“great service, good food, great drinks, friendly staff”
Review of Stanhope Grille

Stanhope Grille
Ranked #893 of 3,337 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Berkeley St.
Transit: T-Stops: Back Bay Station- Orange Line, Arlington Station- Green Line
Description: Pamper yourself in Stanhope Grille, where you will dine in style and sophistication. Our culinary staff has created menus that celebrate the very best ingredients of the season. The chefs are proud to support local farmers, foragers, cheese-makers and fishermen featuring sustainable beef, lamb, pork, poultry and seafood wherever possible. The dining room extends into an open-air terrace perfect for people watching.
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Went there with my girl on a midweek date to relax a little (both working, 10 month old at home, life gets stressing!)
the reservation process was as painless as it can ever be,call, provide name, date, time, all set! The lady on the phone is very friendly and welcoming, just as she is in person.

The wait service: it is outstanding (as other reviewers have pointed out) they are friendly but not chummy, and seem genuinely caring and their recommendations are on point.

The food: the food is good. She ordered a burrata and I the soup of the day (cuban style) for entrees, they were excellent! The soup was hearty, the portion generous without filling me up too much, and I don't recall my girlfriend complimenting cheese in a restaurant the way she did about the one she had here. Our entrees, (New York Sirloin for me, Organic chicken for her) were also delicious and very well timed. The only observation I had were a couple of the petite potatoes fell a bit undercooked, but I heard no complaints from her (the side was the same for her) and we both had to ask Greg (our waiter) about the asparagus, it was grilled to perfection!

Drinks: they don't skimp on the drinks, which sometimes is a tradition on restaurants/bars like this one, where the higher the price, the lower the alcohol volume and the smaller the glasses. NOT AT STANHOPE! we tried 3 martinis, and the "dark & stormy" concoction of rum and ginger beer was killer!

Dessert: we ordered the bread pudding, and by mistake Greg brought in the creme brulee. When we told him about it, he graciously replied right back "well folks, you start with that, and your bread pudding will be here in a second" nice recovery, not pushy at all, and of course he didn't charge for it, but I would've paid anyway since we ate it too! The bread pudding reads like a lot more in the menu than it was on the table, but it was by no means inferior, we just expected something different going by the menu description (menu is available here http://www.doylecollection.com/restaurants/the_stanhope_grille.aspx?utm_source=yelp&utm_medium=social&utm_term=listing&utm_content=listing&utm_campaign=stanhope-grille-yelp)

All in all, I definitely recommend this place, the atmosphere is relaxed and somewhat sophisticated but not pretentious by any means, It's very comfortable, not noisy (at least not that night, the bar area was half full but the patrons kept to themselves) and I think it'll do quite nicely as the starting point for a fun night in town. It's not cheap, it's definitely not as expensive as the neighboring Grill 23 (from what I've been told, haven't been there) and I think the food and the service are right on.

2  Thank QuirozLetsTravel

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Located in the Back Bay Hotel, in the former Police Commissioner's Building, this restaurant is an excellent place to eat. The ambiance is low-keyed, very comfortable and private and the service is stellar. The four of us enjoyed our meals and had a truly top dining experience here.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We were suprised that the restaurant was almost empty at 6:30pm but we proceded with our reservation and have mixed reviews for our meal. First of all the wait service was outstanding, providing enough attention without being over bearing. My wife hit the jackpot with the Lobster Ravioli it was a large portion , very tasty and well prepared. I opted for the pasta with meat sauce and was underwhelmed. I expected more taste but I managed to finish it all (another large portion). The only complaint was the bread - OMG you needed a hammer to break them apart and you couldn't chew it. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet the followin morning. This was a pleasant suprise as everything was delicious again with superior wait staff service. The breakfast boosted the rating up for me !

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Small, but high-quality menu based on local, farm-fresh ingredients and nice variation. I had the lobster ravioli, which was excellent. I was traveling alone on business, and the waiter struck just the right balance of attentiveness.

1  Thank gfpatterson
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Tucked away in the split level underground of the superb Back Bay Hotel, the Stanhope Grill is one of those places that simply doesn't get the traffic it deserves. I have had a number of exceptional meals here, from expertly crafted breakfasts employing farm-fresh organic ingredients to dinners that rival those I've had in the best restaurants in cities all over the world.

I've had one of the three best wild mushroom soups (one of my favorite soups) in my life here. One other was in Poland at a restaurant where an elderly mountaineer came in while we were there with a paper sack of just-gathered mushrooms, and another was in the hinterlands of the Scottish Highlands. To get a big city restaurant wild mushroom soup rivaling those was quite an accomplishment.

Greg, my waiter on several occasions, has always made excellent recommendations for food choice as well as wine choice, and has always proved meticulously attentive yet never intrusive. Seems as if he reads my needs even from the other room.

In addition to the memorable wild mushroom soups I have had here I would add the venison with wild cranberry dish I once had. Done to perfection, artistically presented and offered with perfectly done glazed baby carrots, I will remember this dish also even as I cherish the memory of an extraordinary wild venison dinner I once enjoyed in Scotland. Who needs to travel afar for such food when it's available right here in Boston (unless of course you one wishes to enjoy the magic of the Highland skies or the simplicity of Polish village life.

While not inexpensive, Stanhope offers value commensurate with the price of its offerings. Highly recommended.

3  Thank Reginald W