“Great little hotel”

Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New Haven, Connecticut
“Great little hotel”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I booked this hotel and really hoped that it would live up to my expectations. Recent reviews are mixed, most complaints about noise, loud heating system and small facilities. Well here goes. I checked in with a very polite young lady who directed me to my room, and made sure I had everything I needed to get around the city, including maps, information about the transit system and local places to eat. I was interested in a juice bar and she directed me to one that was close by. My room (712) was immaculate, small, but no more than I needed. The stand up shower was a bit on the small side but then again, nothing that would keep me from coming back. Flat screen tv, fridge, small set of drawers, queen bed, free wireless. The heat was adequate, but I do agree with others that they should have heavier blankets in January. No problem when I asked for an extra blanket...they brought one right up for me. Outside my room there was a small meeting room and on both mornings, people were mingling outside that room and though they didn't know it, their voices were carrying right into my room. I did peek out and ask them to take their conversations elsewhere and they politely apologized and moved away from my door. My advise to late sleepers is to NOT book a room near this meeting space. It tends to get noisy...and I am not a light sleeper. I would imagine the room set up on floors above and below are exactly the same, so when I return, and I will, I will book on another floor. I give the hotel, staff, accomodations a big thumbs up. This hotel is a diamond in the rough of huge hotels in the area. The metro station is right around the corner, so I didn't need to drive a car, or worry about parking it for $$$ every day. Took amtrack from CT right to Back Bay station, walked a block and I was there. Can't wait to share this gem with my friends! Great job, Hotel 140! I'll be back!

Room Tip: 7th floor has a small meeting room in the middle of rooms 712-715. If you are a light sleeper, I rec...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Deanna I
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback about your stay with us! We are thrilled that you were pleased with the staff and guest room. Per your request, we would be happy to find you a room in a quieter area during your next visit. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit!

Hotel140 Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Khabarovsk, Russia
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My best friend and I just checked out from Hotel 140. I just wanted to say that this was my best trip to Boston! I love our hotel - its location, our apartment and the staff most of all. I actually made a lot of friends in here. And MacGyver is the best one! We even went to NY together, he showed us the city and he helped us in everything we asked for. Thanks to him our trip was really funny so I will never forget it. And I'll be back for sure! 'Cause 4 weeks weren't enough to enjoy. Thank you everyone for making our stay so so amazing. I'm going to miss everyone:(

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Masha T
Boston-Hotel140, Director of Sales at Hotel 140, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our hotel staff. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay in Boston and we hope to see you again soon!

Lemoyne, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Definitely qualifies as a "boutique" hotel. This is a clean and well run hotel in a convenient Back Bay location near everything. Boston is a great walking city and there is no better area to start from than the Back Bay. There were no "strange" people wandering the halls during our stay. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and service was above par. The only drawback was the small size of the room. It would be adequate for one person, but was cramped for two people. Not exactly a room in which you would choose to have a room service dinner. Loved the old phots used for decor from its days as a YWCA residence.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JudyTomB
Thank you very much for your feedback! Our location certainly cannot be beat and we are so glad that you were able to take advantage of that. Please come see us again soon.

Natal, RN
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The extraordinary care, the attention, the excellent tips on what to do and what to see in Boston provided by the receptionist Julieta. She is a Brazilian super helpful, they really did everything to make our stay the best possible. No doubt, I recommend the Hotel 140.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ednardo2014
Thank you for your kind words about Hotel140 and our front desk staff. Feedback is always appreciated and we would like to continue to provide you with great service in the future! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Carle Place, New York
Reviewed 30 January 2014

've stayed here a couple of times in the past year. Rooms are always clean; staff is friendly and willing to help. Rates are very good for the heart of Boston. I was able to walk to all my appointments and like every city there are great restaurants within a block or two.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank john s
Thank you for sharing your feedback! We are glad to hear that you were pleased with the hotel's location, amenities, and price. Please come see us again soon!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We had a great stay at Hotel 140 a couple of weeks ago. The room had everything we needed, was modern, comfortable and had nice little touches such as higher quality bath products. The location was perfect and is as central as you could want for getting everywhere you need to go, including food, activities, metro line, parks etc. The hotel had fast (free) wifi, free computer access (first 15 minutes) for printing boarding passes etc., and in general doesn't feel like it is lacking for anything, which brings me to my final point. The staff at Hotel 140 really make the stay special. Every single one who I had a question for pointed me in the right direction and really made me feel at home in Boston. Most especially, Macgyver took the time to carefully recommend dining experiences, and give a detailed explanation of everything Boston had to offer. I couldn't have asked for a more knowledgeable, good-humored individual, and I honestly felt like the hotel had hired him to be our expert on all things Boston.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad that you felt fulfilled with your stay at hotel140. Our staff continues to make lasting impressions on our guests! We look forward to seeing you during your next visit!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is my 4th time staying here in about 4 years. This time I arrived to find the card security had been taped over in the elevators. "Oh, but there are security cameras in the elevators", said the nice lady at the front desk. Next day I noticed a number of "lower income folks" wandering the halls, riding the elevators and sitting on the stairs. In the past, the non-business guests mostly seemed to be students.

Last night the person in the room next to me decided to light up in the bathroom immediately filling my room with smoke. I called the front desk to report it and was told, "We can move you to another room." "Thanks but it's 10:30 at night. This is a non-smoking hotel - how about you go tell them to stop." "I can't. I am the only person on tonight. Besides, I'm small. There's no way I'm going up there to get into an argument."

This morning I was awoken at 5:30 by a woman in the hallway speaking loudly in a language I can only guess was Ethiopian. I presume she was on the phone. Seeing as I had some extra time before my first meeting, I did a little investigation and figured out my room filled with smoke the previous night because they turn the ventilation system off at night (it was on in the morning). Presumable this is a money-saving idea. (!)

So anyway, if you want to stay in a nice low-security hotel, with colorful smoking neighbors, cheerful yet unhelpful staff and with the opportunity to learn new languages thrown in for free, this is your place. Me, not so much.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business