“Comfy hotel -- Very good amenities and location” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #37 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Seattle, WA
“Comfy hotel -- Very good amenities and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

My boyfriend and I just returned from a four-night stay at the Boston Westin Waterfront. We enjoyed the hotel and were very pleased with our stay.

Overall: This is definitely a business hotel, and we reaped the benefits of the expanded services offered by a business hotel, even though we were on a leisure trip. We took a red-eye flight so arrived at the hotel around 7:00 am, but they were able to check us in! I know this depends on availability, but I've been to hotels where they won't even check to see if they have openings that early in the day. The front desk and concierge staff was universally friendly and helpful, even sharing some restaurant recommendations and making change. Here's one feature I loved: The hotel lobby has two computer stations where you can log in, check on your flight, and print out your boarding pass. They also have a screen in the lobby (as well as a station on the in-room TV) with what I call the "departure channel," which lists upcoming airplane departure times.

Location: I saw some complaints about the location of this hotel, but we liked it a lot and found public transportation options very easy. We were a 30-minute walk to most of the popular locations in Boston. The T stop is right across the way, and we could be at South Station in minutes. I recommend the $15 one-week LinkPass. Also very convenient to/from the airport (just hop on the Silver Line, which is a bus, to the World Trade Center Stop, go upstairs, and walk over the pedestrian bridge to the hotel). The Old Town Trolley Tour picks up and drops off right at the hotel's lobby. We didn't use a single taxi for the whole trip. There aren't restaurants, liquor/grocery stores nearby, though, so plan accordingly. (Try MJ O'Connor's at the hotel, maybe!)

Room: Our room had a great view of Boston and a bit of the harbor. We put down the see-through shade but didn't close the black-out curtains, so we woke up every day to the lovely view. The bed was very comfortable. We had all the standard in-room amenities, like single-serve coffee maker, glasses, ice bucket, bottle opener, etc. The bathroom was comfortable and equipped with lotion, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer, robe, etc. (no fan, though -- boo!). Everything functioned well, and we had enough room to spread out. The room was mostly very quiet, but we could hear people/housekeeping walking by sometimes. Everything was clean, and housekeeping was inobtrusive.

Dining: The in-room dining was very standard, but it's available 24 hours, which is nice. We ate twice at MJ O'Connor's and were very pleased with it. The food and drink were tasty (we had Dark 'n' Stormy cocktails and Harpoon beer for drinks and fish 'n' chips, chicken salad, pizza, and the fabulous hot dog platter for food), and the service was friendly and attentive. Highly recommended! We tried City Bar once, and the food was good (I think it shares a kitchen with MJ O'Connor's), but the service was pretty poor. We had breakfast one day at Sauciety. The food was pretty tasty, and the service was passable but not great. I'd call the food and drink prices very high, but it's a hotel, and it's in Boston, so we weren't surprised or put off.

I call this hotel a very good value in a very good location. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Old Bethpage, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

I arrived almost 5 hours before check-in and without any wait or fuss was provided a very large king size room with a wonderful view of the city skyline. Bed was very comfortable, great restful nights of sleep. At any off hours, they provided an immediate courtesy shuttle to take us to different parts of the city, dinner in the north end (Italian), Fenway tour, The Barking Crab restaraunt, Copley Square etc. I would also recommend the Urban AdvenTours which was a guided bike tour, it rocked!

EVERYTHING is within a walk of the hotel, including the harbour-walk which is a great way to get your body & mind going.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ExecutiveAssistant32, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you for providing such a splendid review of our hotel. We take great pride in providing outstanding customer service and your comments reinforce our committment to excellence. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to Boston!
Cumberland, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2010

