“Our third stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Boxer Boston

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bergtheim
“Our third stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

August, 18th - 21st

Me and my family have already stayed at the hotel when it was still "The Bulfinch". This year we made the reservation through our travel agent when it was still under the same name and then were informed that the name and the company have changed so I was very curious and also a little insecure.
We have made a reservation for a certain room in advance as we know this room but I really did not expect to actually get the room because this is what happens to me all the time in Europe.
But to my suprise it was really reserved for us and we got the keys from the very friendly and helpful staff at the reception. Sadly - when we entered our room we had to find out that there was a misunderstanding with the cleaning personnel and so the room was not yet cleaned.
But instead of making us wait we got an upgrade to th upper floor! This room was wonderful! We had a stunning view and could see the golden dome of the Massachusetts State House right from our bed. The room was also a little bigger than the other one and had a second window. I especially appreciate the way the problem was handled!
It is true that the rooms are small but it is an old building and you do not stay much inside. However, they are finely renovated and the bathrooms are very clean and the shower spacious. I liked the king-size beds. As I normally often have problems with my back I know what I'm talking of... In the room are also a refrigerator, mini bar and a safe. There is a little desk and a coffee machine. You can also use the WLAN which is standard to most hotels I think.
We did not try dining or room service but when a light bulb was broken somebody exchanged it within no time.
Some things that could be improved - in my opinion - are:
- lighting in the bathroom (women usually like more light when getting ready)
- lighter paint on the walls as the windows are also small (but this would be against the color concept of the hotel)
- more lights in the "hall" of the rooms but I think this depends of what room you are in
- a big mirror to check yourself before going out :-)
- some kind of closet for more than three pieces of clothes

Nevertheless - for me - the position of the hotel, its cleanliness and the people working there are unbeatable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sand-mich
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear SandMich,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! It's truly wonderful to hear that even though there were a few glitches, we were able to recover quickly and efficiently! We look forward to seeing you on your fourth stay - thank you again for your loyalty!

Best,
Vanessa Vitale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barre, Vermont, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at the Bullfinch last year and decided to stay again. The name is now The Boxer and it has undergone a large remodel. The rooms are small, but the furnishings really work. I like the promixity to the North End for a great meal and I cannot say enough about how quiet it was. We were on the 2nd floor and I heard no traffic, no neighbors, no one upstairs. It was wonderful! The only drawback was the lack of staff, both at the front desk for check out, and in Finch during breakfast. The food was great, but only one person working the whole place-crazy!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sonya S
Emily A, Assistant General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
Dear Sonya S,

Thank you so much for your feedback; we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the recent renovation. Additionally, we appreciate it when we are able to get feedback and make internal alterations to provide the seamless service our guests are accustomed to.

We look forward to seeing you again soon for a quiet getaway!

Best,
Vanessa Vitale
Assistant General Manager
The Boxer Boston/ Finch
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in many places in Boston and this is my favourite so far. It is boutique not high luxury.

The room is not huge but well done. I think for 2 people for a long weekend would be good but a week would be too much. The sport Center is 3 machines but mostly empty.

best thing is the comfortable bar and restaurant. Sadly under used by locals and guests but the staff are friendly and as a business traveller I find it a nice space that makes me feel at home. Or at least if I had enough space and money to build a cocktail bar and hire the staff, this is what I would like ;-)

The local area is a bit empty as it government buildings, hospitals and a ports stadium. But it is very close to downtown in a taxi, 20 min walk or underground by 3 stops. Close enough without the downtown hassle every time you step out

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Philip,

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit with us and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant, Finch. The word is out, and the restaurant has been getting well patronized. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The people at the front desk were exceptional. They were helpful with leading us in the right directions all over Boston.
The downfall is the furniture in the room. It takes up too much space and it is difficult to move around in the room.
I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your kind comments about the front desk team at The Boxer. We look forward to your next visit with us. Please feel free to reach out to us directly for your next reservation; it sounds like you may find yourself more comfortable in a more spacious guest room and we would love to ensure this is what is reserved for you.

New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

You can add a lot of bells and whistles to a hotel but the main point is to make visitors feel safe and comfortable inside their rooms--and to allow them to get a good night's sleep so they can do whatever they were planning to do the next day. No matter what fancy marketing tricks the Boxer pulls ("rebranding" the hotel, having Emily respond to each TripAdvisor review, a pretty website), it fails at that. Prepare to hear everything that goes on in the hallway. The elevator opening, a conversation in the hallway (as if you were in the same room), a door slamming, the elevator opening again, another conversation in the hallway (this time louder because they're drunk), another door slamming, repeat ad nauseam until you decide to take a strong sleeping pill. As another reviewer mentioned, the soundproofing is atrocious. But hey, if you're feeling a bit lonely, perhaps the conversations in the hallway will cheer you up.

The minifridge is hidden within the nightstand which is right next to the bed. Cool design, the only problem is that the minifridge starts buzzing and huffing (as a fridge does) right into your ear late at night.

The morning was even worse. The night before I inputted, on the automated system, a wakeup time of 6:45 AM. It was read back and confirmed to me. The next morning I get a wakeup call at 6:15 AM. Why, I ask the receptionist? "Oh, someone must of put it in wrong. I'll speak to him about that."

On the positive side, the rooms look nice and the cleaning seems to do a good job.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank EW85
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear EW,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your visit with us, as well as the positive comments about room cleanliness, and new website.

We are quite dedicated improving and enhancing each detail of service we offer and I truly apologize for the lag in your wake up call in the morning, as well as the difficulty you had sleeping from the hotel sounds.

We do hope you are able to join us again soon. If you are able to reach out to us prior to your stay, we would be very happy to place you in a higher room, away from the elevator and traffic sounds.

bmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I went to the boxer to get a few days away from the stress of life. Emily Antonelli (the manager) mad sure that I received everything that I needed to have a relaxing and enjoyable break from reality. Thanks Emily. I will be back very soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Hello Kyle,

Thank you so much for your compliments. We are thrilled that the entire Boxer team was able to provide you such a reprise from the stresses of the everyday. We cannot wait for your next visit with us.

Hicksville, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

Great Hotel, Great Experience. Staff is very nice and helpful. Would absolutely stay again You are so close you can walk to most of the hot places to go in Boston. The girl at the front desk welcomed us and helped us to book tours. Really a nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Angela,

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are thrilled you enjoyed the attentive care while at The Boxer. We have access to so many excellent city tours and are glad to hear you took advantage of this convenience. We look forward to your next visit.