“Very good hotel, great location!”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Not a luxury hotel, but a very good 2nd tier hotel in a great location! We were upgraded to a studio with kitchen for no additional charge, very pleasant with large closet for hanging clothes. Cramped bathroom but extremely clean & we were well taken care of by front desk & cleaning staff. Overall: excellent

• Stayed: May 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,153)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I chose Hotel 140 for the average rating and the location and other than the location; this hotel and the entire experience there was horrible. I would NEVER recommend anyone stay in this hotel. It is not in any way what I would term a “boutique hotel” much less a hotel. I have had better service, accommodations and amenities in a Motel 6. I usually try to be understanding of situations and to give fair, even reviews but it’s just impossible in this case. Let me break it down:

The room was tiny – which is not a huge issue – and it was overall pretty clean; but other than the bed (which was fine) it was furnished with a child sized wooden chair, a square vinyl covered footstool and a dorm fridge which smelled up the room when opened – and it was empty, so why was it so smelly?

There was no place to put my laptop to do any type of work and when I put my laptop on the bed, the chair seat was a bit lower than the mattress so not good for my back. The free WiFi also times out regularly without warning which is truly irritating.

The walls are paper-thin and you can hear everything going on in the neighboring rooms from conversations to toilets flushing. As luck would have it, I had a screaming baby in the next room with an even louder mother telling the baby to be quiet.

They have a security fixation, which may be good for some people, but it was odd to me. The elevator and all doors only function with the use of your room key. If you have any guests or order room service outside of the hotel; you must go and fetch the individuals and take them to your room.

My room was on the 6th floor and there was a separate elevator for floors 5 – 9. I stepped into the elevator to go to my room and was followed by a young woman, nicely-dressed and a man, quiet odorous and disheveled – both had room keys. Luckily, the questionable man tried using his room key to make the elevator function, and when it didn't work, he exited the elevator – how secure is it when vagrants have room keys? Luckily it didn't work.

I was so unhappy with the room that I immediately looked for another room and booked the Boston Park Plaza of the rest of my stay. There were unfortunately no hotels in Boston available after I checked in unless I wanted to spend $1K+ at the Colonnade for one night. I did give it some thought, trust me!

Finally, I called to cancel my remaining night at Hotel 140 and the desk clerk said, “…your room is prepaid so you are out of luck.” So when I explained to him how unhappy – and uncomfortable I was, he said, “…well you can check out anytime, you just are not going to get a refund for the following night and your room will just be empty.”

As I sit here writing this review, I can hear the man next to me showering and the woman and the baby on the other side of me doing their verbal tango…one of the WORST hotel experiences I have ever had anywhere in the world.

Stay far away from Hotel 140 – you’ll be happy you did!!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel - you'll be glad you did!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for a recent graduation weekend. Staff could not have been more helpful. Room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Great location! Rooms are small but I didn't travel to Boston to stay in the room. Highly recommend and would stay there again.

1  Thank Gerzeygurl
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights for our nephew's graduation. Nice hotel, nice staff. Cafe for breakfast was convenient and good. Had room on 10th floor -clean-really nice! I would definitely recommend this hotel for a nice visit to Boston.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Driving to hotel 140 I could not have been more happy with the neighbourhood it was in. So much to see and do around it including restaurants, shopping and culture. The staff was very informative, helpful and friendly. Honestly one of the best stays in Boston I have ever had. Hotel 140 is worth every penny of your stay. Definitely will be booking future visits to Boston with them again!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Clean hotel, friendly staff, good location, good price! We stayed there as 3-people family and have fully satisfied.
I would recommend this hotel for those who will visit Boston.
The only thing I could say which was not great (but still OK) was the breakfast facility for a traveller, which is not included in the price. However, a breakfast for 3 people family costs 27 USD, reasonably cheap indeed.

Room Tip: No preference
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I liked the location of the hotel but found it expensive. There was no closet, clothes rack or desk in the room and I would have loved to have a safe deposit box in the room. The air conditioning was positioned behind a wall so the cool air never entered the bedroom. I did not like the fact that breakfast was not included in the price of the room, which I found expensive. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is great and Copley square is really centrally located.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business