“Better than expected”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 22 January 2009

I stayed in this hotel with my family (husband and two teenagers) on New Years Eve. I must admit my initial reaction was one of disappointment because I had overlooked its location and I thought I had booked a more central hotel so that we could enjoy the first night activities. However you have to make the best of your situation. The hotel is very large and spacious. The rooms are modern and clean. There were four of us in a room which was OK for one night before flying back to the UK, but for a few days the wardrobe would not have been large enough. The view once the fog had cleared and it had stopped snowing was quite nice. The beds were lovely and very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size with quality fittings. The shower looked very impressive but was a let down!!! The gym was well equipped but the swimming pool was very small and we didn't use it. The gift shop was good and had a good selection of souvenirs, sweets and toiletries and the prices were reasonable. The Irish bar served good food and we thought was reasonably priced, certainly not the most expensive that we had come across. Because we decided not too go out in the evening, we were able to order food for the kids and take it up to the room which was very handy and a lot cheaper than ordering room service. We had breakfast at the hotel. The food was ok, nothing special. The waitress we had was rather miserable and the price was average. The reception staff were very helpful and allowed us to keep our room on at no extra charge for a couple of hours which we found unusual and a nice surprise. We did get a taxi to Macys and it was around $8.00. but we walked back and it wasn't too far and quite enjoyable despite the freezing cold. We used the valet parking because I thought I had read somewhere that it was only valet parking but I gather you can park your own car. In summary a large modern hotel, handy for the airport, not too far from the shops but not in the centre of things. I don't think I would return.

• Liked — The lifts were very fast and the good bar food
  • Disliked — Small wardrobe in rooms and expensive internet access
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 20 January 2009

This is really a great hotel as long as you understand where it is located. If you're looking to walk anywhere this is really not the place for you. There's a couple restaurants a walk away but if you want to be near the downtown action, shopping, etc,. this is going to require a $10-$15 taxi each way every time. That being said, if you don't need to be right downtown and especially if you have a car the pros of this hotel well outweigh the cons. The hotel is right by the highway so it's very convenient for driving anywhere. The hotel is new and completely soundproof, we didn't hear anything (disclaimer we were on the 16th floor).

The doorman was very helpful when we arrived, offered assistance with luggage but wasn't pushy when we declined. Check-in was prompt, upgrade to top floor room with a view for SPG Gold was appreciated. The room itself was in excellent condition, very clean, spacious, great bed as always. TV is a late-model HD LG tv and has a great menu system for PPV movies, lots of titles, some in HD, very nice system. Wifi signal was weak from our room, front desk reversed the charge immediately and we connected via wired. The one cup coffee maker in the room was a great convenience.

We went over the weekend and the hotel restaurant and starbucks seemed to always be closed. The hotel now has a leased restaurant and bar off the lobby which seemed to be always open and was fine, but it would be nice if the hotel kept its own restaurant open. Food at this restaurant was very good for pub food and the service was surprisingly good.

In summary if you have a car this is a real no-brainer as the room product is far superior to the other big chain hotels in Boston as the newness of the property makes the rooms very comfortable, clean, and nice. Look it up on google maps, if you don't like the location stay elsewhere, but it's a great hotel and will remain one of my top picks in Boston.

• Liked — New and clean, great rooms, SPG is impossible to beat
  • Disliked — Limited F&B options over the weekend, no free internet
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed 15 January 2009

I have no complaints at all about the Westin for the 4 nights I stayed here for a conference.

The service is excellent, the rooms are spacious, clean and well decorated. Their staff were extremely friendly and very helpful; I was very surprised to read negative reviews.

The location isn't perfect, we needed a taxi to get to main sites but the conference I attended was at the Westin so this was the reason for staying here.

They have great conference facitilies, a Starbucks and very good restaurants.

• Liked — Spacious rooms and conference facilities
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Seattle
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I stayed at the Westin Waterfront for 5 nights for a conference. Charges for internet and food were all fairly steep (see below), but expected. What was not expected was the rude behavior of the staff. Perhaps a 20-something doesn't command the type of respect that the usual business class does, but wow. My room-mate was arriving into Boston before I was, yet I was not allowed to add his name to the room and so had to check in before he could access the room. Seriously?

When I did check in, I was given a single King bed. When I told them that I reserved 2 beds, not 1, I was given a very rude response + lecture that I was mistaken. So I pulled out my reservation printed from my computer and was then told that all they had was a handicap room with two beds. It was fine, but not what you expect at these prices.

I also stayed a night at the Doubletree Guest Suites. If you don't have to be near the convention center, I would HIGHLY recommend it over the Westin. They had larger and nicer rooms, great staff all at a much cheaper price.

Some example prices from the Westin
California omelet: $16.00
Tazo tea: $6.00
1 day of internet access: $12.95

PS - oh yeah, and there was never any hot water in the shower between 7-8 am.

• Liked — conference facilities
  • Disliked — front desk
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
6 Thank flames12
East Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 17 December 2008

My wife and I stayed here when we were up for a Red Sox game.Our stay was very nice and everything in the hotel is excellent quality.

