“Going Green” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfield, Connecticut
“Going Green”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

The Westin is certainly making a concerted effort to go green and still provide a first-rate experience for its guests. The water supply is more limited (but still sufficient) and the soap is more like a delicate palm leaf, so that you use more and waste less. Everything seems more efficient and effective. There was a nice economy of means. I applaud their efforts to promote sustainability. It is clearly a good way to go without cutting back on the amenities.

Room Tip: I cannot know that since I was on the 14th floor and have only been there once. You might want a roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gay P
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your review. We have a dedicated team here at The Westin Boston Waterfront and it is their mission to continue to look for solutions to encourage sustainability. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I think my biggest issue with this hotel is in checking in. When I pulled up in my car on a rainy day, I was told that I could not leave it while I checked in. Then that bellman walked away. When I asked the same of another bellman, he said, sure. Checking in took a long time. There were conventions at the hotel and not enough front desk staff. I am a Starwood preferred member, but there was no one at the preferred check in desk, and both of the other agents were busy. When I finally checked in, I was told to use my room key to enter the garage with my car; that didn't work, and there was no one around, so I took a ticket and then returned to the front desk to tell them what had happened. At that point I was told that I first had to get the ticket and then my room key would work. When I asked for a bellman so I could get to my room quickly, wash up from a long day and meet my group, I was told there was no bellman available. So I took my own things to my room. It was a rainy day, and I then wanted to catch a cab, but this hotel is convenient only to the convention center, and there were no cabs. It took 20 minutes to get one.
Women, beware of the fact that the hotel garage is open to anyone - from the outside and in and out of the hotel. I did not see any security cameras, so it is a bit scary to enter and exit the garage alone.
Speaking of alone, that first night, I was in bed in my room after 11 and someone started to knock
on my door. Did it three times. Then the phone rang. Then the knocking again. It was pretty scary. When I called the front desk, they had no idea what was going on, and no one ever suggested sending up security. They called back and told me it was a mistake, that someone had gone to the wrong room to answer a service call from a guest. But it was a pretty scary experience for me, and neither the front desk person I spoke to nor the manager I spoke to were particularly comforting or apologetic. "I apologize," was all I got - no appreciation for how scary it was to think that someone was trying to get into my room.
Finally, on check out, I had a zero bill and just wanted to return my key to the front desk, find out how to exit the garage, and go. There were two front desk clerks - one helping another guest and the other working on her computer. She barely looked at me, if at all, and said she would be right with me. But no smile, and didn't look up, and after a while I finally said that all I wanted to do was to drop my key. She said again to wait, she was working on another guest (some phantom I suppose, since there was no one there). It's one thing to be doing something else, but another not to receive any cordial response and to keep standing there and standing there without her looking up. She just was very unfriendly.
But the room was nice and clean and new, and I had a good view of the harbor. The hotel works for a convention but if you want to be in the thick of things in Boston, not. To get into town, though, it's only a one block walk to the silver line, which is an electrified bus that runs underground at that point, and it's a brief two stops to the red line. Getting around by train from the hotel is really no big deal.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbor view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank constablegal
Thank you for providing such a detailed review. I was very disappointed to read your comments and that we were unable to meet your expectations. I would like to assure you that the safety and security of our guests is a top priority. Please reach out to me directly at donna.frechette@westin.com so that I can better understand what happened in an effort to ensure your next guest experience is an enjoyable one. I look forward to hearing from you.
Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Westin for a convention. The receipt that I received at the end of my stay stated that my account was responsible for one amount, then my account was charged double the amount. It turns out that the receipt was wrong, but the charge was correct. How is it that a receipt is different from the charges made? Also, I need to submit this receipt to my work, and the charges are totally wrong. I was most upset by this situation because I stood patiently at the front desk on the day of check out for 30-40 minutes to clear up some of the confusion. Also, housekeeping did not really make the beds very well and even left pillows on the floor after they were there.

Room Tip: Get a view of the water
Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank mich12580
I was terribly disappointed to read that you had billing problems that were not addressed while you were still here at the hotel. Please contact me directly at donna.frechette@westin.com and I will be happy to to research so that the matter is resolved to your satisfaction. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,
Donna
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

If the waterfront veiw caught your eye I would continue looking. This is not waterfront and not convenient to downtown. Works well if you are in town for a convention but at least a $15 cab ride to any tourist attractions. The Irish pub onsight was surprisingly good but really the only night life going. The view from my room was of a large air-conditioning unit no water in sight. There is not even any public places within the hotel with a waterfront view nor is it a close or picturesque walk to see the water. The room was nice but no real amenities for the price. If you are going to be a tourist then a hotel in another area would be better.

Room Tip: Top floors only
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Beckb71
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. In addition to our complimentary shuttle to Faneuil Hall, we also have a terrific public transportation system and the South Station train stop is just a 15 minute walk from the hotel. We do appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future.
Eminence, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Boston was an unbelievably, historic town! But I want to write about the most historic service I have ever experienced. We arrived early at the Westin Waterfront, which is the most convenient and well managed convention center hotel I had ever been in! It was then that we were blown away by the service, care, and attention offered to us by our the person checking us in! His name was Orlando and he was the best front desk attendant ever! He made our trip super-special and even checked in on us throughout our stay to make sure all was still well! He was everything we have grown to love about Starwood and then some. We are die-hard Starwood travelers and have come to expect great service, but Orlando blew even our expectations away! If going to Boston, stay at the Westin Waterfront and make sure to tell Orlando hi!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Firefall75
Thank you for the fabulous review you had for our property and for giving a shout out to Orlando, our Front Desk Agent. He has proven to be a valuable asset to the hotel and we are delighted he was able to go above and beyond your expectations. I will share your comments with his immediate Supervisor so that he is properly recognized. We hope you will consider staying at The Westin Boston Waterfront for your next visit.
Kalamazoo, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stay at the Westin during a large convention in April. It met my expectations without a problem. The rooms were clean and well kept. The management made sure to create an area for all of the convention attendees to congregate, freeing up the lobby and bar area for other guests. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank adias.angel
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed here for a convention. It has the usual upscale Westin lobby and rooms. Check in was a breeze. There is an enclosed walkway at the mezzanine level to the convention center. We were on an SPG floor that included a small refrigerator and we also had free bottled water left each day. On the downside -- while it is wonderful for convention attendees, it is at least a mile and half walk to the downtown historic and wharf areas. There is a T station 2-3 blocks away, but it is not a fun walk in the rain, and we did not try to negotiate it. The Irish pub on site -- M.J. O'Connor's -- has a tasty New England clam chowder, and their menu is also available in the Citi Bar. We had breakfast at the Sauciety one morning, and there were plenty of tables, but service was excruciatingly slow and inept, and we did not return. A latecomer to our table was served long before I was (and my order did not require cooking), no one stopped by to refill coffee or water, or even ask if all was okay. I had a hard time finding the waitress to get our check, and when I did it was dragged out for well over 15 minutes. That is certainly not what I would expect of a convention center hotel with predominantly convention guests who are pressed for time.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business