“high quality modern hotel”

InterContinental Boston
Ranked #3 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed for two nights in a king club double room with a city view which we really enjoyed.
The room was modern, well furnished and spacious by city centre standards. The bathroom
was excellent but we were puzzled by the opaque sliding window between it and the bedroom.
Even when closed it flooded the bedroom with light if the bathroom light was switched on during the night.
We made use of the club lounge for breakfast each morning and were delighted with the
choice and quality of what was on offer. We also popped in one rainy evening and had
dessert and a glass of wine in comfortable surroundings.
After we checked in at the hotel late in the afternoon we were hungry and decided to get a
quick bite to eat at the downstairs bar - this proved to be less easy than we thought as the
service was very poor. Although we sat at the bar and it was not busy the staff were
more concerned with chatting to each other and checking on their phones which did not make us feel good about the place so we did not return.
All other staff we met during our stay were efficient and pleasant.
This is a very good modern hotel in a good location and we thought it was good value for what we paid - particularly the use of the club lounge.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
ICBoston, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at InterContinental Boston. Although we are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay, we cannot overlook the service challenges you experienced at RumBa and sincerely apologize for the treatment you received. I have shared your comments with our food & beverage team and necessary improvements are being made to our service. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,732)

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel check-in was very fast. The room was large and had a great view. The room was very clean and was made up in a timely fashion everyday. This was a great stay and I have no complaints at all. The bar downstairs in the lobby made good drinks at the expected high cost of a hotel bar. The valet service was as expected and fast retrieving cars. Great place to stay in downtown Boston.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoveTraveler00

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at InterContinental Boston. It is always a pleasure to hear from a guest who greatly enjoyed every aspect of their stay. We look forward to hosting you the next time you are in Boston!

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I liked this hotel, and was expecting not to because of its size and location. It really is an enormous hotel, with a cavernous, unexceptional lobby. But the room was outstanding, and it was my knowledge of Boston geography, not the hotel's location, that was faulty. The Common, North End, even the Back Bay, were all within reasonable--and relatively safe--walking distance, depending on your fondness for hour-long walks. The staff is extremely courteous and no doubt will get you where you want without too much wandering, which is part of the Boston downtown experience, anyhow. The fitness area had a gorgeous view that was not matched by the basic equipment. Still, basic or not, it was the view that ultimately forced me to make time for a daily workout. To round out my very positive experience, the hotel is a quick roundtrip to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank NolaHal

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you were pleasantly surprised by our hotel and enjoyed a positive experience. We hope you will stay with us the next time you are in Boston.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I usually don't associate friendliness and warmth with a high rise glass hotel but from the moment we stepped into the lobby, we felt welcome. We were greeted by the manager who was very effusively welcoming guests to have their photo with a fox carousel creature which would be part of a retro carousel.

Our room was a corner with windows on both sides. Keurig coffee maker, huge, deep soaking tub with windows open onto the bedroom. Very quiet. Nice lounge and very good French restaurant - Miel. Location is great, right on the water, across from the Boston Tea Party site. The only negative is the charge for wifi.

Room Tip: See if you can get a corner room.
1  Thank GitanaUSA

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at InterContinental Boston. We strive to create a friendly, welcoming atmosphere for our guests and are delighted to hear that you felt welcome the moment you stepped into our lobby. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding our Wi-Fi charge and are working on ways to improve in this area. Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 22 September 2012

We stayed in a double on the club floor. The breakfast in the club room offered blueberry pancakes, all types of breads and bagels, fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, egg quiches, sweet roles and a wonderful variety of coffees, teas, and cocoa. The evening snacks were just as delicious with sodas, chips, fresh fruits, mini burgers, and alcoholic beverages for purchase. The service here was great!

The bed was comfy, the bathroom very nice, and the room was quiet. The towels were on the small side but when everything else is great, there is no complaint.

The concierge made reservations at the Chart House for us. We received the VIP treatments and dessert was on the hotel! We met up with family at the airport. We took the water taxi from the hotel. It took a little longer than a taxi but the view was beautiful. If you have the time, take the water taxi.

The hotel is within walking distance of all the sites. Be sure to visit Quincy Market.

Everyone at the hotel was helpful and extremely friendly. I would stay here again.

2  Thank jrcc1

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at InterContinental Boston. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay and look forward to your future visit!