The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. There were some nice views in the hotel but the one from our room was not great.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The checkout. The guy was new and it took 20 minutes.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WhollyHeretic
Maine
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Prompted by a Red Sox ticket offer from some friends and a day at the Science Museum thrown into the mix we decided an overnight in town would make the adventure easier. To be honest the Westin was not our first pick, nor was it the second, or third …or even the top 10, but with a week left to reserve a room before the game date it quickly became our only choice. I was surprised at not just the room prices on Boston, but also the availability or lack there of. I’m not sure if it was a busy weekend, but we tried everywhere online and via telephone for a booking. I can say that there were no conventions that I was aware of during our stay. From the experience of our stay that may have changed our overall experience. After reading reviews I was a bit apprehensive as to what to expect from the place that had now become our weekend default. We are low key, no fuss family of four.
The Weston is easy to find and easy to drive to. There are 4 levels of underground parking. You do not have to use valet parking. You can drive directly into the garage and self-park within steps to the elevators to the lobby. The garage was a bit of a tight fit with a full size truck. There would have been a problem if I did not have a couple of spaces to pick from. We checked in late on a Saturday and there were approximately by my count 15 spaces left. There is other “on your own” fee parking lots nearby and possibly some on street. There should be no parking fears here. The cost of parking for our one overnight stay was $30 and we were able to remain parked until 6pm the day of checkout. We were advised to keep our room key, swipe it and deposit it on our way out the gate. That came in handy as the game was to end sometime late in the afternoon. BTW a cab to Fenway Park from the Westin cost $15.00
Check-in process was done in reasonable time. There was a good size line when we checked in. It took about 15 minutes. The lobby however, is a great space. Plenty of seating, tastefully decorated, with a bar and a much needed albeit a more expensive Starbucks than at home. On the converse, check-out was a snap. I say that having not seen a “final bill” with all the charges applied, hidden or otherwise. We did not require any additional services.
We called the hotel directly for reservations. The room was a Double/Double 14th floor facing the Cruise terminal and the end of the Logan runways. Plenty to look at if you wish to sit and catch your breath for a few. I do wish a Queen/Queen was available for our stay. The room was well furnished in a contemporary styling, great bedding, nice carpet and window treatment. I will say the addition of flat screen televisions have made any room seem bigger and more stylish. There were plenty of channels that kept us well entertained and informed. The AC worked well although it seemed a bit loud. A steady woosh of air out of the vent was much like that of a large fan. This did cancel out most of the hallway noise that tends to be prevalent on a busy weekend, but it did not cover up the door closings or slammings as mentioned by other reviewers. Noise wise, it was far from what could be considered dead quiet. The bathroom was great. Full lighting, Kohler fixtures, double shower heads, very easy to use. As mentioned in a previous review there is no bath fan only a vent that provides natural draft venting. Skeptical I was, but it does work for odors and steam, it just may take a bit longer. There was one bathrobe in this room that was available for use. The iron in this room was broken and would not heat.
The family raved about the pool and hot tub. Both were used on two separate days. Use room key to enter the pool area, towels provided there, kid friendly (parental supervision) and if I’m not mistaken accessible 24hrs.
We decided not to eat at the restaurant in the lobby. This decision was gauged on our energy level and the appearance that it may have been too expensive for its value. Based on a few recommendations we walked (10min) to Salvatores, who but the way, serve colossal portions. Good food, well worth it and the foot traffic in the area seemed livelier than everyone has mentioned. It felt like a generally safe area. The next morning we opted for a quick bite and a latte at Starbucks instead of a sit down or eat-in breakfast.
Overall I would now consider the Westin our without fault, default. Not at the airport, not near Fenway or Quincy Market BUT, we got great a value that suited our need. Based on the savings we saw compared to the other hotel offerings, it’s “out of the wayness” was less of a hindrance when balanced with its cost. Quite clean, still new looking, well kept common areas and I thought the room was very well cleaned. What ever notions or hesitations you may have about staying here all we can say is, “You’ll Be Fine”. We would not hesitate to stay again in the future.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank nevertravels
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 8 December 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Boston Waterfront for just one evening in October 2008, while we attended a two-day conference at the Convention Center. I was disappointed we weren't at Copley Place (Boston has two convention centers), as the waterfront location was pretty desolate that weekend.

Our room had a large fluffy bed and one upholstered chair with an ottoman. My husband, who has better eyesight than I, warned me not to sit in the chair, then proceeded to point out the "skid mark" (I kid you not) on the seat cushion. Horrified and disgusted, I flipped the cushion over, to discover a large dark stain on it. Needless to say, we did not sit in that chair.

Because we were there for just one night, and spent minimal time in our room, I waited until we checked out the following morning to alert staff. They were concerned and very apologetic. But who is supervising the cleanliness of these rooms? The convention sponsor had provided us the room, and maybe if we had been paying, I would have raised hell upon check-in. But this is a Westin!! Yikes.

We stopped at the Starbucks on the morning of our check-out (and this is probably better suited to a separate review), but they do not toast bagels, and only provide bendy plastic knives for "schmearing" the cream cheese. THAT is a problem with Starbucks, however, not the Westin.

• Liked — We didn't pay for it
  • Disliked — Dirty chair
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business