“Disappointing Stay”

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I usually enjoy staying at Westin properties, and this indeed a new, nice hotel.

However, the location is far from ideal - its a bit of a shlepp downtown, few restaurants are around. You should avoid staying here unless you're attending a convention at the center next door.

The service was lackluster. I was not greeted as a Platinum member and actually had to help the front desk recognize my Platinum status (she tried to insist that my status hadn't gone through, yet I'm confirmed through Feb 2015). The breakfast was a standard Westin buffet and very good, but wow -- how many people does it take to run a small hotel restaurant? Found myself waiting for a table each day -- with many empty and open tables available. The individuals were rude and the entire thing felt disorganized -- waiting 10 minutes to get someone to come to our table. I had to call the hotel after I checked out to remove the internet charges -- as a Platinum member, those are covered.

Overall, this property doesn't live up a standard Westin hotel -- especially in terms of the service.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for posting your review. While I was disappointed to read your comments, your feedback will allow us to improve upon our services where necessary and I will share your experience with our Director of Front Office and our Director of Food and Beverage to be addressed with the entire team in an effort to ensure these occurrences do not happen in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Boston Waterfront

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We planned a small cocktail time for people attending the conference, and our server Alicia was excellent! The manager (Chris) was fantastic!! He roped off an area for us, followed up and honestly made things so easy for me.
The hotel was great for a conference--super easy location.
Great stay

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank lovetheworld!

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for recognizing our staff at Birch Bar. I was delighted to read your comments and look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The Westin is the only hotel connected to the convention center, but the Seaport Hotel is only a block away. It's adjacent to the World Trade Center, where conventions are also held.

I've stayed at both. The Seaport is lower priced and gives in-room wifi free (Westin charges $14 per day. The rooms at both hotels are comfortable with great views of the harbour and skyline. But the Seaport has nice touches, like a night-light in the bathroom, bathrobe, fridge and coffemaker that worked, and ample electrical outlets to recharge phone, laptop, etc..

In my October stay at the Seaport, everything worked, the room was very comfortable, and the staff was efficient - except for a long wait at the understaffed front desk. In my November stay at the Westin (different convention) lots of things did not work: bad experience began with the room not being ready for my late-afternoon arrival, when I returned from dinner, the room was ready but it took a long time for the desk to find someone who could get my bag out of storage, the in-room fridge was broken, then in-room coffee makes steamed, spurted boiling-hot water and overflowed like Mt. Vesuvius. So did the replacement they brought up. ( the Starbucks coffee pods they give you have to be crammed into this brand of Mr. Coffee because they are not matched to the appliance, the cramming of the coffee pod causes Mr. Coffee to spurt out boiling water) No bathrobe in closet.

It's the little stuff that make a convention comfortable - or not. The Seaport was more comfortable and about 50 bucks a night less expensive.

Room Tip: Love the view of the Boston skyline, but, then, I never saw the view to the South.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time post your review. I'm terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. I have shared your comments with the appropriate Department Heads in an effort to ensure future guests do not encounter these instances. Your feedback is appreciated and will allow us to improve upon our services where necessary. I would like to hear from you further regarding your experience and you may reach me at
donna.frechette@westin.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Except for the location, which Is next to the Boston Waterfront Convention Center, this is the worst value to cost hotel we have ever stayed in. The bathrooms are small with a shallow tub/ shower combo. The closet is less than three feet wide. Although they say the $399 a night room Includes internet access, in-room wireless is an additional $19.95 per day--the "free" part is only if you go down to the lobby. The advertised "floor to ceiling windows" are less than 6 feet high and our high floor "view" room (928) overlooks the parking area of the convention center. They even leave notes in the room suggesting, in the interest of energy saving, that you decline housekeeping in exchange for a $5 food voucher. I'm all for saving energy but not when it increases the profit margin of an already overpriced hotel room. I usually write positive reviews and have stayed in many great places. This one is a major disappointment.

Room Tip: Consider the nearby Renaissance Boston waterfront instead. Still close to the convention center but...
1  Thank jworks
Donna F, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed in the value you received during your stay but your feedback is important and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

We were 4 to stay at the Westin Waterfront Boston last week end. My friend had a gold member card, so we got upgraded to a oceanview room on the 8th floor. The view of the old port and wharfs was incredible! Our 2 beds room was vast and well decorated. The hotel looks brand new and there was an amazing scent everywhere that you'll surely notice if you get there one day. The lobby was trendy with birch trunks and a nice bar with great cocktail (we had gin tonics & strawberry stormy). The staff was always helpful, gave us tips on restaurants and local attractions. When spent 1 hour on the pool and hot tub. You can even rent sporting clothes to try their complet gym. We didnt try the hotel restaurant, but it looked very good and always crowded. I'll definitely try to get back to this hotel on my next trip to Boston. I loved its quiet location, proximity to subway and seafood restaurants. Only a 20min walk from the Quincy market and all other nice Boston attractions. I suggest you to try the irish bar in the hotel (but not related). Its really a great hotel choice.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review you posted. I was delighted to read you enjoyed our signature White Tea scent that we use throughout the hotel and that you had the opportunity to experience all that Boston has to offer. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Recently here for 5 nights for a conference. We found the walk in to the downtown safe and pleasant. Very much appreciated the help from Matthew at the front desk who was so professional, polite, and helped us with maps/safety etc. since we are country bumpkins. Any contact with the front desk was amazingly organized and a very good experience both with check-in and check-out.
We ate at the Irish Pub two nights because we were tired and just wanted to stay around the hotel. The food was excellent. I have no idea what a couple of the earlier reviews were talking about. Both of us had wonderful appetizers and meals. Our room was spotless and Ilham our housekeeper was so nice and accommodating. My only complaint was that the Hot tub was so hot none of us could stand to be in it for more than about a minute and the pool was so cold no one could go in there either. I would definitely stay here again. Was happy to see Starbucks and even though the line was long there it moved fast. Thank you for a nice introduction to Boston!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of our property and for recognizing our hardworking staff. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here for 3 days pre cruise last month . Easy access to the cruise port (we walked with cases) and a brisk walk to downtown. One of the hop on hop off buses stops at the hotel and we did use this. Spacious well laid out hotel with a large but busy gym and pool. Rooms very good and we had a top floor room with a great view. We got a great deal on the hotels own website but beware the 'headline 'price as it did not include local taxes which appear to be a percentage of the 'rack rate'. However still a great deal at under £100 a night with breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of our property. I you enjoyed your cruise and will come back and stay with us should your travels bring you back to Boston.