“Amazing food! Totally worth it!”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 27 April 2012

In planning my trip to Boston, I was searching online for the best Lobster Roll and I came across Neptune Oyster. After looking into it, I decided to give it a try. My friend and I got there around 8PM and there was a big line. AN HOUR WAIT! By that point I was starving so we decided we'd put our name on the list but walk around and try to find another place to eat. We walked around the area and while there was a whole slew of restaurants to try, we decided in the end to go back to Neptune and wait it out. SMARTEST DECISION OF OUR WHOLE TRIP!

The restaurant, though quite small, has great ambiance. The servers are very attentive and honest with their suggestions. Even though we originally went there for the Lobster Roll, I ended up ordering the Lobster on polenta, my friend ordered the Scallops and we shared the buttermilk Johnnycake and a bunch of raw Oysters.

First off...the Johnnycake. BEST. APPETIZER. EVER!! We weren't even looking to order an App because we were already ordering a number of Oysters (which were fantastic btw) but the table beside us ordered one and as soon as we saw and smelt it (and with the "coercion" of the waiter and party beside us), we knew we had to get it. I cannot describe how incredible this tasted, you just have to try it. Go. Just do it. You won't regret it if you like things that are delicious!

On to the mains...the Lobster on polenta was DELICIOUS but I think they switch up their lobster entree to suite the season so it may not be there when you go. Either way, you can't go wrong with Lobster. My friend's Scallops were cooked perfectly (she asked to have them well done because they normally serve them blue). All in all, the food was fabulous!
I will definitely be back there on my next trip to Boston to finally taste their Lobster roll.

Don't be turned off by the size of the restaurant, the line/wait, or the prices (although they are pretty reasonable to me)! Neptune Oyster is totally worth it!!

1  Thank theBeachismyTiffanys
Write a ReviewReviews (1,673)

Reviewed 27 April 2012

My son ate here recently and was victimized by an unethical server who adjusted the tip. By the time we discovered the problem it was too late to dispute. Server name on the receipt was Grouper.

Just a warning to check your receipt carefully here.

3  Thank Morgan C
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This place is very small & if you don't want to wait for a table, arrive at an off time. We went at 6:00 on a Friday night & were told over a 1 hour wait. They took our cell phone number & said they would call when they were ready. We walked around for 1 hr & went back to find it would be at least another 1/2 hr. It took about 1 hr. 45 min. to get seated. Since we weren't in a rush & knew about the wait, it was OK but we were getting really hungry! (nice bar across the street for a drink!) After being seated at the counter, we already knew what we wanted, the Hot Lobster Roll, & ordered immediately. The rolls came in about 10 minutes. If you are a lobster lover you've got to try these! No picking time & about 1/2 lbs of warm lobster meat. Sooooo good! The fries were excellent also. People coming in after 8:00 were getting turned away for the night because they close at 10:30 & it was a 2-1/2 hr wait! It was worth our wait! We knew what to expect. A must try in Boston!

1  Thank jkatobx
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We visited during lunch and the place was packed.The restaurant is very small and yes the wait time for the table is between 30-45 minutes. I thought it was worth the wait though. I had the Island Creek Oyster that the bartender recommended and it was really good! I am not a big oyster fan but that particular oyster was really delicious. i ordered obviously the famous lobster roll and wow it was soooo good! Just make sure to expect a long wait when you decided to visit. I would definitely return.

1  Thank lizirizea
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great lobster rolls (hot or cold), great oysters - among the freshest and best you will find anywhere. The prices are high, but the quality is unsurpassed. Very small space but cozy, clean and worth a visit. These folks know what they are doing when it comes to fresh seafood.

1  Thank JasBoston_MA