boston.

Thank you for the compliments regarding the LOCATION of The Boxer, as well as the new urban chic décor. I agree, the bathrooms are beautiful with the custom marble counter tops and unique design details.

Promotions for TD Garden events are often specific packages and need to be booked through the location you see the promotion. This is a typical business packaging method so that can offer unique and exclusive opportunities through our business collaborations. It is not necessarily a "discount" because we are a brand new product and do not typically just discount our pricing. But it may have included some other nice features that you could book through the venue you were looking at.

Our restaurant, finch, will be serving room service 24 hours starting mid-August. If you come back to visit, we welcome you to utilize this service. And we are located 3.8 miles from Logan Airport.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally with any further questions or concerns.