“Lovely hotel but could be even better.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California
“Lovely hotel but could be even better.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The Boxer is a lovely boutique hotel. There are more positives than there are issues, so I would definitely recommend staying here. I stayed four nights in all. The positives are:

1) Stylish decor. The renovations are fresh, hip, yet comfortable. The professional photos of the hotel are true to life.
2) Good location. It's very close to TD Gardens and close enough to the North End and Beacon Hill to walk.
3) Great front desk staff. Friendly, courteous, and happy to to help.
4) Housekeeping did an amazing job. Very clean.

The negatives are:
1) Very little soundproofing. I was in the handicap accessible room near the elevator. The elevators are quiet, but the other guests of the hotel can be clearly heard from inside the room. These guests weren't being rude. They were using their normal indoor voices. I woke up a few times a night from these conversations. When I mentioned the noise, the front desk offered to move me to another room. The room that they offered was much smaller with a postage sized bathroom. The noise wasn't so much of an issue as the hotel emptied during the week.
2) Room service. I ordered fries and the lobster mac and cheese. The fries didn't arrive with the sauces that were noted on the menu. There was plastic in my tepid mac and cheese. And they forgot the untilsils. As such, I wasn't impressed with the room service. They could try a bit harder in this arena.

If it weren't for those two things, I would have rated the hotel a 5 out of 5.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Javier E, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thanks for the review! I like to hear about the positives but do welcome the negatives. I appreciate you holding us accountable. We're here to provide a positive memorable experience. I'm disappointed to hear it was soured by noise from outside your room and lack of attention to detail on the room service order. Completely unacceptable. I will address these concerns with our Chief Engineer and Executive Chef. We have discussed additional soundproofing around the doors in high traffic areas. We look to have this installed within the next week. Regarding Room Service - no excuses. We should have delivered the order as advertised. We'll make the adjustments in service immediately to ensure none of our guests have this same experience in the future. Thanks again for the review and details. We look forward to having you as our guest in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were very pleased with this small hotel (80 rooms). We were a little worried because the larger well-know hotels were a lot more expensive. This old building has been redone and is in great shape. The decor is modern eclectic and very well done. The service was good, the small bar/restaurant adjacent to the small lobby was perfect for cocktails and breakfast. We were able to walk to many places we wanted to go and there were plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: We had room 310 which is in an irregularly shaped corner. It was plenty large with 3 big windows and...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the outstanding review! We appreciate the positive feedback. We worked very hard on our recent renovation. Our goal is to be the best hotel in Boston and our product is well designed to hep us get there. Service levels get better everyday. Before you know it we'll be in those same conversations when discussing the 'larger well-known' hotels. Not so much for our size but for our service. We look forward to having you back as our guest in the near future!
Wildwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

MAN...HOW REFRESHING! We were greeted with instant smiles when we checked in. Being from out of town....we needed lots of guidance and the front desk...primarily a woman by the name of Serena...energetic, bubbly little one....walked us through everything. ANYTHING she didnt know, she promptly looked up for us. I had asked her to add flowers to the room and have champagne waiting as a surprise for my hubby when we came back to check in....IT WAS GORGEOUS....FLOWER PETALS EVERYWHERE! The room was not overly large, but the ONLY time we were in the room was to sleep and shower...so that didnt bother us at all. We had a great view on the 9th floor and it was perfectly close to everything we needed and near the north station "T"....DUNKIN DONUTS, etc.

ONLLLLLLY negative thing I could say was that the hotel was no where near any place to get food delivered after a night out on the town. Other then walking to 7-11, CVS or dunkin donuts.

The room was clean, bed was great, nice and cool, smelt great (no smokey smell)...when we called for a hairdryer it was brought up in moments. We were even gifted with a 50.00 bottle of champagne because the one they brought up at first was wrong (so not necessary...but so so appreciated). We were just very pleased and LOVED that we were addressed by our names and they WANTED to talk to us or help us in any way...it was just an overall pleasant and refreshing experience.
<3 <3 <3

