“Nice hotel, noisy air con”
Review of The Boxer Boston

The Boxer Boston
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 1 September 2014

It's a nice and stylish hotel with friendly and helpful staff. Rooms are rather small and bathroom is tiny. The air con is very loed and without having it switched on it's getting to hot in the room. Excellent location for exploring the city and the Italian area of Boston.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at The Boxer for two nights. When booking the reviews were mixed and therefore we did not know exactly what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by our experience from the checking in to checking out. The hotel is located within minutes of North station and we were able to walk to the hotel with luggage without any problem. The lady who checked us in was polite and friendly and made us feel very welcome. We stayed in a king room which was great, plenty of space (don't agree with the other reviews which note their room being small), nicely furnished, comfortable bed, pillows and little extras such as a coffee maker and nice toiletries in the bathroom. We booked our train tickets back to New York and in the reception there is a computer with a printer and we were able to print off our tickets. On the second morning we had breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, the Finch which was lovely. Attentive and friendly waiter and decent food (ordered yoghurt and granola and the finch special). I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel, you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank allieboom
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2014

Thank you so much for your feedback! We pride ourselves on our excellent service and a great location- we are so glad you enjoyed your time. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a cool boutique hotel in Boston, Boxer is it. Service was impeccable from the front desk (Thanks Gabriel) all the way through room service. The bar is cool and laid back, great for a drink right after a long day at work. Tiffany was working the bar and was a perfect to chat with before we headed to sleep.

The rooms are a bit small, but typical of a boutique hotel. Our room was spotless and the decor was awesome. The bed was really comfortable and got us both a great nights sleep.

Breakfast in bed, get the lobster eggs Benedict, it was awesome!

Overall, really happy with out choice, will be back again soon. Thanks again to Gabriel for making sure we had everything we needed and providing impeccable service!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Adam S

Reviewed 24 August 2014

My family and I were planning a holiday in the US when my husband stumbled upon the Boxer's website. It looked like a great little boutique hotel with a personal feel. Having stayed in similarly branded hotels (eg the Ace) we decided to give the Boxer a try. We found the experience pretty disappointing & too expensive for what turned out to be just an average hotel with a nice logo. We booked a room for 4 people so the kids could stay with us. We were given a room on the top floor. The view was good (although there is not much to see in this part of Boston) but the deco was uninspired. The room was small and after a long flight from the UK and arriving late at night we were disappointed to find that the second bed had not been set up. When we called down to ask for this to be done we were told that we just had to pull it out, it would be made up. This was true but not something you want to be messing about with on the middle of the night. Worse was the fact that there was barely room to get past the bed to get to the bathroom and the bed had a very sharp edge. Both my daughter and I got badly scratched on it. We were not given enough towels initially & had to request more. The worst thing was that the room was noisy. I was kept awake all night with a headache by a horrible humming that seemed to be from an extractor fan. The following day we discovered it was machinery on the roof. After finally nodding off I was less than delighted to be woken at 6am by the room's alarm clock. Some kind of staff joke perhaps? When we complained about the noise we were given another room, although it was right by the ice machine, which was also extremely noisy. Fortunately by then I had bought some earplugs. I think the Boxer could be much better if somebody tried out each room to see what problems there were with them before letting guests use them. We didn't eat in the hotel but the coffee was poor and the tea was Liptons (so nothing more to be said on that). We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank BevRoad
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear BevRoad,

Thank you for your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that your experiences did not meet your expectations. I have contacted you directly regarding your experience and looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We were there for two nights for a family members surgery at Mass General. The front desk staff as well as the valet were absolutely wonderful. I had to wait for a ride after check out as I was the only one from out of state and the front desk brought me coffee while I waited. Bartender was wonderful.

Room Tip: The higher floors have great views. Room 510 was lovely
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank drewdrewbeee

Dear Drewdrewbeee,

Amazing feedback! We pride ourselves on our outstanding service and appreciate you noticing our hospitality! We look forward to welcoming you again to Boston- but hopefully for a different reason!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I have had two very poor experiences with the Boxer hotel but due to managements response to my original encounter decided to hold my judgement until now. I had not heard of the Boxer Hotel until November of 2013 when I received an e-mail from Groupon advising that there was a special on rooms at the Boxer. It seemed interesting and I dutifully checked Tripadvisor and read favorable reviews although the comments about the size of the rooms had me concerned. The offer gave you a choice of one of two rooms, the larger being a Deluxe King which sounded acceptable and I then checked dates of availability and since Valentines Day was available decided to give it a try. As required I paid for the room in full at time of purchase of the Groupon which was November of 2013. Two days before Valentines Day I called to confirm the reservation and was told the person who answered the telephone that they had a room for me (the smaller one) but could not provide me with the room I had already paid for back in November. I was told that a large group had booked a block of rooms a couple of months earlier and there was no availability. I expressed and stated that I not only booked my room back in November (earlier than the large group she was referring to) but that I had also paid for it in full at that time. I stated that at the time of my booking either I booked ahead of the large group, or the Boxer let me book and pay for a room knowing it did not have any availability in the category I booked. I further expressed my concern that no one called me to explain the problem but rather waited to tell me at time of check in when my options would have been much more limited forcing me to take the lesser room. My concern was responded to by an offer for a free bottle of wine at check in which I declined. It was clear that had I not called, I would not have been informed that the Boxer did not have a room in the category that I had paid for three months earlier, and with it being Valentines Day my choices would be limited. I advised the clerk that I was cancelling my reservation and immediately called Groupon and was refunded the money I spent on the room. I felt compelled to write to the hotel manager who responded very quickly. She was apologetic and offered a certificate for a free night stay in the same category of room that I had originally requested and paid for in November. I received the certificate as promised and decided I would use it when my wife and I celebrated our anniversary last week.

