“Nice hotel, but neighborhood could offer more restaurants.”
Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tulsa, OK
“Nice hotel, but neighborhood could offer more restaurants.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, nice style, typical smaller urban hotel rooms. I felt like there was a lack of restaurants in the immediate vicinity, but it wasn't really a problem. Staff was friendly. I think noise between rooms was a bit of an issue, though not for us.

• Stayed May 2014
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Markn99osu,

Thank you for your feedback! The West End is definitely adding to its restaurants in the vicinity and next time you join us, we look forward to introducing you to some of the more proximate restaurants. Thank you for staying at The Boxer!

Vanessa Vitale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We booked this hotel for a stay during a family graduation. Our flight to Boston was to say the least the worst we have ever experienced and I don't need to get into the logistics of it but when we arrived at the hotel the staff could not have been more accommodating and pleasant. The room was small but we did not plan on living in it so that was not an issue; more importantly it was clean and quiet. This is a new hotel and they are still working out the small issues but I look for this place to be around for some time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tummytamers
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear tummytamers,

What a graduation month! Boston fills up with Grads and families and it was lovely to accommodate yours. We were so happy to be able to accommodate your stay after a less than pleasant in bound travel experience and cater to your needs during your weekend here.

Thank you again for your review and we will see you soon!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The Boxer is located near a few T stops the TD Garden, and other convenient areas on the West Side of Boston. It has a friendly pub/restaurant downstairs with decent food and prices. Though the theme of the hotel is the Boxer dog and the hotel is "dog friendly," the rooms are more suitable for a chihuahua. Our room was quite tiny for two people, though well-appointed, with a flat-screen TV, walk in shower, fridge, safe, coffee machine, and more. The bed was a bit soft, but okay. The street wasn't noisy at night, but the rooms were probably divided at some point into smaller rooms, and we could hear every word our next-door neighbors uttered. This hotel is not for light sleepers. Another problem is that when I booked by phone, I was promised an email confirmation, which never arrived. I called the hotel twice, but no one picked up the phone. I emailed for an email confirmation--no one answered. When we actually got to the hotel, the staff was quite nice and efficient, though people who had booked via Travelocity found that their reservation could not be located, so they had to wait and wait at the front desk until it was sorted out. I was quite surprised that our reservation was there, but happy it was.

Dear Stockpacer,

Thank you for your candid review regarding your stay. Please accept my apologies for the issue that occurred with your reservation confirmation- you should have definitely received it! I am happy to hear that the in room amenities and accommodations met your expectations- being such an historic building it can be challenging to capitalize on our space and we designed it so that we could make sure to accommodate all of the amenities and keep the comfort but charm of an older structure.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you again soon,
New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the boxer this past weekend for 2 nights and was very pleased with the staff, cleanliness, and rooms. Rooms were a bit small but we knew this from looking at photos and seeing other reviews. Loved the modern design and decor. Bed was comfortable and we were able to put a small blow-up mattress on the floor for my 4-year old son. We ate at Finch for breakfast, food and waitress was good.

Restaurant is in a great location and walking distance to Faneuil Hall and the restaurants in the North End. Trains were a block away at North Station for visiting other parts of the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear AdlexD,

Happy belated Mother's Day! So happy to hear you had a chance to celebrate with us and that you had a great time. We look forward to hosting you again in our beautiful city.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was only here for one night but overall it was a nice and pleasant stay. The room set up is rather unique - no closets rather racks that you would hang your clothes and a couple of drawers. The room was clean, tidy and inviting. A warm feeling. The bed comfortable. I had room service which was quick and the food was good. I would wish for more of a selection of the room service menu but the restaurant is literally downstairs right behind the front/check in desk. I had a great stay and would stay again if ever in town.

Dear SincerelyM,

Thank you for your great review- I am glad to hear you had a comfortable stay and enjoyed your time in Boston. We look forward to seeing you again!

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Boxer is a nice hotel, however they definitely need some work. The staff were extremely nice and helpful, but beyond that, the stay was rather average.

The rooms are small. Looking at the emergency evacuation map on the back of the door, it looked like we had one of the smallest rooms available. They are rather modern, which is fine, but understand there will not be much room to move around in the room. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well during our stay. It is convenient to the TD Garden, 10 minute walk to the North End, Boston Common and close to the T to go to Fenway or other areas.

Housekeeping needs work. After our first day, dirty clothes, that were not ours, appeared in our room. When calling the front desk, they did not believe us. They came up and got the clothes and then apologized and said they would figure out what happened. We still do not know why those strange clothes showed up in our room. That same day, they took our wash clothes, but did not leave any clean ones. The next morning, we found a used condom on one of the steps in the stairwell. The third day, upon returning to the room, we found a ball of trash sitting on our bathroom sink and it was obvious the bathroom had not been wiped or cleaned at all. Had we not gotten a good deal on Hotwire, I would have been extremely upset with the hotel. Based on the deal we got, I would say the Boxer is an average hotel. Had we paid full price, the rating would be much worse.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced and know that they seem to have been occurrences far from indicative to the service and product that we provide our guests property. I have reached out to you personally and hope you will take me up on the offer to have you experience The Boxer again amidst different circumstances!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I've stayed at The Boxer several times when traveling to Boston on business. It's in a great location -- a couple of blocks from TD Garden, an easy 10 minute walk to the North End, and very close to a T station for everything else. The rooms aren't huge but adequate. I've never slept on a more comfortable bed while traveling; I'm not sure what it is but every time I stay there I sleep like a rock. The staff has always been super helpful as well. I've only ordered room service once but the food was delicious, very timely, and reasonably priced. The only downside to this hotel is that there is only one elevator for the entire building which can mean some long waits at times.

Dear JD R,

Thank you for your review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again in the near future!