“Thrice is fails to impress”
Review of Sibling Rivalry - CLOSED

Neighbourhood: South End
Cross street: Berkeley & Tremont
Transit: Green Line: Copley Square or Arlington Orange Line: Back Bay
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Due to the proximity with the theater, it was convient and well regarded. Over the course of 2 months we went 3 times to eat and did not stay the fourth time. For a restaurent to impress me it must either use flavors in a unique way or do basic flavors well. The menu included a few items that would fit either category but the execution was off. I enjoyed my meal but it did not rise to the level comparable with the price or prestige. By the way, the forth time I went as a party of 3 and was refused to be sat at one of the several available tables in the dinning room but rather sat in the drafty bar next to the cold glass wall.

Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

CLOSED! We got to the restaurant last night in time for our 8pm reservation and the sign on the door simply says "we are closed." No call from the restaurant , no info, nothing. We were able to find a close restaurant to accommodate us and find out they had a party of 14 last week that the same thing happened! How do you run, if you still do, a restaurant that is now closing without any notice?

2  Thank rjaver1
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Is it possible to give negative stars? Tonight was the worst dining experience I have ever had in my whole life. I have never written a review good or bad on any website but tonight warrants me telling the world of my experience. We have been to sibling rivalry a number of times and love getting drinks at the bar but this will be the last time we ever go here. When we first got to the restaurant, there was a sign at the front saying they were not accepting American Express. This is not unusual for many small merchants but for a popular restaurant in Boston's South End this was a bit disappointing. I had made reservations ahead of time and despite the restaurant not being very busy when we walked in, a table was not ready for us....again, not so bad but disappointing. We sat down and when the waiter handed us the menu, he explained that more than half of the entree items were sold out as well as a number of appetizers. Today is a Friday during lent...Only one non meat option was available. As we thought about what to order, we observed a waiter being incredibly rude to the table next to us... Yelling at them to move the plates and drinks they had at the table to make room for the entrees he was putting down. We ordered a salad to split for an appetizer and some drinks. When the salad arrived, we noticed there were no avocados in the salad as indicated on the menu. When we asked the waiter about it, he said that he noticed it when he brought it out to us and that the kitchen added some extra grapefruit instead. Why didn't he say something to us then? The main reason we ordered that salad was because of the avocados. He was definitely trying to pull one over on us and wasn't going to say anything to us if we hadn't brought it up. At this point, we still did not get the drinks that we ordered. My husband ordered a steak (because he didn't like the only non meat item available) and I ordered the salmon. When our entrees arrived they were both well under cooked. I hate sending things back but I saw my husband could barely eat his steak, we told the waiter of the rareness of both our meals. I tried eating the ends of my salmon but by this point I had lost my appetite. The waiter offered to bring out a new steak. The maitre dee came over to apologize and offered to give us a round of drinks. When the new steak arrived, it was charred on the outside so my husband figured it would be over cooked but when he cut into it, it was so raw it was purple. I don't understand how a restaurant can make the same mistake twice - actually worse the second time- it just shows that they really don't care. The complimentary drinks came and the glasses they were in were so dirty we felt grime all on the outside of the glasses. To top it all off, as we were leaving, my husband hit his head on the lamp above our table and the amount of dust that flew off the lamp was disgusting. I am so disgusted by this whole experience. I hope I am not amending my review tomorrow saying I got food poisoning.

3  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We began our meal by sharing several appetizers--the shrimp was sweet and juicy and the Parmesan Dusted Frites with Truffle Aiol were delectable, plenty of both for 2 people to share. My daughter ordered the Baked Salmon in Pastry which looked like an egg roll and was crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. My steak was cooked perfectly and delicious. The portions were generous and we had no room for desert. Our waiter was very friendly, attentive, and informative about the restaurant name and concept. He made suggestions which helped us decide what to order. We would definitely recommend this restaurant to our family and friends, and we will return again!

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Overall we were underwelmed and greatly disappointed. It was an evening of "nevers". After we were seated in a lovely booth the server came over. He never introduced himself, never asked if it was our first visit so he could explain the meaning of "sibling rivalry", NEVER checked on us the whole time we were there and we never had our water glasses refilled. I ordered a second drink as our server was removing our appetizers and I never received it till after we were both completely done with our dinners. Our bill did show us that my first drink was credited. While the decor and seating were lovely I felt there was no personality there. Basically-sit down, order, eat, pay the bill and leave. As I live in the South End neighborhood, there are many, much nicer, interesting places to dine. Afterall, that is what the South End is known for ! Instead, we could have had fun at Hammersley (classy) or the Beehive (character) right next door! I have lived in Boston 11 years and this was such a disappointment!