“Genuine and just very good”
Review of Neptune Oyster

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: North End
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Small, or rather right sized, place to go if you are interested in really good seaood and fantastic oysters. Here is place where service is okey, table settings minimal and menu is "easy to grasp" but you get really good food of highest quality and the prices are very OK. It might be an annusannce for some that table reservation is not possible but I actually see that as positive as the guests at the restaurant have have waited patiently, showing they are there because the place and the food is worth it. I was one of them tonight and I will be back. Just a good place!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I was so looking forward to eating here and couldn't wait to get in after reading all the rave reviews. After a $95 lunch (two chowders, 2 lobster rolls and a Guinness) I was a hungry and disappointed. I love lobster rolls and know what a great roll should taste like. This place is not it. The hot lobster roll I had was rubbery and the meat tasted old. It was a hot buttery mess on top of a bun that was falling apart. The lobster was so chewy, my mom couldn't even finish her roll and left half on her plate.

The clam chowder was just okay. It was extremely salty, almost like too much sherry (don't know if they use that but it tasted like it). Once again there's better places in Boston to get chowder.

Service was great though. Too bad the food couldn't match the service. If you're claustrophobic or antisocial, don't even think of going here. You're pretty much elbow to elbow with other patrons in the restaurant.

I wish I could say I had the same experience as other people. But this is a skip it. I noticed a lot of tourists here so maybe they're not serving quality food because they know half their customer are not repeat customers and won't be back.

If you really, really want to eat here, go right when they open and put your name in. I did that and only had an hour wait.

Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

The lobster roll and clam chowder were overloaded with fresh seafood. The clam chowder wasn't super creamy so you were really able to taste the fresh clams. We had to wait in line for it to open on a Sunday, but if you are one of the first 10-15 people you will get seated. FYI depending on the size of your group you may be seated with strangers. Definitely a diner setting. Great seafood!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Neptune was really delicious. Mussels, scallops, lobster roll all really well prepared. Bummer it does not take reservations but there are so many cool bars to go have a drink while you wait. Def going back.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had lunch at Neptune Oyster on a cold Wednesday in Boston. After a short wait outside, I sat at the bar. Company was nice and waitresses were happily joking with the regulars.
Looking to taste local food, I went for the clam chowder and the lobster roll. Yummy !! My neighbor was eating Johnny cakes and I regretted my starter choice as it looked delicious and original.

I highly recommend this place both for the atmosphere and the food.

Been to Neptune Oyster? Share your experiences!