I booked a room for last Friday night and having had a bad experience before once again called to make sure it was available. I was told it was and my wife and I headed for Boston looking forward to the weekend. We arrived a little early and needed to check our bags while we waited for the room which was anticipated. We were heading out for lunch and started talking to someone I believe was a concierge. We explained we were up for our anniversary and she asked if we had dinner reservations. We said we did, but that we were possibly looking for something different. She suggested a restaurant and while we were there called but it was not open yet. She took my cell phone number and said she would call when they opened and call us to let us know if she was able to get a reservation. She never called and later was no where to be found. The hotel room was OK, but the so called Deluxe King was still small. There were potato chips from a prior occupant on the floor and during the night the toilet broke. The next morning as we were leaving I stopped by the front desk to advise the desk clerk of items we had used from the convenience tray / mini bar so that she could place them on the bill. She checked the items and advised what would be charged to my credit card in addition to the amount that was placed on hold when we checked in. While I was with her she also advised someone from housekeeping she was already billing me for the items and told her not to charge them when she cleaned the room. By the way the front desk staff and the valet/bellmen were the best feature of the hotel and were very attentive and helpful. Our car was brought around promptly and we left. The next day, as is my practice I checked my credit card balance on line and noted that the original amount placed on hold plus the extra amount for the items we used was listed as was a second charge for the items we used as well as a larger third charge that I still not know what it represented. I called and spoke with the clerk that checked me out of the room and explained the situation. She checked the charges and said it appeared that I had been charged twice for the items we used but the charge that I could not identify had been removed. She apologized and said she was going to issue a credit that would take two business days. I checked my account a couple of days later and the charged was still there as was a new hold on the account which coincidentally was the same amount I needed to pay in addition to the initial hold that was placed on the account. I called again and spoke with the same clerk I had been dealing with and in response to by request to remove the extra charge immediately advised now that it may take several more business days and that she had no explanation for the hold for the additional funds. She was very professional and seemed to want to help but could not offer any additional advise and said she would have me speak with someone from what I believe to be in management or accounting who once again apologized and said that it can take up to 72 hours post a credit and that she could not understand why there was still a hold on funds but she would correct it. She assured me that the problem would be resolved by the next day which was yesterday. So, once again I checked my account and the funds on hold had been removed but once again the double charge for the items I used was still there. I decided to wait until today to give the Boxer over the 72 hours I was told it would take to apply a credit before I checked my account. I checked this morning and again moments ago and the charge is still there. The time I have spent trying to resolve the matter far outweighs the duplicated charges that were made and when combined with my early experience makes the likelihood of my ever recommending the hotel or returning slim at best.

Room Tip: Don't.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RIguy_7
Vanessa V, General Manager at The Boxer Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear RI_guy7,

I appreciate you bringing these issues to my attention. I have contacted you directly as I originally and personally set up your complimentary anniversary reservation and am disappointed that it did not meet your expectation.

I look forward to speaking with you on how we can further resolve these issues.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed at The Boxer Boston 7/22-7/29/2014. In general, their staff members were friendly & helpful. There was one situation that dampened the otherwise nice experience, and that was on our final night – we returned to our room the evening of 7/28/2014 to find that our room had not been serviced at all… The bed that still had sand in it from our visit to Cape Cod, and wet towels were still on the floor. I called the front desk and described the situation; The response was that housekeeping was gone for the night, but he would inform the manager first thing in the morning. I stated that informing the manager would not resolve our problem, and finally had to insist that fresh towels and pillowcases be delivered.

Smaller issues that we overlooked prior to this were - moldy shower, shower door would not close, and a towel hook fell off the wall in the middle of the night (only had one bath towel hanging on it). We did notify the front desk of these things but didn't make a big deal out of them. It's also very loud - sound from the hallway and from adjacent rooms seemed amplified. Luckily I brought earplugs.

I've been trying to contact management to (1) compliment specific staff members, and (2) discuss the issue of the unserviced room. I have been sending emails and submitting on their contact page every week since I left, and also indicated on the customer satisfaction survey that I wanted a callback, but have had zero response.

It's a cute, charming hotel but I am disappointed in their lack of response.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank loan n

Dear Ioan n,

Thank you for bringing these issues to my attention. I have contacted you directly so that we can further discuss these issues. We take great pride in our beautiful historic building, our well trained service providers and our housekeeping department so hearing that we did not exceed your expectations is disappointing and unacceptable.

I look forward to speaking with you soon