Room Tip: request top floor..9th...over looking the building from the Departed.
Green Features: top notch all around, super cleanly, no smell of chemicals
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Javier E, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thanks so much for the outstanding review! We're truly pleased to have made such a great impression during this special time in your life. We're in the business of creating memorable experiences and it sounds like we accomplished that during your visit. I also appreciate the great comments about Serena and our service. She's an asset to our operation and I plan to share this review with the entire team so she is recognized for her efforts. On a side note, the hotel will soon launch 24 hour Room Service for our guests. There is no need to order out when you can get a fantastic meal from Finch delivered right to your room at any time of the day or night! :) We look forward to having you back as our guest!
Denia, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We booked a king size deluxe room , this it was not , although it had a king size bed the rest of the room was very small , we were unable to unpack as there was no wardrobe only a very small hanging rail for six /eight garments, having traveled for the last four weeks we were very disappointed in the quality of this hotel . This hotel has been revamped the glossary is very good but the rest is impractical. The only thing in its favour is the location to downtown Boston.

1 Thank allen r
Thanks for taking the time to write about your experience. I'm disappointed we weren't able to meet your expectations. Due to the hotel's unique triangular shape there are some rooms that may be smaller than others. We typically will look at the arrivals for the day and willingly upgrade guests at no charge to larger rooms when we notice they are staying longer that 3 or 4 days. We always try to proactively preassign rooms so it makes sense for our guests. Naturally there are times where this is not possible. What I can assure is that you will never experience this again at our hotel. I truly hope you give us another opportunity to turn your perception around. Please feel free to reach out to me directly so I can personally arrange your next visit. I will preassign a room I know you will be very pleased with and I'd be happy to outfit the room with extra luggage racks and hangers. Feedback is all we need to make things better not just for you but future guests as well. Thanks again for the details and I hope to see you soon in Boston.
Clarkston, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

The lobby was small. Check in was friendly and efficient. We asked for and recieved an upgrade to the 9th floor. The staff greeted us by name during our 3 day stay. The room was right next to the elevator but we never heard any noise (the hotel was sold out). The room was small. The bed was comfortable but lacked up scale bedding. There was a double sheeted blanket, not a comforter. Pillows were foam. This is probably why this is not a 4 star property. The lighting is terrible although there are several lamps and sconces. There are multiple outlets, including 2 on each nightstand, very convenient for charging. There is no closet, just a free standing unit with a drawer and a rod for hanging clothing. This unit also houses the ironing board, keurig coffee maker and ice bucket. It partially blocked the window. There was a similiar unit on the other side of the window serving as a desk. It is an efficient use of the small space. The bathroom was huge with a window which provided natural light which was nice because the lighting in there was awful . There was no storage space and no towel racks. Towels were stacked on the counter next to the smallest sink I have ever seen. The lack of storage and counter space was baffling since the room was so large. The windows in the room did not open. The room cooled adequately. There is a bar and a restaurant off the lobby. The bartender was indifferent. All of the other staff went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. This is an old renovated building. Expect small, functional rooms. We chose this property because of its location. Close to Beacon Hill and the North End. I would certainly stay here again. I was not disappointed.

1 Thank klenc
Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed review. This is the feedback we need to get better at what we do. We hear you loud and clear regarding the lighting and lack of comforters. Unfortunately designers tend to lean towards presentation rather than actual guest comfort. We are in the process of changing out the light bulbs in all rooms for energy efficient higher wattage bulbs and we are expecting a delivery of comforters for all the rooms any day now. Regarding the service in the bar, unacceptable. We will follow up with the Executive Chef to ensure we always go out of our way to make our guests happy. I'm pleased to hear you will join us again. We look forward to your next visit and I'm confident you will be pleased with the additions and adjustments made in the room. We'll see you soon!
Newburyport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My friend and I stayed for one night...cannot say anything bad about this hotel ....from the staff to the decor to the very comfortable bed ....top marks !!
Our room was rather large with good views
Very modern and European feeling
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to visit Boston for business or pleasure
Also very easy access to Faneuil Hall and the waterfront
I will defiantly be back .

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for the exceptional review! :) Thanks for noticing our efforts. Service is our #1 priority. We look forward to having you back our guest soon!
jackson, wy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed at the Boxer for 3 nights and had a pleasant experience. The room was clean, bed really comfortable. The room wasn't large, but sufficient and well organized. We were next to the elevator but the noise wasn't an issue. My only negative comment is the fitness room is TINY and didn't have a mat or soft floor area to do anything like situps. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you so much for your great review- we look forward to seeing you again!

Best,