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I made aq mistake as a leisure traveler of staying in a hotel that is purely a business orientated establishment. A korman suites on glitz and steroids. I found it very inconvenient for anyone but the business traveler.
The rooms were pretty plain and not particularly clean and well maintained. The bathroom floor tile was so badly stained and looked so dirty it was uncomfortable to me. The area around the commode was so discolored , stained and acid etched I would not walk on the floors in my bare feet. Disgusting for a supposed luxury hotel.
The brochure said robes, but there were none. The T.V. inconvenient and the refrigerator unusable. The rugs were either dirty or worn or both. Had a greaT VIEW OF THE HARBOR THOUGH. a SAVING GRACE!The food in the restaurant average or below. Not a cozy place.
The staff was cold and unfriendly rarely smiling until tip time and not even then. I cannot fathom having a staff that seems bothered by the client. The waite staff was the worst offender, and many times did not know the menu.The food was even cafeteria like. unfortunately there was little other choice close to the hotel because everything was closed Saturday and Sunday.
The leisure traveler will not like the atmosphere; but the business traveler is right in the heart of the financial district so it will be great for them. Just business no pampering and not so good food. I will say the lobby was impressive but even thier furniture, like the beds , was just uncomfortable. Very beautiful though. I have to say I was unimpressed! I have stayed at some class establishments in Boston but this was not one of them. Save the beautiful views of the harbor there was little else to attract me to ever return. Unless I get a mutual fund going, then it could be the right place to impress !

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel if you like pampering, convienience to shopping and good restaurants and tr...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear patrick B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your stay and you felt like you could not be pampered here. We offer an infinity heated pool/sauna room. We also offer a full service spa and we have a few different restaurants onsite to choose from.

You comments on cleanliness are of utmost concern as our hotel is very proud of its level of cleanliness. We will look into your comments and do thank you for sharing them.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Perfect location near downtown, on the Rose Kennedy Greenway and within walking distance of Quincy Market, the financial district and the Childrens Museum. Our room overlooked the harbor, tea party ship and harbor walk. Service was excellent. When I was waiting at the front desk to report the clock was not working (I unplugged it and then it didn't work when I plugged it back in), the parking attendant immediately came over and asked if he could help. It wasn't his job, but he noted my room number and upon my return, it was fixed. When our luggage was brought up, the bellman offered to fill our ice bucket. A nice touch was the fruit and water in the room upon arrival. The room is spacious and comfortable. My husband was here on a business trip and I accompanied him. The room had a king sized bed which we found very comfortable with clean white sheets and duvet. The 2 pillows each were appreciated. The dark wood accents, flat screen and large desk were well used and a nice modern touch. I liked watching swivel TV from the chaise lounge.

Like many US hotel rooms, there was a stocked fridge, ice bucket with ice machine on the floor, wine glasses, soaps, shampoo/conditioner and regular size hair dryer. I really liked the Keurig coffee machine in the room and power strip on the desk for charging multiple units. The radio was ipod ready as well has having soothing background-noise choices. There is wall separating the bathroom that has a sliding window with frosted glass that can be opened. This was a european touch. This allows you to soak in the large deep tub and still look out and see the inlet and ocean. There was also a large walk-in soapstone (I think) glass enclosed shower with adjustable power head and hand held options. The towels were fluffy and shampoos/toilet paper restocked as needed. (We were here for 5 days).

I would have given a full 5 circles except for a few minor issues: The coffee creamers/sugars/spoons were never restocked. Day 2 I drank it black, Day 3 I had tea and had to call the front desk to request cream on day 4. I looked high and low and could not find any information about the amenities at the hotel. Paperwork in the room said it was on the TV. I went to the channel and it was mostly about the channels, movies, kid stuff and restaurants. I could not locate restaurant menus (there were several room service order forms and menus) or if there was a work out facility or pool available. Finally the first day, I tried to charge my ipad by unplugging the light and blew a fuse. The next day, I unplugged a lamp in another part of the room and did the same thing. Not sure what was going on with the electricity, but it's a hassle for us and for the hotel.

I would highly recommend and would definitely stay here again! Very comfortable!!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor and I liked being up higher in the hotel- better views, but that is my pers...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your recent stay at InterContinental Boston. Although we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and would highly recommend our hotel to other travelers, we cannot overlook the issues you experienced in your room and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. I have shared your comments with our management team and we are working on ways to improve in these areas. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next visit.