Stayed here recently for a conference. Overall the proprty is ok, but I would never pay the prices for myself. Upgraded room was nice. The two major problems I had were that it took 50 minutes to check-in from the time I got in the line until I received my keys and rude service agent on the phone. I did not see any SPG Gold/Plat line at the time of check-in and the employees I asked had no idea what I was talking about. The second was that I never received my paper any morning I was there. When I called down to get one a rude female agent yelled at me saying they were already passed out. After an hour the paper showed up. If my company paid for it, I would stay there again but on my own dime I would stay somewhere else.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to provide your review. We do apologize for the length of time it took to check you in. Because the hotel was fully committed, we did have have some challenges but our Front Desk Agents did a fantastic job of keeping the check in line to a minimum so as not to inconvenience our guests.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2010

Hotel is attached to the convention centre in South Boston so perfect if you are attending an event there, if you are a tourist then be warned that it is a good 20-30 min walk into the city centre.
The staff were excellent and the rooms very modern and light, the pool tiny but gym looked better and changing rooms immaculate.
If you are at the "World Trade Centre" convention centre also in South Boston then it is a good 10 min walk, try the Renaissance instead.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We would like to point out that the Silver Line T stop is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel and the South Station T stop is only a 10 minute walk from the hotel and will take you to just about anywhere in the city quickly and efficiently. We hope you will consider staying with us for your next visit.
Parsonsfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

Stayed at the Westin Waterfront for 1 night after seeing Wicked at the Opera House. Won the Westin for a great price on Priceline at $120 per night, when the website price was $339.per night. Tried to check in at noon as we had arrived early in Boston. Was offered a room with 2 doubles instatnly or I would have to wait for a King room until approx. 3 pm. Opted to wait since we were going to walk the city anyway. Parked the car at the hotel (kinda steep at $32.00/nite) and went our merry way. Got back to the hotel at 2:30pm & checked in to be put in a King room on the 16th foor next to the Presidential Suite facing downtown Boston. WHAT A GREAT VIEW!!!!!. It was beautiful !!! The room itself was very nice with a king size bed, chair & ottoman, large flat top desk, flat panel TV & wonderful shower with double showerheads. It was very nicely done with an understated elegance. The bed (known as the Heavenly Bed at Westin) was heavenly. We had a wonderful stay and wished it was for morethan one night. We did check out the pool & fitness center which were both very nice on the Mezzanine level. The hotel is attached to the Boston Convention Center so there were hundreds of convention goers everywhere. There is a Starbucks in the lobby that had long lines the whole time we were there. There is also the Birches bar, MJ Oconnors (an irish pub),, Saucity (the Westin's restaurant) and the City Bar all off the Lobby. We had drinks in the City Bar before the theatre & thought it very nice & reasonably priced as well. Overall I would definitely recommend the Westin Waterfront to anyone who is looking for a high quality, well done 4 star experiencs. It's location in the Seaport District is a little off the beaten track, but everything is still within reach as the Silver Line T is a 5 minute walk in front of the hotel or walk to South Station in about 10-15 minutes where you can catch the subway to any part of the city. For the view we had, I would gladly give up the idea of being downtown with all the crowds.& take a leisurely walk for some much needed exercise. A-plus Westin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank robertwcook
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

Stayed 1 night at this hotel. Hotel is less than 5 minutes walk to the nearest T (subway) station. It is a peaceful place to get some rest. The room is very spacious and the bed is wonderfully comfortable to sleep in. The swimming pool is a bit small though. Free wifi only in the lobby. Hotel is beside the Boston Convention Centre, which is very convenient if you are attending a conference/function there. There is nothing exciting around the hotel and you will definitely need to use the T (subway) to explore (downtown) Boston.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
n ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

We booked this hotel as part of a two week stat=y in various locations in USA. When I told someone I was staying in The Westin, Boston they deleriously advised us we had chosen wisely and we would be staying right in the heart of things.
Unfortunately I discovered we had chosen the one at the Waterfront which is slightly removed from the heart of things. Everywhere you go oretty much require a taxi, although they are easy to get.
The hotel itself had excellent facilities. Staff were good, but the restaurant where you had to go for breakfast was overpriced. Room on 10th floor has great views.
One comment: bit of a pain having to pay for wifi in your room when it was free in the lobby area. And why did you have to pay for wifi in the business centre which were told was not part of the hotel?