“The Boxer”

Orange, California
“The Boxer”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Fellow Travelers,

I recently had the need for a last minute business trip to a favorite city of mine, Boston, MA, Using Expedia I ended up choosing an unknown property ti me, namely the Boxer as my first choices were unavailable and this hotel, while new to me was in a perfect location, and, at least on the web looked like a "cool" boutique" hotel.

Anyway, I was quote pleased with my selection and would have given the Boxer a higher rating but minor nuances such as only one elevator and albeit a new refurbishment (clearly done on the cheap and already showing wear and tear) and the fact that the restaurant and bar within was closed during lunch hours make this (my opinion) a 3 star hotel at best.

That said the service was great and the hotel / room was clean and inviting ... so really no complaints.

Doddsy

2 Thank steve d
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear SteveD,

Thank you for your review! I appreciate your comments and feedback regarding the amenities of the Hotel and certainly hope you enjoyed the impeccable service we provide at the Boxer.1

Vanessa Vitale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel rooms are beautiful and very comfortable but the service at check in and so on was ok and at points frustrating. Everyone was very nice however I stood at the front desk trying to check in for ten min, valet was not nearby and I waited again for ten min finally I had to go find someone myself again because there was no one at the front desk to help me with the valet problem, in addition while I was trying to check in another employee walked up and started chatting with the front desk girl again leaving me waiting so honestly my check in was very frustrating. But the beauty of the room and great location made up for that the bad service and I guess in there defense it was a busy weekend. In addition valet is 44 a night so it is quiet expensive more so then my stay in time square New York which I find a little ridiculous but Anyways I would stay here again asking as the service improves

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear VersaceT,

I am so sorry to hear that your service experience did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our high level of guest service, especially at check in as this is when we want to introduce you to our beautiful city and neighborhood. Thank you for your feedback.

Manchester
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

We previously stayed at "the Bulfinch" a couple times to see games at The Garden. We booked a night at The Boxer to do the same. Completely different look, modern feel, loved the decor!
The staff were amazing, friendly, and we bought a TD a Garden Package which allowed us a complimentary drink each.
Love the location of the hotel and how everything we planned to do was in walking distance!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LordDoyle8
Dear LordDoyle8,

Thank you so much for your review! And so glad to hear that you love the new décor- and the service! We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Boston, we have the TD Garden package open whenever there is an event so feel free to partake anytime.

Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We saw the Avett Bros at the Garden recently and, rather than dealing with traffics, we grabbed a room at the Boxer for the night. Though the room was tiny, it was well appointed and the bed was comfortable. Everything was clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. For us, a decent place to crash for the night after the concert was the primary concern but we were very pleased to find a really decent restaurant in the place (Finch) that served up a perfect strip steak and a great burger - all at a really reasonable price. We paid sixty bucks for the dinners, two desserts, two drinks and two cappuccinos which is pretty amazing considering the location. Our servers name was Victor and he was a pro with plenty of experience and a good attitude. We tipped him well!
All in all, it's a great, relatively low-cost hotel two minutes walking time from the Garden and about fifty pubs. We'd go back.

Room Tip: Ask for the biggest room available. I conked my head on the window frame just getting out of bed.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heidi T
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Heidi T,

So glad you were able to be a stone's throw away from the Garden and enjoy our reinvented menu at finch of classics with a twist! Next time you are in town for a concert or game, we would love to have you rejoin us either at the Hotel or finch restaurant!

Oakland, California
Reviewed 8 March 2014

If you like European hotels (i.e. small but unusual and cleverly designed rooms), then The Boxer is your kind of room. The front desk staff is extremely helpful. It's also very convenient for TD Bank Garden if you are attending a game or concert. Public transit is also easily accessible. We visited for my wife's birthday in January 2014, and I believe we will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gary Carr,

Thank you! Though we are very proud of our nostalgic cool design and atmosphere, it is such a compliment to say the we have a "European" feel to our hotel. Boston is a city rooted in history and we celebrate our city; and its European heritage! Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights beginning of March 2014 and had a great experience.

I needed a power adapter for my laptop on the first morning and the two girls on reception were exceptionally helpful in finding me a store closeby where I could buy one, they even called them for me to make sure the store was open and printed directions for me! That's service!

Ate in The Finch in the hotel and enjoyed it very much and the proximity to TD Garden is a big bonus, I saw the Boston Bruins play at home during this stay.

All in all just great and it's got free wifi as well.

The only gripe I have is the bed was a little big for the room and the base of the bed jutted out past the mattress so every time I constantly bashed my shin on the corner of the base.

1 Thank Dav M
Dear Dav M,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad to hear that our service exceeded your expectations and that your experience in our restaurant, finch, was to your liking! Know that we are working on a solution for our custom made platform beds- I appreciate the candid feedback!

Westmount, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I like the design of the bedrooms. Modern, but with nice oldish-looking wooden furniture. It feels a bit like in a cartoon from the 30's. Good atmosphere. And since I've been there for one night and I was really tired, I enjoyed sleeping in the large, comfortable bed in a not-too-noisy bedroom. The receptionists were very friendly.

Disappointments: no food after 9pm; the waiters in the bar not paying very much attention to clients (for sure when sending messages on the phone it is difficult to see clients waiting for the bill) and when I came back to pick up my luggage I had left for a couple of hours: they brought someone else's luggage though I gave my ticket with the number on it... Also, there is only one lift and the waiting time was too long.

Dear Jean-Christophe L,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you had a less than desirable restaurant experience, this is certainly not the level of attention to our service culture that we want to portray. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention and know it will be rectified immediately! We look forward to seeing you again in Boston if you have a chance to visit. Thank you!