The Boxer Boston
Agoda.com
US$340
US$314
1,160 results
All reviewstd gardenthe north endfront deskboutique hotelfaneuil hallbruins gamerooms are smallgreat boutiquequincy marketwalking distancebeacon hillvalet parkingminute walkbed was comfortableking roomfreedom trailwould definitely stay here again
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The title of my review highlights what I expect from a hotel when I travel: cleanliness and quiet are imperative, and The Boxer did not fail us. In fact, it exceeded some of the more popular "corporate" hotels in both categories. Likewise for how comfortable our room was. Most hotel mattresses leave my back stiff and achey, but the king-sized bed was the most comfortable we'd experienced in a long time, and the king-sized pillows were soft (as compared to the usual bulky masses that leave my neck stiff in the morning). The hotel itself is a convenient walk to the T as well as to Fanueil Hall and the North End. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. For a "boutique hotel," The Boxer exceeded my expectations; I knew it would be charming, but was so pleasantly surprised by our experience. Our room had a Keurig coffee maker, and I must mention the complimentary Wifi -- most hotels charge quite a bit for this luxury! Many of the reviews of this hotel whine about how small the rooms are. We didn't vacation in Boston just to sit around in a hotel room! For us, the size was irrelevant as it met all of our needs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank angryfireElf
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Thank you so much for your great review- we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We just stayed a weekend at The Boxer in order to go to a Red Sox game. The décor was well done and the rooms small but efficient. The room was quiet and the only noise I heard was from people in the hall---no noise of flushing toilets, showers running, street noise, or sounds from other rooms. When I arrived the booking computer system was down----the whole system for all hotels---and therefore there was a delay in getting checked in. I have to compliment Stanley, the one staff person who seemed, throughout our stay, to have the concept of always make the customer happy and he got us free drinks. He seemed to be everywhere during the weekend. Aside from him staffing seemed somewhat inconsistent----very pleasant people and others who did not seem to care. One complaint I had was getting the room temperature set. There were no extra blankets which would have made it easier.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank shirleyvt2
Reviewed 12 September 2013

August, 18th - 21st

Me and my family have already stayed at the hotel when it was still "The Bulfinch". This year we made the reservation through our travel agent when it was still under the same name and then were informed that the name and the company have changed so I was very curious and also a little insecure.
We have made a reservation for a certain room in advance as we know this room but I really did not expect to actually get the room because this is what happens to me all the time in Europe.
But to my suprise it was really reserved for us and we got the keys from the very friendly and helpful staff at the reception. Sadly - when we entered our room we had to find out that there was a misunderstanding with the cleaning personnel and so the room was not yet cleaned.
But instead of making us wait we got an upgrade to th upper floor! This room was wonderful! We had a stunning view and could see the golden dome of the Massachusetts State House right from our bed. The room was also a little bigger than the other one and had a second window. I especially appreciate the way the problem was handled!
It is true that the rooms are small but it is an old building and you do not stay much inside. However, they are finely renovated and the bathrooms are very clean and the shower spacious. I liked the king-size beds. As I normally often have problems with my back I know what I'm talking of... In the room are also a refrigerator, mini bar and a safe. There is a little desk and a coffee machine. You can also use the WLAN which is standard to most hotels I think.
We did not try dining or room service but when a light bulb was broken somebody exchanged it within no time.
Some things that could be improved - in my opinion - are:
- lighting in the bathroom (women usually like more light when getting ready)
- lighter paint on the walls as the windows are also small (but this would be against the color concept of the hotel)
- more lights in the "hall" of the rooms but I think this depends of what room you are in
- a big mirror to check yourself before going out :-)
- some kind of closet for more than three pieces of clothes

Nevertheless - for me - the position of the hotel, its cleanliness and the people working there are unbeatable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sand-mich

Dear SandMich,

Thank you so much for your amazing review! It's truly wonderful to hear that even though there were a few glitches, we were able to recover quickly and efficiently! We look forward to seeing you on your fourth stay - thank you again for your loyalty!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at the Bullfinch last year and decided to stay again. The name is now The Boxer and it has undergone a large remodel. The rooms are small, but the furnishings really work. I like the promixity to the North End for a great meal and I cannot say enough about how quiet it was. We were on the 2nd floor and I heard no traffic, no neighbors, no one upstairs. It was wonderful! The only drawback was the lack of staff, both at the front desk for check out, and in Finch during breakfast. The food was great, but only one person working the whole place-crazy!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonya S
Emily A, Assistant General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Sonya S,

Thank you so much for your feedback; we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the recent renovation. Additionally, we appreciate it when we are able to get feedback and make internal alterations to provide the seamless service our guests are accustomed to.

We look forward to seeing you again soon for a quiet getaway!

Assistant General Manager
The Boxer Boston/ Finch

Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have stayed in many places in Boston and this is my favourite so far. It is boutique not high luxury.

The room is not huge but well done. I think for 2 people for a long weekend would be good but a week would be too much. The sport Center is 3 machines but mostly empty.

best thing is the comfortable bar and restaurant. Sadly under used by locals and guests but the staff are friendly and as a business traveller I find it a nice space that makes me feel at home. Or at least if I had enough space and money to build a cocktail bar and hire the staff, this is what I would like ;-)

The local area is a bit empty as it government buildings, hospitals and a ports stadium. But it is very close to downtown in a taxi, 20 min walk or underground by 3 stops. Close enough without the downtown hassle every time you step out

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Emily A, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Philip,

We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit with us and that you were able to enjoy our restaurant, Finch. The word is out, and the restaurant has been getting well patronized. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boston.

Warmly,