“There are better hotels in Boston”
Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We were attracted to this hotel because of the price and the look of it, very modern and new. The hotel was fine, the gym was terrible, no cable on the tv just one sports channel. The rooms are tiny and very dark, everything is painted dark colours. It is good for sleeping, but you don't feel very relaxed in your hotel room. It just feels small and dark. All of the staff seem very new, most of them are very nice, but not helpful. It's like they are all still in training. We were woken up every morning to the cleaners either smashing their carts against the walls in the hallway or the sound of the door to the stairs slamming - the cleaners would use the stairs a lot. They also had very loud conversations in the hallway, as if they didn't realize that people were sleeping at 7:30 am.

The restaurant was overpriced for what you get. The food is very basic, nothing special at all. The restaurant was always understaffed when we went, so we waited a long time for service. The location is fine, I would have rather been closer to the back bay area, but it was still within walking distance to most things.

I would not stay here again. Spend $50 more per night and opt for a nicer hotel for a better experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor for less street noise, there is a busy street out front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Nictuc,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to read that your stay did not exceed your expectations- something that we strive for during every guest stay. Know that I have brought these issues to the attention of the entire Boxer team so that we can ensure issues of this nature do not reoccur. I am sending you my direct contact information and would be happy to have you join us again the next time you are in Boston!

Vanessa

Write a ReviewReviews (1,099)

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Very nice hotel. Looks (and it is) modern and clean. Staff is wonderful, they do take care of the guests and try to make the stay as good as possible. I've just been in contact with them (after more than two months) regarding an invoice I needed and they are still great :D.
It's well located, with easy and quick access by car and walking distance from downtown. And there are lot of places for breakfast and/or dinner/lunch in the surroundings (if you want to leave the hotel for your meals).
The only drawback is that most of the rooms are a little small. I didn't really mind, but it's a fact.
The Bar/Restaurant is quiet and serves good food.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank eltanocuervo
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Eltanocuervo

Greetings to Argentina! Albeit my concern regarding your invoice- which I am contacting you directly regarding- I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed our service and our accommodations! Thank you kindly for your feedback and join us again on your next excursion through the Northeast!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The Boxer was a great little boutique hotel. Room was a bit small, but honestly, didn't seem to be a problem. Very comfortable beds, clean, location was awesome! 10 minute walk to Fanieul Hall, North End and the T. Food in the hotel was very good, but selection was a bit limited. Hotel staff was very friendly and efficient. Check in and out was quick. View was not so great, but that's something you need to check into when looking for a hotel. Overall, experience was great and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sally Y

Dear Sally Y

Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you enjoyed The Boxer and Boston and certainly hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

We took a group of high school kids to Boston for a trip recently and booked the Boxer. The Boxer welcomed us and took care of all of the needs of a large group with ease. The manager, Kathleen, is one of the best hotel managers we've ever worked with. She really went out of her way to help. The rooms are small and cozy. The Boxer was recently renovated and under new ownership. Everything was clean and welcoming.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David C
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear DavidC,

Awesome indeed! The group was so fun to host and I certainly hope we get to see you soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Check in was efficient by 2 young ladies at desk. We got a king guestroom (906) which overlooked Merrimac Street (front of the building). Room was quite small, European style, modern/functional furniture, excellent bed and pillows, excellent linens, good lights (ceiling and good directional light on desk and one each on bed tables. Flat screen LCD TV angled toward bed from wall over desk/luggage area. Ironing board/iron present. Windows did not open and had white sunscreen (not lightproof so bring a sleeping mask or ask for room at back of hotel if you do not want sun.) It was very cold out, but very delightful temp in our room without the heat on. Bathroom was sized for one, very efficient layout and fixtues, very neat. Everything meticulously clean. We had a drink at the little bar and visited the restrooms in the basement which were modern, very well done and spotless. The gym looked very nice - everything spotless including hallways/floors/stairwells. In an excellent location near the West End near Govt. Center and MGH and steps from the Garden. Our room would have been cramped for 2 large people or those who were not intimate - perhaps ask for a larger room. No room for sitting around in the room, but the good price, hotel cleanliness, modernity of the interior/furnishing and very good location make it a good value.

Room Tip: Rooms can be small so if you need a larger sized room, be sure to ask for one. Front of building ge...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lollywell

Dear LT2013,

Thank you for your kind words! It was a delight to have you join us and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I visited the completely renovated Boxer hotel in Nov 2013. The hotel is charming and rooms are spotless and nicely decorated. The location is excellent - West End - a short walk to Quincy Market and the waterfront area. The staff is beyond helpful - looking after every detail with a smile.
I strongly recommend this hotel - my only fear is that once people discover it, they won't have any space left for me the next time I visit Boston!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FHain
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear FHain,

There is nothing better than receiving a raving review such as yours! It was a pleasure having you visit us from so far away and we look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at the Boxer in Boston on a very quick trip though New England. I only stayed one night but I was very impressed by the staff of this hotel.
Pros:
Very friendly and helpful staff. They were personable as well as interested in anything we wanted or questions we asked from the vallet to the cleaning staff as well as the front desk.
Location!! This hotel is in walking distance of most of the city center interests. It also is very close to the subway as well as lots of taxis. No trouble getting around at all.
Historical- I've forgotten the age of the building but it was an interesting triangle shape and I believe about 100 years old.
Cons: Really the only complaint I can imagine is the price was high for a smallish room. Saying that, it is in the center of Boston in a historical building. It was very comparable to other center city hotels I've stayed in in Portland OR and the likes. Really it had more amenities than most I've stayed in.
All in all I was very impressed with this hotel.

Room Tip: We asked the staff for the most scenic rooms. They suggested higher floors.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank acrossvet
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Acrossvet,

We pride ourselves on having a great service experience and are so pleased that we were able to make your stay a memorable one! Thank you so much for taking the time to share with others your experience and hopefully next time we can have you join us longer!