“Some of the best tapas in Boston”
Review of Toro

Toro
Ranked #41 of 3,393 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: South End
Description: Toro is a Barcelona-style tapas restaurant located in Boston's South End. We serve traditional and modern Spanish-style small plates made with locally sourced and sustainable ingredients. Toro is owned and operated by James Beard Award-winning Chefs Ken Oringer & Jamie Bissonnette.
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Eclectic menu. Fun atmosphere. Can be a bit pricey because it's hard to not order a variety of food to try. The corn is every bit as good as people say it is. Not a fan of the razor clams.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Food quality was spot on, service great, atmosphere great besides rap music playing - doesn't fit the theme/ambiance. Will be back and would recommend for sure. Thanks for. Great night!

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I don't know what to think of this place. I loved the atmosphere, we had great service, and I actually didn't even mind the wait (Be prepared to wait!). But....I just didn't get the food.

Our party had the heart, tripe, uni bocadillo, the corn everyone raves about, paella Valenciana, spicy green peppers, cauliflower, pork belly, burgers, empanadas and potatoes, marrow, and figs wrapped in bacon (It was a large party, but admittedly, we over-ordered -- easy to do).

So here's the thing: ALL OF IT WAS DELICIOUS. The more exotic items, like heart, seemed to be disguised or camouflaged in a sea of fats and seasoning. So of course those would taste good, but that's just it -- I couldn't taste the flavor of the food itself. It's almost like when mom tries to hide vegetables in a dish so her kids will eat it.

The only things that I found outstanding were the figs wrapped in bacon and burgers. The flavor was incredible in that you could taste the main feature of the dish instead of just everything surrounding it.

I thought the corn was gross. It was more like butter, with a side of corn. Maybe instead of a 1/4 cup of butter on each cob, cut it back to a couple tablespoons. I don't like biting into to butter.

I definitely would recommend coming here to try the place, especially with a group of friends, but I'd also probably choose other restaurants before this one.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We had dinner at Toro on February 24th. I was expecting a huge waiting time after reading reviews on TripAdvisor, but we arrived at 6:30 pm and got spots at the bar, which we love. The bartender/waiter was super friendly and suggested great tapas and drinks for my boyfriend.

Major props to the chef for the beef heart the cod fritters.
I would definitely recommand this restaurant and will go back without a doubt.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I went to Brunch at Toro with high hopes based upon all the reviews I have read.
The service started out well however the meal and kitchen had serious issues. I ordered Picadilla de Cerdo (Crispy Pork hash with eggs over easy). They came out burned (black) on the bottom. The kitchen was trying to hide how bad they it was burned instead of making a new order. I told the waitress and she sent them back. Their second shot at the Picadilla de Cerdo was a remake of my first order. (not joke same food). They had mushed up burned pieces from my first order to reshape the hash and recooked it. If you don’t believe me take a look at my photos. My original eggs were on the plate now overcooked and no longer over easy. The fried potatoes were also now cold.
All of this could have been resolved if they just remade my order when they first burned it and made taken responsibility for a kitchen error. Mistakes happen in restaurants all the time and if the staff communicated no one ever has a problem. The staff here don’t apologize and try to hide their errors.
I also ordered Foie Gras y Piquillo as an appetizer. It did not come until after my entrée. When I asked about my missing Foie twice, the second time I was told that Foie takes a long time to cook. (Not that case if you have ever cooked or eaten foie) Another stupid lie by our waitress. The Foie was also ridiculously small for $12. Two tiny pieces on a skewer with mostly pepper on the skewer.
I also ordered the Vertresca which did arrive as an appetizer but honestly tasted like poor grade canned tuna. Not up to par by my standards for Tuna belly.
I know there are a lot of great reviews on this place, but my experience at brunch was terrible.

3  Thank Scubascott1980