1,235 results
All reviewstd gardenthe north endfront deskboutique hotelfaneuil hallbruins gamegreat boutiquerooms are smallquincy marketwithin walking distancebeacon hillvalet parkingminute walkbed was comfortablefreedom trailking roomwould definitely stay here again
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've stayed at The Boxer several times when traveling to Boston on business. It's in a great location -- a couple of blocks from TD Garden, an easy 10 minute walk to the North End, and very close to a T station for everything else. The rooms aren't huge but adequate. I've never slept on a more comfortable bed while traveling; I'm not sure what it is but every time I stay there I sleep like a rock. The staff has always been super helpful as well. I've only ordered room service once but the food was delicious, very timely, and reasonably priced. The only downside to this hotel is that there is only one elevator for the entire building which can mean some long waits at times.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear JD R,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have some discomfort dumping too much on The Boxer for a couple reasons. For one thing I only saw the one room I occupied so I don't know how typical it was, particularly since it was a handicapped-accessible room. For another I got a very good price by bidding on Priceline without actually knowing which hotel I would get (although given the location and the number of stars it was pretty much a sure thing The Boxer would be the one if anyone accepted by bid). Had I paid full price or anywhere near it for my room I would have been livid and my rating would have been dramatically lower.

Nonetheless, from my perspective this place failed to meet the 4-star rating it had. Starting with the simple stuff, the location, while not far from Beacon Hill, really isn't on Beacon Hill. It faces the currently inaccessible facade of the JFK Health Services building, a brutalist monument built in the 60s or 70s that is not the finest piece of architecture that any of the multiple government entities in Central Boston has built. You can walk to the back side of Beacon Hill in about 6 or 7 minutes and make it to the side facing Boston Common in about 10-12.

They advertise and promote Valet Parking (to the tune of $44 per night) which is not out of line with the pricing of valet service at other hotels in the center of town. What is out of line is that the service is only available from 7:00 AM until 11:00PM so if you have a late dinner or theater, which in this area is highly likely, you are out of luck. Not only are they unavailable during 1/3 of the day but they are hardly prompt in retrieving your vehicle when they are working. I waited 25 minutes for my car at 9:30 in the morning (no one was ahead of me either) and the desk attendant told me that was actually pretty fast. When the valet finally brought the car he was afraid to parallel park it in the very large available spot at the curb so with other drivers honking for him to get out of the lane he was blocking, I had to insist that he park near the curb. The best he could do was about 4 feet from curbside so getting in on the driver's side was pretty exciting given the amount of traffic whizzing by.

I had called prior to my visit and talked with someone self-described as an assistant manager who told me check in was at 2:00 so I scheduled my arrival to be close to that time. When I got there they told me the room wouldn't be ready until 3:00 (and the desk person who informed me of this and wouldn't check me in was actually very curt to the point of being rude). They offered no suggestion other than to leave my luggage, including shopping bags and clothing on hangers, in a pile in the tiny lobby area and to wait in their bar (and no doubt spend money on drinks to assuage my ruffled feathers).

When I did get to the room it was quite interesting. The design is fairly modern and, to me, very appealing. The room was very small though with no closet at all. The area for clothing storage is an open rack that sits in front of the window (so once you utilize it, you can't reach the mechanism that raises or lowers the blinds) and a single large drawer below it. This makes it very difficult to be tidy in this smallish room.

The bed was wonderful and I will say that I slept quite well although sound was a bit of an issue. I was on the 8th floor right next to the elevator so I heard every conversation of people getting on or off. . .and concluded that they could hear mine. This particular room, though, faces a parking area behind the hotel so what you lose in street view that most rooms have, you gain in night time quiet. I considered this a good trade.

The bathroom, although handicap-equipped was attractive and rather large compared to the room. The shower in these rooms will not keep the water in the shower itself since wheelchairs have to roll in and out. If you get one I would suggest you plan on a major mop up after showering. I was also somewhat disturbed to see many long fine strands of brown hair stuck to the shower walls the first time I used it. Since my hair is thick, short, and grey, I was pretty sure the housekeeping staff had failed to clean up the shower more than cursorily between guests.

I had a fairly late night the first night so you can imagine how displeased I was when the alarm went off at 6:00 in the morning. Since I had not set it, and didn't know how to work it in the dark, I just flailed at it until the alarm stopped. It came on again at 6:10 and again at 6:20 when I gave up and turned on the light to see how to shut the damned thing off. Note to self--check these things to make sure they are not activated. The housekeepers should do this but they don't.

I had to ask for towels more than once and when extras finally arrived, they weren't the bath towels I had requested. I found myself with one more bath mat and two hand towels, none of which had I asked for.

Finch, the bar/restaurant downstairs is modest in both size and offerings but is actually quite good. They have a very decent selection of beverages and a small but interesting menu. The kitchen closes early except on the weekends. . .another fact about which the people at the desk were oblivious. Nonetheless, I had a very nice dinner and enjoyed both cocktails and wine as well as the charming service of bartenders Aaron and Laura. On Wednesdays the wine list suddenly turns into a flat $6 per pour so you can try some of the comparatively pricey wines by the glass for a great price.

In the end I will say that most of the staff are earnest young people who probably just need more training in their jobs, but at this point, there were a lot of gaps in the service. If you don't mind the size of the room it is very comfortable. You will be looking at all your possessions but I had two good nights' sleep (albeit a little short the first morning courtesy of the alarm) in a central location in a truly great city.

Room Tip: 801 faced the rear so it was quiet. 8th and 9th floor rooms have larger windows. 801 was literally adjacent to the elevator so beware of conversations.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank pyrprshr

Dear pyrprshr,

Thank you for spending the time to relay your experience with the property. I am terribly sorry to hear that some situations failed to meet your expectations and know that we do our absolute best in accommodating all requests (early check in/room requests) and pride ourselves on our service staff who work very hard to continuously exceed the expectations of each individual staying at the hotel. I have absolutely addressed the housekeeping issue with the team and appreciate you bringing it to my attention.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights and was nothing short of impressed. The location was perfect for sight seeing and even the subway was nearby for the quick trip to the airport. Its an old building that has been brought to date in every way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rudder139

Dear Rudder139,

Thank you for staying at the Boxer! I am so happy to hear how impressed you were with our location and hotel design!

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I'll just start by saying how wonderful the staff was, friendly, accomodating and efficient. We stayed as part of a group of families with teens.
I found the rooms and decor clean and modern. Our room 203 was small, (but it is a boutique hotel in a historic building) but had cool bunkbeds!
The bathroom had unique provisions and quality towels.

This hotel is two blocks from TD Garden and a quick walk to markets, the harbour, and Boston Common.

Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank is1groovygal

Dear is1groovygal,

Thank you for your review! Having your group here was great- I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! We certainly pride ourselves on having outstanding service and I am thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Boxer in March. Wonderful boutique hotel. Hotel was clean and our room was very nice. Able to walk to most destinations and find our way around quite easily. Near TD Gardens and an excellent place to stay if you plan on attending an event there.
Great hotel, beautifully done, staff were fantastic.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kayla S
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Kayla,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time in Boston and at the Boxer (most importantly that our team members provided you with what you needed !)