“Location and Price”

Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Alexandria, Virginia
“Location and Price”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I found this hotel on a discount website and it is basic but comfortable and continues to be the most afforadable hotel in this neighborhood. I travel here on business every 6 months and I am here 2 - 3 days at a time. I now book directly on their website and am happy with the staff and the accomodations. Free internet, clean rooms, small and basic but the price is important as my travel budget has been negotiated in recent years. The card key elevator does ensure that people are not wandering through the floors of the hotel and I find it is not uncommon in many big hotels in major urban areas. It has residential floors (YWCA) but the residents use separate elevators that only go to the residential floors. I have met several of the managers in the lobby and in the elevators on different stays and they are always interested in my stay and my comfort. I would say if price and location are your motivator then this may be a great find in Boston.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear William R,

Thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to provide your comments. We are delighted with your repeat visit and that you book directly on our website. The free Wi-Fi is a great feature and more and more rare these days. We look forward to many more of your visits.

Kind Regards,
Emily A.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 15 May 2012

The location was perfect...right in the heart of Copley. The front staff was very polite and helpful, and a cab driver was waiting at the front door when we checked out. The rooms were very clean, and there was always an extra supply of towels and such at our doorstep (we always use the do not disturb sign during our whole stay). The rooms are small, but your just there to sleep and shower. I would definitaly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Sara K,

Thank you very much for your comments! So many of our guests are thrilled at our close proximity to everything Copley. I appreciate you noting the cleanliness of the property and our pleasant helpful staff. We look forward to hosting your next visit to Boston!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We booked this "Boutique Hotel" as a 3 star on Hotwire. Really it is a slightly upscaled YWCA (really, sign is on the building). Many of the floors are still residential hotel and you need to insert your key to even get to your floor on the elevator-presumably because of security concerns. The front desk (staffed by the manager!) was incredibly rude. Charged $50 to my credit card to hold for "incidentals" without asking first. When questioned, response was "all hotels do that"...then sent us to dark, tiny room with 2 twin beds (we were obviously a married couple). Return to front desk, sent to brighter, still very small, room with queen bed. Could not imagine what "incidentals" in this extremely basic room would add up to $50, as there was nothing to use up or buy. They do have free internet, which I used to contact Hotwire, who was very helpful, gave an instant full refund and allowed us to book a much better, slightly more expensive hotel nearby. Not boutique, not 3 star--very poor quality for price, stay away!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jtraveler50
Dear JTravelor50,

Thank you for your candid remarks recently posted. I am sorry that we were not the right fit for your visit to Boston. Just to clarify for you, our 3-Star Ranking is not self-assigned, but designated by third party travel experts. Although we are not a YWCA any longer, we are very proud of our heritage of being constructed as the first "Y" in the country in 1929. We do not actually have any hotel rooms with twin size beds, so I can see that you were assigned to a Deluxe Guest room with two full beds. Our front-office manager let me know when you checked in that you were unhappy with the $50 security hold on your credit card, but I can assure you that this is common hotel procedure.

I am glad that you recognized the value of using hotel keys to access the elevators. Many of our guests greatly appreciate this added security measure. I am also glad that you were able to find a more suitable fit to your travel needs, as it is always our greatest hope that you enjoy your travels.

Buenos Aires
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I have no complaints as I paid less than half the price of an average hotel in Boston, but I only stayed there for a night (we arrived late at night and checked out early in the morning); can´t imagine what I would be to stay there more than 2 nights for example.
The room was clean and cozy but too small and everything fitted like a puzzle.
There is no breakfast.
The location was the best part. Great great location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Only stayed one night, but I'd definitely return in the future! Clean, great price, close to downtown and public transit. I really liked that it was in a well cared-for heritage building, had unique rooms with mini-fridge, wonderful Tarocco soap & shampoo, and attentive staff.

Room Tip: I personally like higher rooms in order to get a better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear Selene,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about Hotel 140. Thank you especially for mentioning our new Tarocco products, as we are very excited to now provide these specialty bath products from Italy for our guests. We explored many options before carefully selecting one that we love. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed this (all important) detail of your visit!

Emily
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I booked a room at Hotel 140 for our anniversary celebration and I must say that we were pleasantly surprised. Not only was the hotel easy to find (get off the T at the Back Bay station, turn left and there you are) , it was also in an excellent location. It is just a short walk to many restaurants and also to Copley Place shopping. The rooms are clean and the bed is comfortable. Hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Wi-fi worked fine. We did eat breakfast almost every morning at the Stuart Street Grill located in the hotel and it was very good and inexpensive. Other reviews mentioned the walls being thin -although the hotel was full we really did not notice any noise. If and when we ever return to Boston I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Angie,

Happy Anniversary! We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit to Boston for this special event and delighted you enjoyed staying with us. Thank you for posting the lovely room photos! We hope you join us again for your future travels North to Boston.

Warmest Regards,
Emily
Layton, Utah
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Property was clean, super close to the subway. Helpful staff. It was quiet. Stayed during the week. Price was average, lower than some of the area hotels though. I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Boston-Hotel140, Guest Relations at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you so much for your positive comments! It always pleases us to hear our guests positive feedback. We do take great pride in being a boutique hotel in the heart of Back Bay Boston with intelligent pricing and enthusiastic staff. We look forward to your future visits with us here at Hotel 140!

Guest Relations Team